Match Thread: Lincoln City v Derby County | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Derby County

Really pleased to see such a hard-working effort tonight, and that it was sustained over the full ninety. Intelligent use of the ball, conceding territory only where we knew it wouldn’t hurt us, so that we had space to move in and hurt them. Those players that have been suspect put in better shifts tonight. I get that DC were ‘poor’ but I think we had a big hand in that. Hard to find fault after that win.

Nobody has mentioned the absence of Sanders. Have I missed something - have to assume he is also injured but haven’t seen any mention. Really miss his dead ball delivery and I think he will play well with Diamond - I can see a Grant/Edun style relationship developing there.

Nobody has mentioned the absence of Sanders. Have I missed something - have to assume he is also injured but haven’t seen any mention. Really miss his dead ball delivery and I think he will play well with Diamond - I can see a Grant/Edun style relationship developing there.

More than likely injured.

Could not believe how poor Derby were in defence it looked like they had never touched or passed a ball at times first touch was terrible the keepers was even worse . The amount of bad passes helped our cause as well as dismantling theres

Wow. What a great performance!

I won’t repeat what others have already said, but one player stood out for me who I don’t think has been mentioned yet - Matty Virtue.

Kept things ticking over, loved a tackle and, importantly, he never stopped bloody talking to his players! A little bit in the mould of Conor McGrandles.

To think we did that without Walsh, Montsma, Sanders, Bishop (for basically an hour), Mandroiu and Hopper (might have a job on his hands to get back into the team if House can stay fit!) is very pleasing.

As for TJ - much, much better. That’s more like it!

Did anyone else feel the advertising boards were too bright again? I couldn’t make out the players on the Co-op side in the first half - they were silhouetted!! Better in the second half. It happened last year and I asked Liam Scully about it- he said it was on a Saturday setting where, of course, it would need to be brighter. Or, is it just that I got used to the light as the match went on?

Did anyone else feel the advertising boards were too bright again? I couldn’t make out the players on the Co-op side in the first half - they were silhouetted!! Better in the second half. It happened last year and I asked Liam Scully about it- he said it was on a Saturday setting where, of course, it would need to be brighter. Or, is it just that I got used to the light as the match went on?
I didn't but the guy next to me pointed it out too.

Yes, they were very bright in the first half.

They were very bright and I was worried the advert would change just as Diamond was taking the pen and put him off!

Could not believe how poor Derby were in defence it looked like they had never touched or passed a ball at times first touch was terrible the keepers was even worse . The amount of bad passes helped our cause as well as dismantling theres

Sorry, I don’t think Derby were or are a poor side at all …. it was more about us, getting in their faces from the off and maintaining it throughout the 90 mins, which is something Curtis Davies mentioned post match. He also mentioned the hostile atmosphere being no excuse either.

The credit goes to Kennedy for the game plan which was executed perfectly, the players and the Sinny Bank faithful. :clap: hopefully this isn’t a one-off.

Sorry, I don’t think Derby were or are a poor side at all …. it was more about us, getting in their faces from the off and maintaining it throughout the 90 mins, which is something Curtis Davies mentioned post match. He also mentioned the hostile atmosphere being no excuse either.

The credit goes to Kennedy for the game plan which was executed perfectly, the players and the Sinny Bank faithful. :clap: hopefully this isn’t a one-off.
Fair point we did give them no time but they made a lot of unforced errors to

MK's mentioned it two or three times, was due to miss two or three games so back any time by now I'd imagine.

I suppose we shouldn't be that surprised that a lincoln city team has beaten a much bigger club.
We've been doing consistently for a good few years now.
In recent memory
Sunderland more than once
Ipswich also a few times
Sheffield wednesday
Charlton athletic
And now Derby county.

We are after all now playing in the same league as these clubs, so it's not that big a deal that we do actually win the odd game against the giants of this league.

If we are to progress as a football club then these are the type of clubs we need to be able to stand up against and win.

My usual take on these type of fixtures is I'll take a draw now.
Not last night, I wouldn't have been happy with anything other than a win

We got what we deserved
3 points