Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town

I am sick of hearing the away fan's celebrating when I leave the ground , what ever happened to fortress Sincil Bank? ( if it ever existed)
I’m in L7 and it’s been noticeable the atmosphere is becoming flatter as the years go on
Most people turn up but the attention often is chatting with other fans/looking at phones/leaving -returning from a HT beer
We’re a good away day for most teams I’d guess both on and off the pitch

We have been very unlucky with our injuries but lots of clubs go through this. MS can only work with what he has got until next week and even then, not sure many will come in. Would the Cowleys have got more points in December? I believe so but that ship has passed, for now. I believe that our recruitment has been poor overall the last couple of seasons with some notable exceptions. For me, the fault here lies with Jez George and the recruitment team. I do think we will be okay this season and end up about 13th or 14th as it is a poorer league. It looks like it will be much stronger next and I fear that if we don’t get things right in the two upcoming windows, we will be in a 24-25 season relegation battle.

I am sorry but I am going to be another negative pessimistic poster. Really sorry if that pisses some of you off.
But I believe in calling it as I see it and am always delighted when I am proved to be wrong.
However I am really worried we are in a rut and a bad run that if not halted could turn into a disastrous run. But I struggle to see when and how this bad run will be halted. Skubala definitely needs to be given a chance due to the short time he has been here and hopefully some decent recruitment in January will see our team 'blossom'. And he talks a good game in his interviews and sounds a nice sensible chap. But I have yet to see any proof of his so called coaching ability.
Does anybody disagree that the Adelukan long throw tactic is an utter waste of time? In fact it led to their breakaway second goal last night. Surely by now any decent coach would have realised that that tactic needed binning. And we actually got some corners last night but again played them low to the near post apart from a quality corner from Hamilton that led to the goal. Is the goalkeeping coach coaching Jensen on distribution? If he is he isn't doing a very good job.
There are so many things wrong at the moment that it is very worrying.
Players looked bewildered at times and unsure about were they are supposed to be playing. I know Erhahon got injured but he is in a bad run of form at the moment and his body language said to me he isn't particularly happy.

Hopefully things will come good and all my moaning will have been misguided but I care about my club and things just don't seem to have improved since MK.
Feel free to call me out for whingeing.

It's the old "purple patches" syndrome. We have a decent first 15 minutes when we look okay, then the next 20 to 30 minutes we struggle to pass to our own players with any form of consistancy.
Kicks from Jensen start to go out on the full. Hoofs upfield generally land with the opposition and we are under pressure.
This process is repeated in the second half, although last night our purple patch was at the end of the half.
As someone who has only ever played five-a-side with mates I wouldn't know how to put right what is going wrong but I can see something is off.
The return of our three long term injured forwards would help but I'm not naive enough to believe this will cure all our ills.
I can't understand why Shodipo doesn't get a start, or Duffy.
If we're struggling without our preffered forwards how will playing one young inexperienced lad on his own up front help us win? That might be okay if we've decided to forego an attack, heavily fortify defence and settle for a point each game but we're not managing to do that either.
Looking like a tough season now but hey, If I wanted to watch a winning team every week I'd go and support Liverpool. Keep going fellas. UTI!

Not sure if it has been mentioned but I thought their second goal was exquisite. The fine upland green pastures of Sincil Bank seemed to open up, with a number of their players breaking at pace, something we can only aspire to.
We were purring over that goal, it was beautifully worked.

Northampton and Bolton have the 11th and 9th longest-serving managers in the EFL respectively and you could really tell from the way they played against us. Both teams clearly have an identity and a cohesion which can only be achieved by consistency of personnel and playing style over several months and years. We are badly lacking an identity but the only way to get one is sticking by the manager and backing him in the transfer market.

Walking away from the ground last night all I could think of was "How do we get the game at Blackpool called off?", and hope the gap to Wycombe is going to give us an improvement.
My lad had a good idea, "Cover the ground in orange netting!", maybe the local Fire Brigade will waterlog the pitch!

I am sorry but I am going to be another negative pessimistic poster. Really sorry if that pisses some of you off.
But I believe in calling it as I see it and am always delighted when I am proved to be wrong.
However I am really worried we are in a rut and a bad run that if not halted could turn into a disastrous run. But I struggle to see when and how this bad run will be halted. Skubala definitely needs to be given a chance due to the short time he has been here and hopefully some decent recruitment in January will see our team 'blossom'. And he talks a good game in his interviews and sounds a nice sensible chap. But I have yet to see any proof of his so called coaching ability.
Does anybody disagree that the Adelukan long throw tactic is an utter waste of time? In fact it led to their breakaway second goal last night. Surely by now any decent coach would have realised that that tactic needed binning. And we actually got some corners last night but again played them low to the near post apart from a quality corner from Hamilton that led to the goal. Is the goalkeeping coach coaching Jensen on distribution? If he is he isn't doing a very good job.
There are so many things wrong at the moment that it is very worrying.
Players looked bewildered at times and unsure about were they are supposed to be playing. I know Erhahon got injured but he is in a bad run of form at the moment and his body language said to me he isn't particularly happy.

Hopefully things will come good and all my moaning will have been misguided but I care about my club and things just don't seem to have improved since MK.
Feel free to call me out for whingeing.

You are right Rusk. Last night got me worried too. A total lack of tactics. No attacking moves other than that hopeful crossfield pass trying to find the opposite full back, which we all got sick of under Kennedy.

Jensen not knowing what to do with the ball to start off an attack, and when we were chasing the game he just seemed to kick for touch.

Terrible set pieces. Overuse of the long throw when we have not had anyone at the club since Hopper who can win the ball in the air from them.

Appalling and desperate substitutions, as though MS had heard the criticism about being too defensive and just threw on as many forwards as he could with no balance or sense. When the last three subs came on at once, we were actually starting to get back in the game. Changing three players just stopped that dead - nobody after that had any idea where they were supposed to be playing.

If Moylan takes 6 months to settle in and if we decide we can get more money for Draper by leaving him at Walsall, we could be fighting relegation by Easter.

If Moylan takes 6 months to settle in and if we decide we can get more money for Draper by leaving him at Walsall, we could be fighting relegation by Easter.
I fear for the likes of Draper & Moylan as the expectation for them to deliver will be sky high. Our expectation on Makama and even Vale is/was too much & neither have come anywhere near delivering.
Draper (for his sake) is better off staying at the Saddlers where he can continue to build his confidence.
Now a confession, after recent performances and costs I couldn’t be bothered to attend last nights game. First home game I’ve missed this season, a touch of man flu, a cold night and a a belief that we would make hard work of an average opposition persuaded me to stay in the warm. I’m glad I did. Sorry if that offends the die hards.
When do the season tickets go on sale?!?!

Not sure if it has been mentioned but I thought their second goal was exquisite. The fine upland green pastures of Sincil Bank seemed to open up, with a number of their players breaking at pace, something we can only aspire to.

Turned to my lad and said that's one of the best goals I've seen at our place for such a long time. Reminded me of Norton-Cuffy's one against Wednesday a while back. Love us to play like that even in short periods

Walking away from the ground last night all I could think of was "How do we get the game at Blackpool called off?", and hope the gap to Wycombe is going to give us an improvement.
My lad had a good idea, "Cover the ground in orange netting!", maybe the local Fire Brigade will waterlog the pitch!

Any supporters who travel to Blackpool on New Years Day after recent performances deserve some sort of medal to be honest!

Any supporters who travel to Blackpool on New Years Day after recent performances deserve some sort of medal to be honest!
I was planning on going but having some second thoughts... a hangover looks like it'll be similarly appealing!

I think my view at the moment is that 'evolution not revolution' was a fine mantra but at the moment it's hard to say there has been much evolving... I think it's a good thing it wasn't the Appleton style shock therapy where we changed quite dramatically (don't have the players to do that) but I'm a bit disappointed we haven't seen a bit more or a bounce.

I find it hard to believe if Tom Shaw had got it we'd look much different and probably would be saying we need to get out of a bit of a purgatory-style state where we're waiting to move on to the next thing, and he at least had the Charlton performance albeit against a bit of a naive away performance. Since a battling effort at Wigan it has been pretty dire.

Lots of mitigating factors we know - the forward line, an over reliance on players we really don't want to be here at all, red cards, lack of time on the training pitch, couple of tricky opponents in there... but still think I expected a little bit more. After some initial encouragement it's pretty underwhelming and disappointing stuff.

Unfortunately the second goal for Cambridge displayed everything that we haven't got at the moment.
Breaking at pace with plenty of support. Neat and clever passing and a quality finish. Game over.
Plus it came from another pointless Adelukan long throw.
Could we have scored that type of goal at the moment? I very much doubt it.

Turned to my lad and said that's one of the best goals I've seen at our place for such a long time. Reminded me of Norton-Cuffy's one against Wednesday a while back. Love us to play like that even in short periods
Yup it was good goal. This is how you play football , not futsal..

I was planning on going but having some second thoughts... a hangover looks like it'll be similarly appealing!

I think my view at the moment is that 'evolution not revolution' was a fine mantra but at the moment it's hard to say there has been much evolving... I think it's a good thing it wasn't the Appleton style shock therapy where we changed quite dramatically (don't have the players to do that) but I'm a bit disappointed we haven't seen a bit more or a bounce.

I find it hard to believe if Tom Shaw had got it we'd look much different and probably would be saying we need to get out of a bit of a purgatory-style state where we're waiting to move on to the next thing, and he at least had the Charlton performance albeit against a bit of a naive away performance. Since a battling effort at Wigan it has been pretty dire.

Lots of mitigating factors we know - the forward line, an over reliance on players we really don't want to be here at all, red cards, lack of time on the training pitch, couple of tricky opponents in there... but still think I expected a little bit more. After some initial encouragement it's pretty underwhelming and disappointing stuff.
Tbf, right now I’m all for revolution.

I am not sure about that, should we back Skubala?

We are getting worse by the game, and in no way can that be attributable to losing Hackett, Walker and House.
Apologies if anyone else says what I'm going to say, I only got to page 12 before deciding to write.
I feel really sorry for Michael Skubala at the minute. My comparison to his situation currently is like giving a Michelin starred chef a loaf of bread and a tin of beans and asking him to create a five star meal for royalty. Does anyone honestly think that we would have lost to Northampton if Hackett, Walker and House had been on the pitch. Clearly their injuries are attributable to our poor form at the minute, we would be a completely different team with House chasing up front, it would take the pressure off our overworked midfield, and give us the attacking options that we desperately need. I just don't understand what anyone thinks Skubala and Shaw can do differently with what they have to work with. I go to games now, home and away, hoping for a point, because despite us being pretty sound defensively, I can't see where goals are coming from. Given that we can't change the manager every month, and we can't afford to recruit a completely new forward line in January, let's get behind the owners, management and players, get through this season remaining in League 1, and see where the summer takes us. It's a tough disappointing watch at the minute, but pointing fingers at the tactics, recruitment and players really is going to get us absolutely nowhere. UTI