Match Thread: Lincoln City v Port Vale | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Port Vale

It's all been said above, but we looked very good in patches and bodes well for next season, and a late well deserved winner at last to celebrate. This game was certainly not boring with an unpredictable ref , eventful you might say !!

Taylor barged into Rushworth, terrible refereeing, and after that he completely lost the plot
Must admit, watching on I-Follow, my first thought was that there was equal blame and would result in two yellow cards. Was quite shocked with the penalty and sending off. Love and hate Taylor, but he did what Taylor does, which is get under the skin of the opposition - he certainly appeared to be giving as good as he got. Wonder if there’s enough for the club to appeal the red?

I think MK simply did what he had to do to keep us up with the squad he had been handed, he has hinted at such in interviews. Now that safety is almost guaranteed, he can take the shackles off. Pragmatism v Entertainment, if you like. I think that was the right decision, and he can now build his own squad over the summer and play how he wants to play. All the same, he may well secure the club's third highest league finish in 40 years.
So can you explain how during our long spell when pragmatism was favoured over entertainment our points tally per game so considerably lower than when we were allowed to attack and entertain. This is a rubbish excuse and the facts say he got his tactics for most of the season very wrong.

As an aside Mike Hine on physio duties for Vale
The whole dugout for Vale yesterday was bizarre. Darryl Clarke, the manager, was sat on his chair 5 yards away and hardly stood up. Carlo Nash, Andy Crosby and David Dunn, all ex pro players, were on their feet screaming instructions and abusing the officials constantly 5 yards out of their area. The 4th official gave up trying to control them after they told him to F*ck off for about the 5th time. David Flitcroft, their Director of Football, was sat up in the stands watching. That’s a hell of a coaching staff and would cost a small fortune

So can you explain how during our long spell when pragmatism was favoured over entertainment our points tally per game so considerably lower than when we were allowed to attack and entertain. This is a rubbish excuse and the facts say he got his tactics for most of the season very wrong.
....you watch football every week....

....do you think Sanders and Erhahon bring the same things to a match

....do you think Diamond and Shodipo bring the same things to a match

...do you think Boyes and Roughan bring the same things to a match

Then ask yourself whether we are better equipped to play better football now or in December.

It's obvious ....well I thought it was ...

perhaps all players are the same.

The whole dugout for Vale yesterday was bizarre. Darryl Clarke, the manager, was sat on his chair 5 yards away and hardly stood up. Carlo Nash, Andy Crosby and David Dunn, all ex pro players, were on their feet screaming instructions and abusing the officials constantly 5 yards out of their area. The 4th official gave up trying to control them after they told him to F*ck off for about the 5th time. David Flitcroft, their Director of Football, was sat up in the stands watching. That’s a hell of a coaching staff and would cost a small fortune

sounds like a load of shouty knobs no wonder they are in free fall. Who is actually in charge. I bet none of them know so they just waive their willies in the air

I suspect this is the football he wants to play but it comes with risk as the above post says when you have nothing to lose you can play with freedom and expression. We might do the same Tuesday and get done 3 nil but at least we know we are not going to get relegated. If we had played like we did at Chippenham and Bristol Rovers (the matches I have seen in person) we would be following FGR.

Player development!
How we're playing now has probably not been possible throughout large parts of the season due to the available players not having the attributes to play in this way, but a season with MK has developed those attributes throughout the squad.
Plus, MK has developed over the season as well.

As has been said, yesterday was great entertainment. We scored three excellent goals. Duffy looked really good when he came on, some excellent crosses.

House did well not to get sent off, as I think PV had that as part of their plan.

The Jacko late header reminded me of the national league promotion season. Hopefully it will have encouraged a few more ST sales.

....you watch football every week....

....do you think Sanders and Erhahon bring the same things to a match

....do you think Diamond and Shodipo bring the same things to a match

...do you think Boyes and Roughan bring the same things to a match

Then ask yourself whether we are better equipped to play better football now or in December.

It's obvious ....well I thought it was ...

perhaps all players are the same.
Well if you watch football every week Chimp you will see it’s not just the personal, it’s a complete change in attitude and outlook. The wingbacks have suddenly started playing like wingbacks, Boyes or Roughan hardly ever got over the halfway line until a month ago, the wide strikers ( Mandy and Shodipo) at the moment are playing narrower so giving space for the wingbacks to attack. Jackson scored a late goal from open play yesterday would you believe, a month ago we would have shut up shop after 75 minutes trying not lose against 9 men. Boyes and Shodipo have been with us since January but MK preferred Diamond and Roughan until a month ago until an injury and Diamonds misdemeanour forced a change.

I suspect this is the football he wants to play but it comes with risk as the above post says when you have nothing to lose you can play with freedom and expression. We might do the same Tuesday and get done 3 nil but at least we know we are not going to get relegated. If we had played like we did at Chippenham and Bristol Rovers (the matches I have seen in person) we would be following FGR.
Respect your opinion Bristol but the Bristol Rovers game was when we were trying to attack and won 6-2, the Chippenham embarrassment was when we were in full defensive mode and didn’t even try to attack a p*ss poor non league bottom of the table team and had one shot on goal in 90 minutes. The points per game stats indicate if we had played the boring rigid ‘style’ all season we would be down there with FGR.

Respect your opinion Bristol but the Bristol Rovers game was when we were trying to attack and won 6-2, the Chippenham embarrassment was when we were in full defensive mode and didn’t even try to attack a p*ss poor non league bottom of the table team and had one shot on goal in 90 minutes. The points per game stats indicate if we had played the boring rigid ‘style’ all season we would be down there with FGR.

the rovers game was a horror show. If we had played Ipswich we would have lost 10 nil. We got lucky as we were playing against a team with a 40 year old midfielder in defence

And their Manager was given a 5 year contract earlier this season I believe. On their forum a lot of their fans bemoaning this fact. That's a hell of a long contract for a Manager at this level.

the rovers game was a horror show. If we had played Ipswich we would have lost 10 nil. We got lucky as we were playing against a team with a 40 year old midfielder in defence
If I remember Bristol a month ago you stated you could not warrant £10 to sit at home in comfort and watch our games via ifollow because of our ‘style’ and how bad we were and you preferred to clean your oven. Don’t try to defend the indefensible please.

If I remember Bristol a month ago you stated you could not warrant £10 to sit at home in comfort and watch our games via ifollow because of our ‘style’ and how bad we were and you preferred to clean your oven. Don’t try to defend the indefensible please.

you are right it wasn’t worth the money (I don’t have a season ticket and I have limited free time - I paid £10 and it was awful and it pissed me off when I could have used the time else where) but I understand why it was done!

you are right it wasn’t worth the money (I don’t have a season ticket and I have limited free time - I paid £10 and it was awful and it losses me off) but I understand why it was done!
Even though the tactics meant we accumulated less points per game than when we try to attack (proven fact) and p*ssed off most diehard supporters. I despise dull defensive football and and will always speak out against managers who play that way. I can understand setting up that way when we are away at Ipswich, Wednesday etc but cannot forgive or condone the football we’ve endured this season. The last month has just shown how enjoyable football can be, not just the winning but the attempt to win has been there.

And their Manager was given a 5 year contract earlier this season I believe. On their forum a lot of their fans bemoaning this fact. That's a hell of a long contract for a Manager at this level.

I would suspect he will have a termination/ sacking/ release clause written into that contract somewhere.