Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town

Armchair experts out in force again - doesn’t take much for some of our ‘loyal’ fans to turn. No wonder we were down to gates of 1900 a few years ago.

Last night wasn’t great but making sweeping judgements about players, tactics and the manager after a couple of bad results makes you sound like a five year old that has dropped all his sweets.

Indeed, football is all about opinion of what each individual sees and the beauty of football are the very differing opinions that form debates and conversations. This would be done on the terraces with friends either pre match over a pint and during the game or down the pub over a pint afterwards. This message board is just one big pub where people can offload their opinions and they are all heard. Some opinions may not sit good with some and likewise some opinions will differ 360 degrees from your own. But that’s football, many times it will divide opinion and this message board is full of different opinions some that I don’t agree with from posters and some I do but their voices must be heard it’s the purpose of the message board. Many people view each game through a critical lens and last night wasn’t that great but I (& others) shouldn’t be slaughtered for having that opinion - it’s football.

Armchair experts out in force again - doesn’t take much for some of our ‘loyal’ fans to turn. No wonder we were down to gates of 1900 a few years ago.

Last night wasn’t great but making sweeping judgements about players, tactics and the manager after a couple of bad results makes you sound like a five year old that has dropped all his sweets.

Everyone is entitled to whatever opinion they deem fit. At the end of the day we are ALL fans of the club for life whilst managers come and go. Some people are happy just to go along with whatever the manager says and does tactically and that is absolutely fine but others may want question things a little more deeply and may express it in a way that may come across that they are having a go but that is their right.
Being a fan that never questions anything the manager, Chairman, board of directors or anyone connected with the club ever does doesn't make you or anyone else who chooses this way to support the club any better a supporter than somebody who will question everything any of the above do.
I would never come on here and criticise anyone who is happy to go along without ever asking any questions but there seems a few people that as soon as you give the slightest bit of criticism or negative comment they jump down your throat with this holier than thou I'm a better fan than you stuff which is just bullsh!t.
Yes you do get sometimes get some ridiculous comments but if that's how people feel and that's their opinion so be it, they can be asked to justify that.
I'm not aiming this just at you MaineRoad but if I feel the need pass a comment that may be a bit negative towards the team, manager, chairman or whoever I, and others should be able to do so without having to endure the remember where we were, short memory, snidy comment brigade"

Disclaimer to start with I haven't watched the game (other than 2 min highlights) so might be wide of the mark here. A few comments have been made about the positions Hooper was in on the pitch, isn't that by design (ie plan B) to draw central defenders out of position and create space centrally for others to exploit. If he stays centrally it means wingers only getting more space wide out and then crossing, with a packed defence and no really aeriel threat there's no point. Either way it didn't work well enough :(

Everyone is entitled to whatever opinion they deem fit. At the end of the day we are ALL fans of the club for life whilst managers come and go. Some people are happy just to go along with whatever the manager says and does tactically and that is absolutely fine but others may want question things a little more deeply and may express it in a way that may come across that they are having a go but that is their right.
Being a fan that never questions anything the manager, Chairman, board of directors or anyone connected with the club ever does doesn't make you or anyone else who chooses this way to support the club any better a supporter than somebody who will question everything any of the above do.
I would never come on here and criticise anyone who is happy to go along without ever asking any questions but there seems a few people that as soon as you give the slightest bit of criticism or negative comment they jump down your throat with this holier than thou I'm a better fan than you stuff which is just bullsh!t.
Yes you do get sometimes get some ridiculous comments but if that's how people feel and that's their opinion so be it, they can be asked to justify that.
I'm not aiming this just at you MaineRoad but if I feel the need pass a comment that may be a bit negative towards the team, manager, chairman or whoever I, and others should be able to do so without having to endure the remember where we were, short memory, snidy comment brigade"

Got no problem with people criticising a poor performance. Last night wasn’t great, but it’s the sweeping judgements I don’t get - in a week we’ve gone from being world beaters to a struggling League One side.

And I think it’s important to remember where we’ve come from. There will come a time when we go a whole season without winning most weeks, and that’ll be the red of our ‘loyal’ fan base.

I wasn't able to watch the match last night so my take on it is from the report on bbc sport and the Lincolnshire Live blog plus this thread.
I am a big supporter of MA and what he has achieved this season.
I like the fact that he has defended his players performance in public, but wouldn't be surprised that he has given some of them a rollicking behind closed doors.
However, i think he should have made some changes at either half time or ealier in the second half. I think Harry should have been on earlier and Zak should have been given a chance. But MA is only human he has got so much right this season that he is entitled to make the odd mistake.
The biggest problem we have at the moment is the inbalance of youth and experience available to play. 3 of our most experienced players are injured.
Without Bridcutt and Mcgrandles we lack a player in midfield to do the donkey work ,give extra cover to the back four and allow the likes of Grant to do the creative work. Until one of them is back I think we are going to struggle in that department.
All teams hit a bad spell occasionally during a season , let's hope this is ours and we can soon put it behind us.

That's a horrible thing to say.
I agree , but when you see James Jones halfway in the opposing half pass back to his keeper it makes you think. There are alot of posts that highlight the fact that as we approach their penalty area theres no one to pass to and no one has the nerve to shoot .
Lets also admit that they scored last night through messing about in front of our own goal . instead of clearing our lines.

I agree , but when you see James Jones halfway in the opposing half pass back to his keeper it makes you think. There are alot of posts that highlight the fact that as we approach their penalty area theres no one to pass to and no one has the nerve to shoot .
Lets also admit that they scored last night through messing about in front of our own goal . instead of clearing our lines.

Several players first touch and short passing was astray last night, players who normally have excellent qualities in this department, Scully and Grant in particular. That's the first sign to me that these players are tired, knackered even. Can't blame them for that, they have put everything into recent games and I wouldn't be surprised if it continues for the next few games over Xmas. I think MA is fighting injuries in the squad and a brutal fixture list and desperately trying to keep things going while he waits for some of his players to heal up.

If we can still be in the playoff mix after the further brutal fixture list over Xmas I think MA will have done incredibly well...

Missed the match thread fixing a laptop, I did watch though. Disappointing last couple of games, but what a great start we've had. We may slip a little further, but hard to be negative.

I don’t know that the number of games played should figure into this too much. Just for reference, so far this season by my math we have played 25 games overall. Last season by 15/12 we had played 26 and the season before we had played 29.

I don’t know that the number of games played should figure into this too much. Just for reference, so far this season by my math we have played 25 games overall. Last season by 15/12 we had played 26 and the season before we had played 29.

The season started a month later remember though.

Its the frequency of games.

They scored last night from us messing about at the back is an understatement. That messing about at the back misses that we went from an attacking position with no attempt at goal forthcoming, via 3 or 4 players not under any pressure from the opposition to passing it around at the back...............which is when they did pressure us.

We were in a crossing position before we played it backward, then more backward, then more backward, then.......Oops.

I'm loving the positivity Hoof. I just think that January will be massive and will be the turning point of the season for better or worse.

Let's see how we get on with the ins and outs. It is important to keep accruing points now though to make us an attractive proposition to stay at or join during the transfer window.

And staying positive, and following my own logic, another defeat to take us even closer to the title and promotion ! 😀😀

Wrong team selection (Gotts, Anderson and Elbo should all have started). Wrong substitions (or rather, lack of them). Wrong analysis of the game in the post match interview.

I just hope MA takes a second look at the game and realises how poor we were and makes changes for Saturday. Yes we have injuries, but there were players on the bench tonight that could have won that game for us.

... and he's not listened and picked the same wrong side again!!