Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bolton Wanderers | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bolton Wanderers

Really showed how much we miss Rogers and Johnson tonight. We only have Scully who looks capable of scoring, and Scully like last season will miss five for every one he puts away.

Early days of course, with a couple of players still to come in, players to get fit, and MA to decide on what his best 11 will be. I just hope we don't end up with a squad of 20 all with equal ability, and can quickly settle on a clear first choice eleven.

Really showed how much we miss Rogers and Johnson tonight. We only have Scully who looks capable of scoring, and Scully like last season will miss five for every one he puts away.

Early days of course, with a couple of players still to come in, players to get fit, and MA to decide on what his best 11 will be. I just hope we don't end up with a squad of 20 all with equal ability, and can quickly settle on a clear first choice eleven.
A core squad of 20 might get through the season, a clear first 11 leaves them blowing out of their arses come January. So long as that 20 understand their roles, which might involve different positions, thats the path to a stronger finish.

I thought we played well, barring the one aberration. Bridcutt and Poole were head and shoulders above the rest, Adelakun doing well, given his lack of minutes. Taiyo played well first half; Melbourne did just fine.

We dropped too deep, second half, against a very competent Wanderers and we, generally, defended well.

Overall, we played much better than on Saturday and a draw would have been a fair result.

We put a few decent crosses in, which no one attacked, a point well made by MApp post-match.

Four points from three games is a good return, given our pre-season.

Having seen all 90 minutes a draw would probably have been a fair result,
But generally speaking I thought it was a pretty good match for L1, a far cry from the kick and rush of yesteryear.
I think we’re not far off, and with Maguire & Bishop plus ano to add some creativity & defensive reinforcements already in the building I’m quietly optimistic,

Early days and we’re clearly a work in progress……but that was a comically bad goal to concede. Brilliant to have a proper crowd with a proper away following and the atmosphere it helped create.

Yep, the incisive running, and ball carry from midfield was what we lacked tonight. With Johnson we would have won that game.
Early days, I'm sure we will improve in the coming weeks.

Can see Johnson, grant and Rogers are a huge whole in this years team. Don’t get the idea of a big target man when the ball doesn’t get crossed into the box or hoofed forward for flick one etc. First half needed to take one of those chances when we were on top. 2nd half they were the better team and sadly deserved their win.

Had time to reflect, played much better first half than at any time on Saturday, Edun and Bridcutt were brilliant. Without stating the obvious, we need a striker and until this is sorted we will see more games like last night which we deserved to get something out of and end up with nothing. Their keeper had little to do despite all our good speedy build up play and the chances we had wrong decisions were made. We did not really test him. The first goal was always going to win it in an exciting game , one mistake at the back was one too many.
Not sure about Sorenson, looks good going forward but a bit lightweight, tired like most of the others second half. Lots of decent displays, but several still off the pace, not surprising , Poole did well over lapping , Jackson very dependable, but Hopper will not get you 15 goals a season but works very hard for the side. McGrandles not reaching last seasons form yet, seemed a yard short of pace.
Two dodgy away games now where I hope the striker issue does not come back to bite us again.
League 1 what we have seen so far, could be much more competitive this year with no real stand out side, just need to hang in there until fitness levels improve and the squad gets together, which it will.
We have potentially a very good side / squad , but the leaders may start getting away where we need to be ! A great night at SB with fantastic atmosphere.
UTI

Last edited:
A good game of football played by two well organised sides. Our defensive error unfortunately cost us the three points, hopefully we have learned a lesson from it. Much better having a decent number of away fans, they did their team proud in the second half. Nothing like winning away in a close game like that. Again we relied on Bridcutt to orchestrate play, the defence was much more organised than on Saturday but upfront we failed to properly test their keeper. Too many scuffed and wayward shots and a reluctance to really get stuck in in their penalty area.

Agree with a few on here: L1 is looking like it will be a tough division this year. I can't see us spending long periods at the top like we did last season.

Agree with a few on here: L1 is looking like it will be a tough division this year. I can't see us spending long periods at the top like we did last season.

but look where that got us. Better to emulate Blackpool then to fizzle out and burn up!

Overall a good game and good performance without being brilliant. 10 seconds of Keystone Kops defending cost us he game but we do need a 'right place, right time' striker. Hopper works his socks off in defence as well as going forward but he just seems to be absent when you need a CF to make the final flourish and score

More positives than negatives and as others have said, Bridcutt is top drawer

It is a fun old game football, on Saturday we didn't play particularly well and took all the points then last night we played very well at times in an entertaining game and came away empty handed. Encouraging to see Dan Nlundulu get a few minutes and once we have a fully fit squad we will be ok.

We played well without finding the opportunity we needed, then gave away a poor goal. Fine margins.

But consider how good this side will be when Adelakun, Bishop, Eyoma, Maguire, Nlundulu and Walsh are fit, plus the striker we keep hearing about. That's half a team. Lots to be positive about.

We played well without finding the opportunity we needed, then gave away a poor goal. Fine margins.

But consider how good this side will be when Adelakun, Bishop, Eyoma, Maguire, Nlundulu and Walsh are fit, plus the striker we keep hearing about. That's half a team. Lots to be positive about.

Yes absolutely. I hope and believe that this season will be one of improvement relative to our peers as each month progresses. I think that's actually the model MAPP suggests his sides tend to follow.

Was getting fed up of being told we were playing the one and only Wanderers. Pretty sure we're playing another one on Saturday. Neither were even the first Wanderers either.
Wanderers? Jog on.