Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bury | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bury

Worried we are using our get out jail cards cards early.

Can tell players are getting used to each other. We have little spells where we play some great stuff, but spells where we just appear to be chasing shadows, not winning the ball abs getting no way near the 2nd ball.

For me Pett was man of the match by some distance. And I don’t think Freck played badly. But we don’t seem to have enough bite in the middle of the park, or win enough 2nd balls, not because their not performing but because those 2 aren’t that type of midfielder. Chapman doesn’t look to be either. Think we can only afford 1 of those 3 in a 2 man central midfield or 2 of them in a 3. Really think we need Bostwick in there or hope O’Connor can do that role once fully fit. Although got to be said Bostwick had his poorest 45 in a City shirt first half.

2nd to Pett I would say Smith did well and looked very composed which is reassuring with Vickers out. And McCartan made a real positive difference.

Based on the season so far I’d have Green (up front), Pett, Bostwick (in midfield), Eardley and Wharton in and work rest round that - feels like rest of the squad haven’t been poor but could all either up it or they have a point to prove.

Edit - would probably have McCartan in to.

Denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by an offence which was an attempt to play the ball and the referee awards a penalty kick is a bookable offence and Aimson had already been booked in the second minute, so he had to go.

Worried we are using our get out jail cards cards early.

Can tell players are getting used to each other. We have little spells where we play some great stuff, but spells where we just appear to be chasing shadows, not winning the ball abs getting no way near the 2nd ball.

For me Pett was man of the match by some distance. And I don’t think Freck played badly. But we don’t seem to have enough bite in the middle of the park, or win enough 2nd balls, not because their not performing but because those 2 aren’t that type of midfielder. Chapman doesn’t look to be either. Think we can only afford 1 of those 3 in a 2 man central midfield or 2 of them in a 3. Really think we need Bostwick in there or hope O’Connor can do that role once fully fit. Although got to be said Bostwick had his poorest 45 in a City shirt first half.

2nd to Pett I would say Smith did well and looked very composed which is reassuring with Vickers out. And McCartan made a real positive difference.

Based on the season so far I’d have Green (up front), Pett, Bostwick (in midfield), Eardley and Wharton in and work rest round that - feels like rest of the squad haven’t been poor but could all either up it or they have a point to prove.

Edit - would probably have McCartan in to.

Having seen 3 out of 4 league games..missed last night,your comments are a decent synopsis of the current state of play.

Just looking forward to the 2 new guys turning up and intensifying even more pressure on gaining a shirt on a Saturday(DC calling a winger plus midfield)

Last edited:
I'd like to go back.in a time machine 3 years and post on this board we'd be top of L2, 10 points out of 12 and still in the league cup, in front of a below average crowd of 8k, and fans saying it's s***!
True but we were very lucky to win last night indeed.
We can't keep playing so inconsistently.
My daughter was being a moody teenager last night, nothing impressed her last night lol!!!

Having seen 3 out of 4 league games..missed last night,your comments are a decent synopsis of the current state of play.

Just looking forward to the 2 new guys turning and intensifying even more pressure on gaining a shirt on a Saturday(DC calling a winger plus midfield)
Not sure the midfielder is an option financially after Vickers needed to be replaced. The Echo article seemed to suggest a left winger is priority for DC so Luque must be some way off first team ready.

True but we were very lucky to win last night indeed.
We can't keep playing so inconsistently.
My daughter was being a moody teenager last night, nothing impressed her last night lol!!!

I wasn't having a go at your daughter's opinion, i said the same thing several times during the game!

A little bemused by some of the comments on here today after last night.

Maybe I was at a different game!

First 15 minutes was fairly even with a couple of saves at each end- they began to play increasingly out wide and get into attacking positions- our 3 midfield line up couldn't cope with the width they were playing in.

DC made the changes for second half, went to 4-4-2. This significantly reduced their forays down the wings whilst we began to press higher, with increasing intensity. Last night was not "lucky"- it was hard work, perseverance, commitment and desire.

Akinde may not be as mobile yet as we want but he causes problems just by "being" there, makes defenders make mistakes, causes uncertainty and error.

Excellent win last night against a team who are more than competent at this level and will not be far off play offs by season end. Bossie and Eards made a couple of mistakes but I'll forgive them for throwing themselves on the line time and again last season.

We need to give this squad of players time to find their collective feet and settle down- getting on the players backs after 20 minutes is not conducive to a team ethos and makes us sound like Codheads.

Roll on Saturday for another game.

Midfield a definite area of concern...left side plus currently 2 wingers H and Andrade need competition as Luque seems absent.
After 10 or more games we will know the true contenders for places and those not up to the mark will be heading off on loan and balancing the budget...reality check by December/.January.

I wasn't having a go at your daughter's opinion, i said the same thing several times during the game!
I know mate, I think we need to sort the midfield out as that's to be where all our problems seem to be just now. Get this area right and I reckon it will all fall into place.
We have to be careful with our language being in the kids bit lol!

DC made the changes for second half, went to 4-4-2. This significantly reduced their forays down the wings whilst we began to press higher, with increasing intensity. Last night was not "lucky"- it was hard work, perseverance, commitment and desire.

I don’t think anyone’s doubting that the changes made us look better, but you also have to remember that the changes came at a time when Bury were happy to sit on their 1-0 lead and invite pressure on themselves. Even with 10 men, after they went behind, they looked dangerous going forward. Certainly a lot of hard work, but also an element of luck last night.

I don’t think anyone’s doubting that the changes made us look better, but you also have to remember that the changes came at a time when Bury were happy to sit on their 1-0 lead and invite pressure on themselves. Even with 10 men, after they went behind, they looked dangerous going forward. Certainly a lot of hard work, but also an element of luck last night.

I think we see the same thing but just at different angles- lucky is an adjective used a lot in football but I have a strong belief that luck is created more than often than not and not an abstract event.

The amount of goals Man Utd scored in "Fergie" time were not luck or fortuitous but a result of leadership, direction, application and planning. I believe LCFC have the same approach- luck doesn't happen, we create the luck through design not default.

2018-08-21-lincoln-bury.jpg

Not sure if this is of any interest to anyone.

Surprising to see our two subs among the top 3 likeliest to score.

Maybe I was at a different game!

First 15 minutes was fairly even with a couple of saves at each end- they began to play increasingly out wide and get into attacking positions- our 3 midfield line up couldn't cope with the width they were playing in.

Akinde may not be as mobile yet as we want but he causes problems just by "being" there, makes defenders make mistakes, causes uncertainty and error.

Excellent win last night against a team who are more than competent at this level and will not be far off play offs by season end. Bossie and Eards made a couple of mistakes but I'll forgive them for throwing themselves on the line time and again last season.

We need to give this squad of players time to find their collective feet and settle down- getting on the players backs after 20 minutes is not conducive to a team ethos and makes us sound like Codheads.

Roll on Saturday for another game.

I don't think people are saying we got lucky based on the 90 minutes. Yes our manager changed things and it "earned" us the points.

The lucky aspect is more that we were lucky to only be 1 behind because if they had more bite up front they could have been the proverbial "out of sight" before 70 minutes.

Last edited:
They do.

Data is taken from OPTA I believe which explains why McCartan has been given a 0.3 XG.

Not sure how anyone would expect a player to score only 30% of the time for Frecklington's shot.
Think they've mixed McCartan and Frecklington up, after all a lot places had McCartan and not Frecklington getting the winner.
It's those awful numbers on the shirts, you cant read them!