Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

Great effort, in the end it was a game to far against strong opposition. The game hinges on a few key moments, the House miss just after half time and of course the penalty.

We would have never of thought of being in this position at Christmas, so to keep the season alive is a testament to all.

Going into next year we have the foundations for a good side. However in my opinion, we need to work on being better with the ball and like to think with a bigger budget we can attract some better technical players. We were looking for the killer ball today from players who don’t have that in their locker. An exciting summer ahead, and with a full preseason under Skubala I really think we can challenger the top 7.

It's alright saying this and that for next season but it's all about taking your opportunities when they are there right in front of you because you dont know when theyll come round again and unfortunately we have just come up short.

True we have worked incredibly hard since Skubala came in and since the turn of the year and the turnaround has been remarkable and hopefully that will be built on during the pre-season and taking us into the next seasons campaign.

Today we didn't come out the blocks at a 100 mph like we should of done. They controlled the first half, had far too much room in midfield and it was far to easy for them to keep the ball and really they were just too good for us in that first 45 minutes and it seemed only a matter of time before they scored.

Second half we were better and were in the game alot more and did create some half chances. The lifeline was given to us with the penalty and I think if we had scored it I think we would of closed the game out because all we needed was to win and we would of been good enough to see the match out if we had of taken the lead.

Going the goal down though meant that we had to make the substitutions because we needed the victory and yes that left us susceptible at the back but if we hadn't had made the changes I think there would of been alot more people asking why we hadn't gone for it when we needed to win.

All in all a very disappointing afternoon. I think we never quite reached the heights of the Barnsley, Camebridge and Bristol Rovers week in the last few games and although we still got some great results we just couldn't quite get the midfield right to power us over finishing line into the playoffs but take nothing away from the run we have been on since the turn of the year, its been brilliant and hopefully, we'll recharge our batteries, add a bit more quality to the squad and we will have more of the same to look forward to next season.

Did see on one of the sites their keeper got MOM for them. Did notice his quality with the ball at his feet

It's alright saying this and that for next season but it's all about taking your opportunities when they are there right in front of you because you dont know when theyll come round again and unfortunately we have just come up short.

True we have worked incredibly hard since Skubala came in and since the turn of the year and the turnaround has been remarkable and hopefully that will be built on during the pre-season and taking us into the next seasons campaign.

Today we didn't come out the blocks at a 100 mph like we should of done. They controlled the first half, had far too much room in midfield and it was far to easy for them to keep the ball and really they were just too good for us in that first 45 minutes and it seemed only a matter of time before they scored.

Second half we were better and were in the game alot more and did create some half chances. The lifeline was given to us with the penalty and I think if we had scored it I think we would of closed the game out because all we needed was to win and we would of been good enough to see the match out if we had of taken the lead.

Going the goal down though meant that we had to make the substitutions because we needed the victory and yes that left us susceptible at the back but if we hadn't had made the changes I think there would of been alot more people asking why we hadn't gone for it when we needed to win.

All in all a very disappointing afternoon. I think we never quite reached the heights of the Barnsley, Camebridge and Bristol Rovers week in the last few games and although we still got some great results we just couldn't quite get the midfield right to power us over finishing line into the playoffs but take nothing away from the run we have been on since the turn of the year, its been brilliant and hopefully, we'll recharge our batteries, add a bit more quality to the squad and we will have more of the same to look forward to next season.
We actually made the change before they scored

Jimmy Greaves has been quoted many thousands of times.
But football is indeed a funny old game.
Full of ups and downs.
Twists and turns.
Elation and despair.
what ifs and buts.
But that is why we are fans
After being induced into a coma for the first part of the season watching utter garbage and loooking over our shoulder at the bottom four, we got to the last game with still something to play for. Skubala and his team have been a
revelation for us. With virtually the same squad of players with the exception of Taylor and Draper. (Cant count Mcgrandles wasnt available long enough) he has produced a team capable of entertaining and winning matches. Who knows if we hadn't suffered the recent injury to an in form Bishop and both Hamilton and Mcgrandles gone for the season could we have made the playoffs?
If House hadn't missed a nearly open goal today before Mandriou slipped for the penalty. Then O'connor had another good chance as well all before we had to throw caution to the wind and eventually got caught out.?
That's the ifs and buts for you!

I am a bit down but very proud to be an Imps fan. Every season the recruitement is vital but even more so this upcoming season. We have everything in place to have a go next year. Great management team, new investors several quality players in squad.. Moving forwards its how we can add to that quality of player and also if we can retain our better players as well. We know we are not a rich club that can turn down decent offers for our players. But we need to make sure we get decent transfer money for anyone we may be forced to sell and then have replacements lined up.
Could be an interesting close season.
Take care everyone for once we have many reasons to look forward to next season.

While we had Walker back on the squad, (but inevitably not match fit), since the 3 high scoring games in March we've lost Bishop and Hackett.

Not surprising they haven't hit the heights of those 3 games but they have shown a lot of grit and determination to keep that play off spot in range.

While we had Walker back on the squad, (but inevitably not match fit), since the 3 high scoring games in March we've lost Bishop and Hackett.

Not surprising they haven't hit the heights of those 3 games but they have shown a lot of grit and determination to keep that play off spot in range.

Yeah, that's what I said.

Been a fantastic and exciting ride since Christmas . With all the injuries we have had etc. None of us should be complaining about what has happened today. Look forward to next season when MS recruits in the summer.

Yup, a bit of naïvety from Skubala, but it must feel horrific needing to do something, anything, to change the game. And very easy to say in hindsight, of course. I've no doubt he will learn and we will be stronger for it next year.
Maybe, but, if he’d waited longer before making changes there would have been claims he should have done something earlier!! Fans are brilliant strategists in hindsight.

Today really illustrated how much we need to improve next season. I thought we were totally outplayed by a Portsmouth team that made 6 changes from their last game and still had a system that was far more efficient and effective than ours. Yes, their timewasting was awful to watch - but if we had have done it winning 1-0, we would be applauding it.

We couldn't get near the ball the first 25 minutes. Even though Portsmouth didn't do a lot with it, starving us of possession killed the advantage a sell-out crowd might have given us.

Our midfield injuries and lack of depth in that midfiekd area finally came back to bite us, as many thought it would eventually. However it doesn't take anything away from the incredible job Skoobs, Shaw and Cohen have done. They will learn (and they made mistakes today with their substitutions) and, with the backing of JG and the board, they will come back stronger in August.

Personally I can't wait!