Match Thread - Forrest Away FA Cup | Page 4 | Vital Football

Match Thread - Forrest Away FA Cup

Neil Critchley was proud of the nature of his side's performance in the FA Cup Third Round draw with Nottingham Forest.
The Seasiders took a two goal lead in the tie, but were eventually pegged back by their Premier League opponents. But earning a replay at Bloomfield Road gives Pool the chance to be in the hat for the next round and progress further in a competition with a real history associated to the football club.
"I thought it was a really exciting cup tie," Critchley said.
"That was our aim before the game to make it as difficult as possible and you carry that hope that you can, but you know it will be extremely difficult and it was. We were playing against a top quality team at full strength and we made it exciting.
"We had to defend resolutely in the second half and you know that moments are going to have to go your way in the game and they did. We nearly caused an upset, not quite, but we've got a fantastic replay to look forward to now.
"We knew the standard of the Premier League players is now on a completely different level, you look at some of the results over the weekend of Premier League teams comfortably beating Championship teams - it's getting harder to cause a cup upset. We came with a plan, we wanted to frustrate them and then counter, I thought our two goals were really well taken goals, if we had got to half time at 2-0, you never know.
"It was a great atmosphere, a great cup tie and what a fantastic football club. They provide you different problems and ask different questions to how teams normally do in games we play, you have to concentrate and they test you physically and I thought our lads stood up to that really well."
While every player put their all into going toe-to-toe with their top flight opponents, Jordan Gabriel's display stood out in particular to his Head Coach. Coming up against his former Club, Gabriel's opening goal set Pool on the right path, even more impressive considering his illness over the winter period.
"Jordan Gabriel has lost a lot of weight over Christmas because he's been really ill," Critchley added.
"So for him to play the full game is great, I thought he was tiring near the end a little bit as a lot of the players were which was understandable. And then he pops up inside the penalty box, I can assure you we didn't work on that at all, but it was a great goal and a great way to start.
"Before the game we knew him on that side with his pace and power and coming back to his old Club, football has a funny way of throwing up these stories. I didn't pick him to get a goal, but he defended well against a top player in Callum Hudson-Odoi and then against Nicolas Dominguez when they were swapping sides.
"He was great in one vs one situations and considering he's been ill and out, for him to last the whole game he was terrific."
Blackpool had to defend deep at times to keep themselves in the game, but were able to manage proceedings well in the second half to earn a replay back on the Fylde Coast. Those attributes in the performance pleased Critchley and believes they will be a real source of confidence for his squad.
"I said at half time it was going to be a long 45 minutes," said Critchley.
"We had to be brave, keep trying and trying to pass the ball in the moments we got the ball. If you don't, you're sitting and suffering and you're hanging on in there, leaning against the ropes and you're getting pummeled.
"You're going to need moments, you're going to need your goalkeeper to make a great save which he did and they hit one past the post. But we defended corners well and it took an outstanding strike to get them a replay.
"We had to make changes because it's a busy schedule, we've got another game on Wednesday night. Ideally no one wants a replay, I'm sure Nottingham Forest don't but we're always competitive and when it's 2-2 at Forest we want to get the draw or the win and create a great memory for the future.
"It doesn't last long and you don't get chances to make memories too often, so who knows what can happen, there is something magical about this competition and why can't we create a memory and progress further."

Really enjoyed that. Caught the ferry from Fuetreventura and watched it in Lanzarote at Popeyes, Playa blanca. The only Pool fan amid a spinney of trees. Well dine lads.i felt proud.
I was in Playa Blanca recently right at the other end of the resort near the Marina Rubicon. Couldn't get the game v Fleetwood or Bromley. 12 month prior I was in Corralejo, plenty showing games there. The last time we played Forest away I was in The Swan in Tenerife, a Blackpool supporters bar. As you can tell I love the Canaries!

Enjoy mate. 🍻

Pleased with the result and getting a replay. Some good performances in there which bodes well for the rest of the season.

But where was that performance at Cambridge, Burton & Port Vale?

That’s the frustration!

The problem is when the expectation isn’t on us (same with Portsmouth away) and the home teams attack us we seem to do okay, it’s when we play these other teams away from home who know to sit back and let us piss about with it at the back (ala the 3 games you mentioned) and we have no plan B.

I’ve given criticism to both Norburn & Morgan lately but thought both played really well today especially Morgan. Good to have Gabriel back who took the goal well. Well done on the wins Dave fantastic betting!!!

Feared the worst when I saw their team, that was a strong line up from them.
First 20mins game was played in midfield bar 1 half chance which Wood blazed over.
Thought we played some nice balls forward and Morgan had a very tidy first half. Pleased for Gabriel, not just bet wise for me, but it's been a very stop start 3yrs with us.
Good movement for the 2nd. Rhodes is a much more all round player than I ever realised. Great flick on. How I wish he was 5yrs younger.
Their goal before half time was a changer. Couple of players not picking up.movement off the ball.
CJ is so frustrating in that respect but he isn't alone in that.
Expected and got the inevitable onslaught 2nd half. Great shot for their equaliser.
The ref was very tolerant towards their players' tackles not so much ours. Thought their sub LB was a lucky lad.
That said Connolly could have seen a straight red for 2 kick outs.
VAR was a big let down, in that we never needed it😁
Joseph, that chance in injury time🙈 swing a boot at it. Why pass...
He's young, he'll learn.
Confident more than ever Rhodes will be ours.
On to.the replay. Deservedly so.