Match Thread: Lincoln City v Cheltenham Town | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Cheltenham Town

An uninspiring performance that left me a bit flat when it shouldn't have. Its all about the long season though and not yesterdays game and our fantastic achievement, congratulations to the Cowleys, the players and everyone at the Club. One last win for the Title now please which they very much deserve.
UTI.
PS, why does the pitch need to be SO wet ?

Tranmere on Easter Monday will remedy any flatness. Should be a terrific match with Tranny going for automatics. We may or may not still be waiting for the title but celebrations will be in full swing hours before kick off.:party: Think the Eagle will be running out of beer?? The Bank will be bouncing. Can’t wait. :cup:

We walked out at the end after I completely forgot about MK Dons playing Stags last match, meaning only one of them can still catch us. Rudimentary error ?

I suspect that is where a lot of the confusion came from. It wouldn't surprise me if the Radio Lincs boys had forgotten that, for example.

Otherwise it wasn't difficult. All you need is the table at the start of play and awareness of ongoing scores and final results. Stags finished before us, so on here we knew we were up.

On the actual game itself...

First half fairly even although we created the chances. Second half they were better side first half hour and deserved the equaliser. We weren’t at our best. But must say Cheltenham are very organised, good shape off the ball and best side I’ve seen at restarts except ourselves. Reminded me of us a little, would say they are an Akinde and Andrade from a side who could really threaten next season. We then came to life after they scored. Gutted Rheads effort was saved, think the place would have gone mental if that went in!

O’Hara MOTM easily, was everywhere. Defence did generally quite well. Forward players didn’t seem quite at it, but with promotion secured hopefully they can enjoy the freedom that brings next 4 games.

An uninspiring performance that left me a bit flat when it shouldn't have. Its all about the long season though and not yesterdays game and our fantastic achievement, congratulations to the Cowleys, the players and everyone at the Club. One last win for the Title now please which they very much deserve.
UTI.
PS, why does the pitch need to be SO wet ?

Same,

Many had accepted promotion was a given some time ago and the lack of tension, relatively poor performance, lack of goalmouth incident and a very competent ref meant there wasn't much to get excited about.

Best bit was after the final whistle, but a third had gone by then.

I suspect that is where a lot of the confusion came from. It wouldn't surprise me if the Radio Lincs boys had forgotten that, for example.

Otherwise it wasn't difficult. All you need is the table at the start of play and awareness of ongoing scores and final results. Stags finished before us, so on here we knew we were up.

Was trying to rely on Flash Score, but the signal is crap in the stadium.

Tranmere on Easter Monday will remedy any flatness. Should be a terrific match with Tranny going for automatics. We may or may not still be waiting for the title but celebrations will be in full swing hours before kick off.:party: Think the Eagle will be running out of beer?? The Bank will be bouncing. Can’t wait. :cup:

Worth pointing out though that the fair and its curse will be on the Common that day....

Ah what a surreal experience. Showing people my phone in the Stacey West and explaining MK and Mansfield both couldn’t catch us due to playing each other. People looking at me as if I was mad then releasing. Please can we win the title in a nice simple way on Friday! Well this is Lincoln!

Ah what a surreal experience. Showing people my phone in the Stacey West and explaining MK and Mansfield both couldn’t catch us due to playing each other. People looking at me as if I was mad then releasing. Please can we win the title in a nice simple way on Friday! Well this is Lincoln!
I can't believe so many people didn't know this fact. Me, and most on here, have been talking about the permutations for months.

I was on my own yesterday, jumping up and down, hands in the air,knowing we'd secured it, whilst people filed out in an ordily manner, I started to question myself, I must have got it wrong, I'm making myself look a nutter here, players and crowd alike muted, totally surreal, and the maths really wasn't difficult. Have to say, they should have been straight on the tannoy at final whistle, too long a gap before asking people to sit tight. Such a shame, but the end results the same, superb season. But pleeeeeease, can we sort out this watering the pitch, why is it we seem to be the ones falling over and not the opposition?

I was on my own yesterday, jumping up and down, hands in the air,knowing we'd secured it, whilst people filed out in an ordily manner, I started to question myself, I must have got it wrong, I'm making myself look a nutter here, players and crowd alike muted, totally surreal, and the maths really wasn't difficult. Have to say, they should have been straight on the tannoy at final whistle, too long a gap before asking people to sit tight. Such a shame, but the end results the same, superb season. But pleeeeeease, can we sort out this watering the pitch, why is it we seem to be the ones falling over and not the opposition?
To be fair they may have been waiting for FT at Tranmere, which came after our game finished.

Mathematical confirmation of promotion deserves a quiet acknowledgment but a full blown celebration would be premature and inappropriate.
We have 4 very tough games ahead against teams who currently have a chance of either play offs, or automatic promotion in Tranmere’s case.

Our biggest threat is complacency, which I believe has cost us numerous points in recent home games. Our team is much, much better playing in a pressure situation. A ‘job done’ attitude could lead to poor results in the next few games, which might not stop us getting the title but would definitely tarnish the season, which we want to remember as a great one.

We must avoid doing what Doncaster did two years ago when they lost every match after securing promotion.

I’m sure we all want a genuine celebration after Colchester, not just to go through the motions.

The best way to secure that will be to treat every match to the end of the season as a cup final and to prove we are worthy champions.

Poor game, really. We didn't get going at all. Our players didn't seem to be wearing studs and had springs in their boots because passes were pinging everywhere.

That said, the wind really picked up in that second half and we were playing into it. Andrade clearly wasn't fully fit, Akinde was well off the pace, as was Anderson so 3 out of the 4 attacking players had poor games.

Complete anti-climax in the end. It was all a bit flat because, even though it didn't confirm anything, last week was the result that did it. Everyone seemed to be focused on us winning and that was it rather than realising a draw and other results would do. Would've been nice to do it off the back of a win but I'll take promotion however it comes!

Cheltenham a bit too tippy tappy and despite playing nice triangles and looking neat and tidy, goal aside (which was a poor pass from us), they never looked like scoring. Whenever they did get half a sniff to break the lines quickly, the opted for an extra pass or two, usually sideways or backwards, and the chance was gone. Another team who've come and played 5 at that back, which we've struggled to break down.

Definitely something for Duff to work with, though.

Just rewound this thread to full time and it perfectly sums up the confusion. I had no idea we were promoted until the whispers behind me started gathering momentum. I celebrated until 1am. I think today might be a sofa day.

Congratulations Imps one and all.
Was I the first to point it out here?