Match Thread: Lincoln City v Doncaster Rovers | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Doncaster Rovers

Don't know really what to say. I think it does reinforce that the Stacey West extension should not go ahead.

BNC was the only shining light although at times I became frustrated with Whittaker who would invariably cut inside rather than pass to BNC down the line etc. needless to say the attacks came to nothing.

Don't know what happens in training, but after watching the Portsmouth v Donny highlights on local tv down here I thought we could perhaps load the box with crosses a bit more and a more aerial threat.

Waiting for the post match where I can imagine we played well throughout the game.

Speechless until Fleetwood.

Still generally really annoyed about that and not sure where the problem exactly lies. I think Maguire has to bury that chance in the first half and can't really blame Mapp for the first half performance where we created enough to have the game and over and done with.

Second half is a different kettle of fish entirely. We huffed and puffed a bit but largely played aimless balls forward and patterns of play that resulted in crosses to nobody, with no one attacking the ball. The Sanders off for Bishop change made us worse if anything - Bishop had basically no impact on the game whatsoever and if anything made us a bit less solid. Whittaker and Cullen on the periphery again, Maguire not at the races. Whatever was said at half time didn't work at all and the subs didn't do much good - Hopper had a bit of an impact when he came on but not a telling one and the ball never seemed to sit right for Marquis.

It's not as if we seemed particularly affected by the unexpected break either - we were poor right from the start of the second half, I think.

Must be one of the most ridiculous defeats ever. A mixture of poor final balls and poor finishing (particularly Maguire first half).

Disappointing from Marquis and Cullen, Whittaker I thought played a bit better tonight, no doubt about Norton-Cuffy as man of the match.

The key word at the start of the game was Patience. But we seemed to have too much patience where we became too passive. After that we ran out of ideas. Really poor. 15 games to go and 45 points to play for…

what really pisses me off is we have an attacking free kick instead of putting the ball in the box it goes backwards it goes sideways. This is worse then playing out from the back I really don’t see the logic in it.

perhaps I am a football dinosaur but come on if they insist in playing it the modern way at least do it right.

Our completely shite home record is entirely Appleton's responsibility.
You mean he's been deliberately injuring players so we had to play our pizza squad for most of the games before xmas?

His Vulcan mind thingy made Maguire sky that chance BNC laid on a plate for him?

If we don’t score in the first half, we have no idea in the second half - really bizarre, is it fitness related? Are the players good enough? If we stay up we need a bit of a shake up in the summer.

Doncaster have become the classic bogey side, we hammmered them 0-1 at home last season (the one with 2 missed penalties and Balcombe's inspired 90 minutes?), at least they had a decent player in Richards that day?

Tonight they were the worst team at SB in all competitions this season but still nicked a win.

I see the 'win its the play offs, lose we're doomed' crowd are predictably out in force tonight.

We played ok, won most 2nd balls but poor oppostion rode their luck and some of our senior players failed to do their job.

We remain in the relegation fight and have to take our chances, but lets be realistic and not hysterical about this.

One big, big positive from tonight. Hopper back ans right on it. Him, or Marquis, or both?

I'd consider both tbh. Didn't fall for Marquis today but at least he was in the game. Cullen and Whittaker are still very much jury's out, couple of shots by both but they go such long spells without influencing the game... playing a sort of no. 10 off Marquis seems pointless when they barely play a pass. Cullen's stats today were 11 passes successful out of 20, whereas both Walsh and Poole were in the 80s out of 100. We just don't play through that number 10 position, game just passes that player by - so might as well have more of a physical presence, surely?

Last edited:
You mean he's been deliberately injuring players so we had to play our pizza squad for most of the games before xmas?

His Vulcan mind thingy made Maguire sky that chance BNC laid on a plate for him?

I know you're being facetious and it's not entirely Appleton's fault, but the poor performances at home extended to last season and we seem to really struggle to break teams down. First half I don't think was his fault today - we had plenty of chances to go ahead in the game - but I think the manager ought to take some responsibility for whatever the hell that second half was.

We've got all the shiny new attacking toys now but second half was largely hopeful crossing and half-hearted balls into their third.