Match Thread: Lincoln City v Crewe Alexandra | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Crewe Alexandra

So disappointed today, 2nd tightest defence in the league behind Coventry and we’ve conceded 7 goals in 2 games and against a struggling side in Crewe. What went wrong?
Staying positive though, we’d have taken this in a heatbeat 18 months ago.
Disappointment tempered by an enjoyable beer with Kettrin and Devon pre match and nice “nosebag” with Devon and Mrs Devon this evening :cheers:

Really good to meet up in the box and put faces to names...

Disappointed with the way we played and the result but that's football I suppose. As some mention though, we're not doing badly, we would happily have settled for this position some months since. Probably several twists and turns to go yet though....

Come on you Imps!!!

Taking a step back after thinking through today's game- there were a few things as I saw it today

We tried to play to feet much more today (Rowe, Frecklington etc should be comfortable with that) rather than one dimensional route one approach- it didn't work and reflected in our ability to create very few chances on goal (how many saves did their keeper have to make?)- much less route one but even less chances created than usual

First half was ok- not great, just ok and 1-1 half time was not a disaster

Our discipline was shocking- the amount of times we gave possession away by conceding silly, petty, little free kicks broke down any momentum we tried to create

Second half was a shocker with almost no endeavour to generate goal scoring opportunities- Rowe and Anderson were almost bystanders

Crewe played well to their strengths and pressed really high and fast (as we did pre Xmas) which partly gave the impression we were poor- sometimes the opposition is as good as we are poor.

Crowd were exceptional at 4-1 down and showed there is some spirit and desire to do better. Coventry away is going to be a really big ask to take anything from....we'll see

As last week, a brutal reminder of the pre-cowley past, and how spoiled we have been for 100 games. But that method, slowly pass backwardsbackwardsbackwards, pass sideways three or four times from around the final third, then long ball back to where we just were is tough to watch when it isn’t winning points. No wonder the wingers rarely get any space, and we rarely create clear chances.

And then there’s also that tipping point in the season when a team that’s mainly built around effort and *triers* begin to lose the desire to put in so many hard yards week after week. Maybe we did well to get a good points tally whilst raggett was still here, falsely raising our league position.

Does anyone remember that season where Carlisle were top of the first division?

westbank - 24/2/2018 22:36

do you think freck can play in 442 or would 433 suit him ?

We shouldn’t be changing tactics to accommodate one player, Frecklington included.

He’s not suited to midfield 2 with Woodyard. Whenever we play with those 2 I can’t help but feel we’re shoe horning Frecklington into the side for “who he is”.

We’ve not looked the same since the January window for me, I don’t think the Cowleys know their strongest 11 at the minute, very similar to the start of the season.

RAK1MP - 25/2/2018 07:56

We shouldn’t be changing tactics to accommodate one player, Frecklington included.

He’s not suited to midfield 2 with Woodyard. Whenever we play with those 2 I can’t help but feel we’re shoe horning Frecklington into the side for “who he is”.

We’ve not looked the same since the January window for me, I don’t think the Cowleys know their strongest 11 at the minute, very similar to the start of the season.

It's all too similar to earlier in the season when he was trying to accommodate Knott.

Haven't read this thread so apologies if already discussed but did Freck win anything at all without giving a freekick away yesterday? It was foul after foul.

Skip155 - 25/2/2018 09:41

Haven't read this thread so apologies if already discussed but did Freck win anything at all without giving a freekick away yesterday? It was foul after foul.

The whole team were fouling like a dog with the runs. Add to that numerous other unforced errors and no wonder we lost.

Impster - 25/2/2018 09:23

It's all too similar to earlier in the season when he was trying to accommodate Knott.

And don't forget Pett and arguably Rowe. That is not a high-energy, checking-back cover-the-defence kind of mid-field and that is what we rely on to generate possession and territory and ultimately chances.

As I said on another thread, we've stopped pressing but that's because we no longer have the players to do that.

Remember that team that beat Burnley? I bet they wouldn't have lost to Crewe yesterday.

Last years side is now pretty much gone. The newbies haven't taken possession of the spirit from that time. Perhaps the bubble has gently popped. Maybe that is the price for building a new side. As much as we have been told about our uunrealistic expectations, many of us still held the dream for another promotion. The Cowleys continue to learn. Eventually, this season will fade and perhaps a new squad assembled with a more realistic opportunity to win promotion next season.

Worst home defeat since NFU hammered us 4-0 in the trophy in 2014, don't think we had a shot at goal that day.
Heard there may have been a problem with the tickets again, some season tickets were saying people had already gone in when they hadn't,
Might explain the crowd being less than most of us expected dunno?

i agree we shouldnt , we should start with what has served us well time for change is pre season not mid season , and freck pett etc should be brought on for a formation switch only

I am sure it has been mentioned in an earlier post, but why was Eardley missing on Saturday. If he was injured how long is he expected to be out ?