Match Thread: Gillingham v Lincoln City | Page 33 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Gillingham v Lincoln City

Professional performance. Never wilted from the aerial bombardment and we've clearly learnt a lot from playing the Cobblers. They never gave us a minute, but we took our chances very well indeed.

Definitely a pen for me. Tugged his arm and tapped his ankles. Excellent comeback from Jorge after recent setbacks.

Rogers is going places and feel privileged to watch him in a Lincoln shirt. Such poise for a young lad.

So best defensive performance from the imps this season? Must be close.

Jackson and Walsh were phenomenal. Stopped pretty much everything in the 18 yard box when needed. Palmer controls the box so well, must be a joy for the defenders. Gillingham threw alot at us, and they may be thinking how nothing fell for them, but as we saw at Doncaster that sometimes happens. That said, Gillingham didn't create many good chances and I don't remember having to make a save more than a yard to the side of him. Gillingham have a few good players, shattery, macdonald and dempsey stood out.

We were dangerous going forward when we managed to get the ball on the deck. Can't help but think that for a lot of the game we were pulled into Gillingham's game. Rodgers and Johnson are scary when they go forward and such a joy to watch. Nice to see lincoln be clinical after last weekend.

A thoroughly deserved 3 points.

An excellent result.

I felt we needed to hold our 1-0 lead into half time, and as the second half went on we grew more and more in control of midfield.

At first sight it looked like an outrageous dive from Johnson for the penalty but it was then clear he was pulled back if not tripped as well.

Hopper looked offside, but without seeing it from the same angle as the one from Grant which was wrongly disallowed it's difficult to tell for sure.

Not for the first time this season, impossible to choose a man of the match. I don't think McGrandles put a foot wrong all match on top of scoring the vital first goal.

As for the back four - who needs Montsma anyway? (But I'm guessing he might be back in on Tuesday night). I thought giving Eyoma a rest was the likely reason for bringing Poole on. Eyoma didn't seem to be getting forward as much as usual tonight which I guess was part of the game plan - also the reason Bridcutt was almost totally defensive.

Goal poacher Hopper!

I don't think I was the only one on here thinking Rogers would be the first to be substituted, but thankfully he wasn't and obviously had a major effect on the game tonight.

But against those sort of tactics from Gillingham we were outstanding in defence and in goal. The only bit of luck perhaps was that almost all of their shots at goal were practically straight at Palmer.

Taking into consideration we also played on a mud bath Tuesday night, we really had control and clinical when mattered.

You know what you get with an Evans side, big and robust. They sit about right in the table based on tonight’s display.

Hopefully the extra day of rest for us now will also benefit us on Tuesday.

MA on Rad. Lincs - Eyoma was sick this morning and didn't keep anything down until much later. Gave him the call on whether he wanted to play (competition for his berth now) and MA stood him down when it became apparent he was struggling.

Good attitude from the lad and didn't let the side down in that first half even though clearly under the weather.

The biggest lesson I have learned tonight is that Lee Hendrie is yet another addition to the crap pundits society.

My main two complaints about him were that he kept saying we were fortunate with our first goal in that the ball happened to fall for McGrandles to score. There was nothing fortunate about McGrandles having got into the right place to score!

And then saying their man could have been sent off for that first half challenge when it was clearly no more than a yellow card offence..

My main two complaints about him were that he kept saying we were fortunate with our first goal in that the ball happened to fall for McGrandles to score. There was nothing fortunate about McGrandles having got into the right place to score!

And then saying their man could have been sent off for that first half challenge when it was clearly no more than a yellow card offence..

I actually think the ball was laid off for McGrandles, although I'm not sure by whom.

Was that match 4 out of 'the 5'? If so, 9 points, should have really been 12 but a good return thus far from a difficult set of fixtures.

Keep ticking over.

The biggest lesson I have learned tonight is that Lee Hendrie is yet another addition to the crap pundits society. I have never had the privilege of hearing him before although to be fair having not switched on until 6 minutes in I initially thought it was Stan Collymore.
Add to the charge sheet, had to laugh when he commented that Rogers was having more of an influence in the second half after a quiet first. He was at the heart of the intricate move for the first goal!

Hortin and Thommo can sleep easy tonight.