Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

FT. Portsmouth clearly a good team but the injuries really beat us tonight. You can’t lose quality players like us and not suffer. Just unfortunate it was against one of the best teams in the league. Oh well - onward and upward.

Deserved win to Pompey, but we still kept trying.

We can and will learn from this game.

Given how folk anticipated the game to go, perhaps as reasonable a match in which to have key players recovering from injury.

On to Saturday, FGR to beat and then a week's rest.

Come on you Imps!!!!!!!

well, they were a couple of gears better than doncaster.
it was like our game with crewe, in reverse. but with better finishing.

positives:
anderson. palmer. johnson still looked dangerous.
as a team we tried to keep going.
forest green might be good, but they won't be this good.

Certainly second best tonight but some positives. Heads didn't drop and lots of spirit in the last 20 minutes. You see the difference though in a young team trying that little bit too hard to try and get back into a game. Experienced heads are vital in those situations

Good things:

+ Kept going at the end
+ Tom Hopper goal
+ Anderson did well when he came on

Bad things:

- Squad depth exposed a bit (no Montsma huge loss)
- Gave away soft goals - first way too easy, third could have cleared so many times!
- Gotts struggled on debut (not blaming him, hard to come in second best position in tough game). Reminded me of Bradley v Liverpool unfortunately.
- McGrandles/Jones have their qualities in energy etc but not sure about us breaking well organised teams down

No complaints about that, Portsmouth are very good, I have no idea why they are not top. That is one of the top two places taken, I reckon. We needed our full team to get anything there, and the spine of the side was out injured.

I blame good squad discipline for adhering to covid rules and not getting matches called off. So having to play all these games and so getting injuries.

:clown:

Well beaten by a good Portsmouth side who showed the difference in resources and some experience.

Not disgraced and the game probably came at the wrong time for us at the end of a sustained period of back to back matches v teams towards the top of the table with some important players missing for us.

A bit of a freshen up v FGR with fingers crossed for a win and then some well deserved rest. I haven't looked at the next 11 fixtures but I am in no doubt that theoretically they won't be as tough as the opening 11.

Makepeace, "30 minutes to get back into the game!"
Thommo gives Jackson man of the match?

Enjoyed the game as had very low expectations of result from the start. Portsmouth exposed our weaknesses and really shows the areas we need to improve on.

No complaints with the result, Portsmouth a much better team. Up until the point where Harry came on that was the worst we've played all season.

A few players didn't perform to their best, midfield completely lost the battle. Portsmouth very organised and will probably go up via automatics. We probably would have struggled to break them down even if we were on our A game. Hopper does a job and links play well, but I think his lack of pace sometimes limits us. Hopefully his goal gives him a boost.

Bit disappointed with the quality of our corners.

We are in desperate need for a bit of a break to give our starters a rest. Can see a much changed squad going in for the cup game.

The short break from league action has definitely come at the right time for us. We need to give some lads a proper break now which will make the FA Cup on Saturday a challenge but that's just the way it has to be.

Slightly worried about the FGR game now after two losses and with a few people out.

Once you have a few people out and then rotate on the top of that, we could be quite short?