Match Thread: Lincoln City v Forest Green Rovers | Page 36 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Forest Green Rovers

Hi all, I haven't read through the thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned. I bought a pass for the game with the intention of watching the full match replay on Sunday night (was unable to watch live - this is what I do for Saturday home league games too). The report hasn't appeared yet and I'm wondering if it will - is there some different rule in place for the FA Cup that means it won't be available in this way? Basically I'm wondering if I've paid £10 for nothing. Thanks!

Well we're currently at our all time high of 3 weeks since we last f**ked around at the back and conceded a goal...

I am now firmly of the opinion that our dismal attempts at this last season were a piece of performance art designed by MA to get the players he really wanted to do it. :lol:

I bought a pass for the game with the intention of watching the full match replay on Sunday night (was unable to watch live - this is what I do for Saturday home league games too). The report hasn't appeared yet and I'm wondering if it will - is there some different rule in place for the FA Cup that means it won't be available in this way?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that is the case. Not even highlights have appeared so far and they're usually on by the following day.

I can't remember what happened last season, but the iFollow highlights available for last season don't include the FA Cup games.

Grimsby did a good job at it on Saturday again...
Maybe their fans will start to realise that pretty football ain't worth much if you're not winning games, especially at L2 level where you're relying on cloggers to knock it about. Give me winning football over pretty football every time. Luckily we seem to have both at the minute.

The mind boggles at the thought, good League 2 defender/stopper but playing out from the back, just not his game along with most lower division defenders. Montsma and Walsh are about as good as it gets.
What was noticeable on Saturday was how shaky FGR were, always trying to do it but not very well, frequently closed down by our front 3 and probably fortunate not to give away a truly soft goal.

We are (a) better at playing out from the back and (b) not as addicted to it as some would have it. One of Palmer's (and Ross's) strengths is an ability to throw or kick an accurate long pass. Also noticeable on Saturday was how frequently Palmer did it.

I now expect a proper clanger in the next couple of games!

What was noticeable on Saturday was how shaky FGR were, always trying to do it but not very well, frequently closed down by our front 3 and probably fortunate not to give away a truly soft goal.

We are (a) better at playing out from the back and (b) not as addicted to it as some would have it. One of Palmer's (and Ross's) strengths is an ability to throw or kick an accurate long pass. Also noticeable on Saturday was how frequently Palmer did it.

It is a *little* harder to do it when you have Johnson charging you down like Usain Bolt in the olympic final.

Palmer is very smart as well, he's happy to wait with ball at feet for the striker to force him to pick it up and then throw it wide, his distribution to the wide full backs pushed up on the touchline is pretty good and, as you say, he's not averse to just lamping it down the field if nothing is on...

I guess once you've shown you can be effective in playing out from the back teams are more likely to push up a bit to counter that and that gives you more options for the quick ball forward if you pick the right moment. As against when everyone knows exactly where the keeper is going to hoof it so the opposition just drop deep.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that is the case. Not even highlights have appeared so far and they're usually on by the following day.

I can't remember what happened last season, but the iFollow highlights available for last season don't include the FA Cup games.
Thanks for the response Merthyr. There's still nothing there so I'm giving it up as a bad job. Unlucky given that it was quite the game, but I'll be stoic and consider my £10 (or £8.33 or whatever it is) as a donation to the club.

I am now firmly of the opinion that our dismal attempts at this last season were a piece of performance art designed by MA to get the players he really wanted to do it. :lol:

Shackell and Bostwick doing it at Sunderland last season was bordeline offensive - I guess Appleton had decided how to play and it was for the long haul but that was the first time i was really like, bloody hell this play out the back dogma is silly now and if we actually wanted to win that football match we would not have been doing that. Both CBs were horrendous at it and Vickers somehow worse (I think it was Shackell's first game back because I remember his defending also being awful and being culpable in basically everything, and I was in the Sunderland end with friends basically baying at us to stop fucking about while MaPP stood there drinking water haha).

Think some of the games probably helped make a lot of decisions on who wouldn't be back this year, high earners or not.

Shackell and Bostwick doing it at Sunderland last season was bordeline offensive - I guess Appleton had decided how to play and it was for the long haul but that was the first time i was really like, bloody hell this play out the back dogma is silly now and if we actually wanted to win that football match we would not have been doing that. Both CBs were horrendous at it and Vickers somehow worse (I think it was Shackell's first game back because I remember his defending also being awful and being culpable in basically everything, and I was in the Sunderland end with friends basically baying at us to stop fucking about while MaPP stood there drinking water haha).

Think some of the games probably helped make a lot of decisions on who wouldn't be back this year, high earners or not.

A fair summary. I'm a lot less bothered about with the players we now have.

A fair summary. I'm a lot less bothered about with the players we now have.
My biggest concern, with it all at the moment, is the keeper firing out to the full back. Quite often its chest high, with the recipient pinned to the touchline and not far from being under pressure. Very minor, compared to some the horror shows of last season!