Match Thread: Lincoln City v Mansfield Town | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Mansfield Town

Poor game. I don't think we deserved to lose but equally we didn't deserve to win. And that's worrying because although Mansfield are much fancied, I really didn't think they were very good at all. We're struggling for goals and I don't really think that will change much until January when we can bring someone else in. I also remain really concerned about the size of the squad, one injury to a central midfielder or centre back and we're in big trouble. I still think we'll challenge for the play offs but we're definitely not going to get automatic like so many on here were laughably predicting.

Disappointed with the result, but it is only our second defeat of the season. A shame we didn't get another striker in, though, as we are still lacking up top.

A draw would have been a fair result. Why the clown in the middle didn't blow for a foul (which ended up leading to their goal) is beyond me.

Officials were a disgrace.

Disappointing result of course, but as DC often says we shouldn't get too low when we lose or too high when we win.
This league is very tight, a little bit of luck or a couple of decisions our way today and we could easily have won that game 1-0. I think the whole season is going to be one of fine margins and given DC and NC's record I would back them to win far more than they lose. We go again next week in what is sure to be another tight match at County...

Surprised only one person's mentioned it but goal was down to Habergham being soundly beaten to a ball that should have been his all day long. Which then resulted into the ball into the box.

Don't want to be too harsh on Sam - even he must have a bad game once in a while! - but even if he's fit, don't think he's match sharp, he noticeably gave the ball away several times in the first half too.

Don't think it was coincidence that we got the substitution/full-back switch shortly after.

Haven't read this thread but fed up now of being let down by Farman and crosses. If you rate him then accept that sometimes it's his fault. If you don't rate him then accept that those people that rate him will try to find scapegoat.

Skip155 - 16/9/2017 22:01

Haven't read this thread but fed up now of being let down by Farman and crosses. If you rate him then accept that sometimes it's his fault. If you don't rate him then accept that those people that rate him will try to find scapegoat.

Thought he'd should done better at the time and the video confirmed it

The quality of Gks weve played against this season certainly is noticeable

Farman = non league keeper. Rhead = non league striker. Waterfall = non league centre half. 1 out of the 3 has seemingly been corrected, just need the other 2 now. Could add Arnold but as he's injured he can be excused. Really poor today, talk of play offs/promotion utterly delusional.

Just seen the Mansfield goal on TV and as I thought at the time Farman should have done better with the cross. It was floated in and there's no other way to describe it but he flapped at it and completely missed it allowing the smallest player on the park (Danny Rose) a free header.
Just like to add that there was a stonewall penalty not given when Mirfin handled Knotts goal bound shot.

They just parked the bus and we couldn't find a way through. Agree we take too long with our build-up play at times, but they just smothered everything that came anywhere near their box with numbers behind the ball and players throwing their bodies in the way. We would have been proud of that away performance. Guess its a compliment that the Stags felt they had to play that way to get anything from the game and a bonus they managed to score with their only chance.

Mattytindraws - 16/9/2017 23:35

Farman = non league keeper. Rhead = non league striker. Waterfall = non league centre half. 1 out of the 3 has seemingly been corrected, just need the other 2 now. Could add Arnold but as he's injured he can be excused. Really poor today, talk of play offs/promotion utterly delusional.

Bit of an overreaction in a game that we should of picked up a point against the big spenders/league favourites. It's a tough competitive league and we are more than competitive. Every game we have firmly been in the game and in a position to pick up points. Days like this happen, but I wouldn't start saying we are this and that after the game yesterday.

Jaggy Imp - 16/9/2017 16:45

Can't believe some of the match comments here. We were desperately poor today - first and second half. Very few players got anything near pass marks for me. Our build up play was ponderous and simply gave Mansfield time to get everyone behind the ball. Bostwick did have a bit of possession but did little with it and his instinct always seems to be go backwards or sideways. He really needs to step it up. Woodyard was also poor today but...we need to talk about Paul... Farman clearly at fault for the goal, slow and poor in distribution again (even though he did go for a few through-outs today). I'd be tempted to see what Vickers has to offer

Agree with this.
Extremely poor second half. We could of played for 900mins and not scored.

2 x 1-0 defeats in 8 games is not a reason to start throwing the toys out of the cot in dismay. Yes , we were pee poor, but Mansfield, who are favourites for promotion were no better and just got lucky today, as we did from a defensive error on Tuesday night.

3rd equal defensively, we go again Saturday with a clean slate, looking for our third consecutive away win. Think positively.

Bit of perspective, we lost a tight game 1-0 in front of 9500 for a home game in September after winning two on the trot on the road. There are obviously a few tactical issues with the team but I for one have every faith in DC/NC and players working hard to sort them out.

Its been a tough start but we sit tenth, County are second but three of their wins came against Crawley, Chesterfield and Port Vale two of which sacked their managers yesterday.

We got done by a very professional smash and grab away performance, we are still finding our feet at this level, I'm sure lessons will be learnt, stated target is top ten at Christmas with a push for play offs after Christmas and I see no reason so far to doubt this will be the case.

Cambridgeimp83 - 17/9/2017 10:34
There are obviously a few tactical issues with the team but I for one have every faith in DC/NC and players working hard to sort them out.

This

mansfield came for a point and got lucky nicking a 1-0 win , teams will come here and shut up shop , put 2 men on rheady ( who i think shouldnt start ) billy knott isnt a winger hes a number 10 , i think the cowleys are trying to hard to get rhead and knott in the same team but it wont work ,or if its 4231 thats being played then rhead is no number 10 would prefer whitehouse there , and if we go a goal down thats when the big man comes on last 10/15 mins , would like to see a 4 2 31
FARMAN
LONG RAGGS WATERFALL SAM
BOSSIE WOODY
ANDERSON WHITEHOUSE KNOTT
GREEN
whitehouse makes them runs in the box something we are missing , i dont know what he has to do to get a game , more mobile and more pacy than rhead yes rhead wins his headers but every team knows that what we play for with rhead on , lets get the ball on the deck and play get there defenders thinking and sitting deeper back let them worry who to mark instead of knowing who to mark

I wonder if the Cowleys are giving it a go with the old system for, say, ten games to see how it works before analysing that and then ringing the changes? They tend to take a fairly gradualist approach, I think.

Definitely agree we need Whitehouse in the team. Has a nack of nicking goals and may be the runner we need from mid-field.

m00rlandimp - 17/9/2017 11:37

...billy knott isnt a winger hes a number 10 , i think the cowleys are trying to hard to get rhead and knott in the same team but it wont work ,or if its 4231 thats being played then rhead is no number 10 would prefer whitehouse there...
FARMAN
LONG RAGGS WATERFALL SAM
BOSSIE WOODY
ANDERSON WHITEHOUSE KNOTT
GREEN

Haven't you said Knott isn't a winger and then suggested he plays there in your formation?

I wouldn't have Knott playing as a winger because he is wasted there IMO, I also wouldn't have Rhead starting at present because we are carrying him too much as things stand. I love the big guy but we look weaker with the system we currently use because Green gets far too isolated.

Based on yesterday, Anderson and Ginnelly start for me. Definitely need someone with Green, maybe give Palmer a start in a 442.
We are unbalanced with Knott wide, he just doesn't offer the same as Gino/Harry/Arnold. He is clearly a good player, but not sure he fits us. If we are sticking to 4231, I'd rather see Whitehouse running into the box than Knott outside it.