Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bolton Wanderers | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bolton Wanderers

Well, I'm still catching up, although got home late yesterday afternoon from my overnight stay for my first home game of the season. Probably not much to add to the previous comments, but a few thoughts.

First, it was good to see the ex-players in the Fanzone pre-match - Warren Ward, Dean West and - especially John Kennedy, who I was glad to hear speak well not only of Graham Taylor but also Ron Gray.

As for the match, I thought we did well in the first half and were deserved leaders at half time although with only a few chances to score in addition to the goal, including Matty Virtue's rather wild shot. Bolton seemed rather negative in the first half and even a bit sloppy, with only one decent shot which was further wide than it looked, but after the break they tore into us, and the referee, who had seemed not fall for their antics early on began to be increasingly conned by them.

Viewed from the South Park end I didn't have a great view of the worst of the incidents, and didn't see at the time what Walsh had done to receive the second yellow card, but watching the iFollow highlights it seemed inexplicable that he should be the only one booked in the earlier incident.

After that, having succeeded in what may have been their intention in getting us reduced to ten men, Bolton seemed to ease off a bit, perhaps thinking they would probably be able to make their extra man count just playing properly. But we defended valiantly and I think everyone appreciated that hanging on for the point was a good result.

I thought Sorensen had a good first half, and the more I see Matty Virtue in person the more I think what a good player he is. Eyoma did well. As for Mandroiu, apart from his free kick to play House in for well-taken goal I thought a lot he tried didn't quite come off, and he's maybe not yet back up to speed. I thought Diamond was nothing special in this game.

It was certainly noticeable how I think we went 100% for long throws on both sides. John Beck would have approved! We'll have to see whether this will be a permanent thing or whether it was just for this match.

I know you’re not Lancastrian Hull but with respect you need to do your homework. Outside of the big Manchester clubs and including Liverpool and Everton, Wanderers have generally bigger gates both home and away than any of the others. This season the average attendances are:
Wanderers. 18765
Blackpool. 12842
Blackburn. 14302
Preston. 16007
Wigan. 11924
Bear in mind that they are all currently Championship clubs and should benefit from bigger away followings, including 5 x local derbies, Rovers and Preston are also pushing for promotion. Only Burnley at 19277 average are higher than Wanderers and they’re top and have just come down from the PL. Look, it’s irrelevant anyway but in L1 only Wednesday, Ipswich and Derby currently have bigger averages than Bolton. We may not be a “Big” club nationally but in Lancashire we’re definitely No1 and always have been. 😉
Wigan are a glorified non league outfit (and equally vile cheats as Bolton for what it's worth), Blackpool have won the FA Cup, something which Bolton have done. With respect, Burnley, Blackburn and Preston have all been champions of the top tier of English football unlike Bolton. With all those years in the top flight, perhaps you would have expected to emulate your peers at the very least.

I have been living in Salford and Timperley for the past 7 years so strictly speaking I am from the same area as Bolton, i.e. Greater Manchester. Manchester is a big city and as such you would expect a mid sized suburb of the place to get a few thousand more fans than some small mill towns and a seaside resort.

Cards on the table, it is absolutely nothing personal against you as you conduct yourself well and make your points/defend your club in a dignified, cogent manner. However I cannot stand the entity that is Bolton Wanderers; the entitled, loathsome way the club has conducted itself (summarised well by Clanford) and the kid gloves it was treated with by the EFL - who I also hold in contempt. Completely biased against Bolton, I'm unapologetically so - with good reason, undoubtedly so.

Last edited:
Fair play Hull, I totally respect your view even if I don’t agree with. As you rightly say we never won the First Division title but finished second a couple of times. We actually won the FA cup four times and have more recently appeared in the semis twice as well as the league cup final twice in 95 and 2004. We’ve played in Europe twice getting to the quarter finals which I don’t recall any of the other “Lancashire” clubs you name doing. Blackburn won the PL only once when they were bankrolled by Jack Walker with Kenny Dalglish manager but that was well before the really big money of today. In fact when you talk about big clubs you’d presumably class the likes of Newcastle who last won the old 1st division title in the 1920’s!! Anyway it’s a pointless exercise arguing it and I’m much more interested in today and yesterday when you got a really good point against Ipswich so really well done on that. 😉