Match Thread: Doncaster Rovers v Lincoln City | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Doncaster Rovers v Lincoln City

Poor display but better to get it out of the system tonight rather than Saturday. Lots of round pegs tried in square holes and none really came off. Never mind
I’m sure lessons have been learned. It was frustrating that the turning point was our missed penalty, although to be honest we could have been well behind at half time if it hadn’t been for Bossie. When he went off we had little in defence. At least we have rested numerous first choice players so will be stronger for Saturday, and the new youngsters will have learned much tonight that will help them get on method in coming weeks.

There are loads of EFL trophy games tonight so it is an allocated date for matches to be played. That is fixed by the EFL though they have made allowances for some u23's who played last month
To lazy to look - what happens in Bury's group? I see Bolton played tonight.

The interview with Rob Makepeace was strange, I'm not sure what Rob could have asked differently tonight, his questions re injuries and other jobs were fine and should have been expected. I get Danny was annoyed at the match etc but his answers were not as professional and considered as we are used to, to me it sounded like he was determined to force the interview to end as quickly as possible.

To lazy to look - what happens in Bury's group? I see Bolton played tonight.
Bolton lost on pens to Bradford.
Salford best Villa U21 in the group previously containing Bury. Tranmere the third side - two through one eliminated here.

The interview with Rob Makepeace was strange, I'm not sure what Rob could have asked differently tonight, his questions re injuries and other jobs were fine and should have been expected. I get Danny was annoyed at the match etc but his answers were not as professional and considered as we are used to, to me it sounded like he was determined to force the interview to end as quickly as possible.

I agree, for once Makepeace asked the right questions and glad he laboured the point/s regarding all the speculation. He had to ask them and it was a tad frustrating that he shirked away from them before the match - what is more important to fans, an all-but meaningless Trophy game or the future of our hugely successful management team? The injury question sparked a surprisingly annoyed response from Danny, but surely he must recognise that the questions are being asked on behalf of the listeners and are not just for the benefit of the interviewer?

Maybe Danny is angry at overseeing a fourth loss in five games? Maybe all the speculation is irritating him, but that was a good little insight into how he may react if and when he is put under pressure and things are not going his way. A little petulant.

Well .... i may have mentioned his penalty taking style once or twice...

The thing is with the penalty, the keeper moved well before he struck the ball and I was sure Akinde would just stick it in the other corner, it seemed too easy. Was shocked when he rolled it straight at him. Smash it!!

The thing is with the penalty, the keeper moved well before he struck the ball and I was sure Akinde would just stick it in the other corner, it seemed too easy. Was shocked when he rolled it straight at him. Smash it!!

I've always said, JA's penalty technique is best viewed between the fingers. When it works - 90% of the time + is his career record? - it looks cool. When he misses, it will look truly awful. And yes, it was screaming for the pull to the other side, wide or against the post would at least look better.

As per tonight, QED, it looked awful. Credit to the keeper for blinking last. But JA's penalty success record speaks for itself and it's better than Rheady's for example. If, however, he's been rumbled lets hope the next miss is in an EFL Trophy game and not a league match.

I've always said, JA's penalty technique is best viewed between the fingers. When it works - 90% of the time + is his career record? - it looks cool. When he misses, it will look truly awful. And yes, it was screaming for the pull to the other side, wide or against the post would at least look better.

As per tonight, QED, it looked awful. Credit to the keeper for blinking last. But JA's penalty success record speaks for itself and it's better than Rheady's for example. If, however, he's been rumbled lets hope the next miss is in an EFL Trophy game and not a league match.

I don’t think he was rumbled at all. The keeper dived early but Akinde was not smart enough - on this occasion - to stick it in the other corner. Pretty much summed up the whole evening.

I haven't seen DC's post-match interview so I can't judge his expression, etc. having read people's comments though I wonder if DC's whole attitude was less to do with the speculation about other jobs and more about him being really peed off with the combination of football things. He wanted to take this competition seriously but that rug has been pulled from under his feet by Donny playing almost their first team, as I understand it, plus the whole fixture shenanigans and schedule for us and Donny. Not to mention losing - what is it now - 4 of the last 5? He definitely won't be happy with that and has a lot of work to do to re-energise himself and the squad for the upcoming games. And of course there's the ongoing speculation about other clubs - lets not get too worked up about it or he may actually start considering his future (don't think he will for one minute - why would he under all the circumstances).

Just watched the game on i-Follow. Have to say I'm not that disappointed. Doncaster had a well-rested full-strength team. Lincoln had so many new players, players playing out of position, etc. I mean, Anderson at RB, Toffolo at CB, Chapman playing three different positions, Bolger the only recognised regular defender in the second half. It was always going to be difficult. Just write this one off to experience. On to Wycombe on Saturday with our full strength team. Melbourne quite promising considering all the 'unpredictability' of the changes around him. Smith made two or three excellent saves. Have to say I've been very impressed with Akinde the last two or three games. He's actually playing as a strong target man, holding off defenders better and laying off two or three good balls. Good goal as well. Shame about the penalty. Maybe Walker's arrival has given him a kick up the backside. Andrade has also upped his defensive game. Come to the conclusion though that Payne shouldn't be anywhere near Lincoln's penalty area as he gets caught in possession too often trying to play his way out of trouble. Stick to the attacking stuff Jack.

Last edited:
I'm getting the drift that DC is more pissed off about Doncaster having had some time off due to the EFL'S inability to get to grips with the Bury and Bolton issues and they have coincided with us having to play there afterwards.

I think that’s right. Not only twice against Donny but if I remember correctly MK started the season a week after everyone else, just before we played them, for the same reason. Also he wasn’t happy with the timing of the ManU U21 game when we had no control over the date ( though obviously that altered because of the Everton match). I felt his warranted frustrations

He has 18 20 players he knows are his best ones and doesn't want to overplay them too early and if two of his finishers for league game have got injured in a cup game he didn’t really want to have he's not going to be happy is he?

Danny's original intention was to take the EFL Trophy seriously again this season, but that changed due to the congested fixture list and inequitable postponements elsewhere.

Last night was all about getting the game out of the way, nothing at all suggests that Danny believed it was worth playing his best team to try to win the game. He knew Doncaster would field their first team due to their ten days off, and he knew he would be unable to field eleven players capable of giving them a proper game within the context of the schedule. He could have done so, but still lost. Therefore he selected a weakened side with planned substitutions and a number playing out of position. His comment about the supporters was very revealing in terms of indicating his approach - he said the same thing at Blackburn last year.

Ironically, he was probably further annoyed that he had to field a stronger team than he would have ideally: had Adebayo-Smith, Bradley and Hesketh not been injured, I am sure they would all have played in addition to Lewis, away with Wales.

Danny's original intention was to take the EFL Trophy seriously again this season, but that changed due to the congested fixture list and inequitable postponements elsewhere.

Last night was all about getting the game out of the way, nothing at all suggests that Danny believed it was worth playing his best team to try to win the game. He knew Doncaster would field their first team due to their ten days off, and he knew he would be unable to field eleven players capable of giving them a proper game within the context of the schedule. He could have done so, but still lost. Therefore he selected a weakened side with planned substitutions and a number playing out of position. His comment about the supporters was very revealing in terms of indicating his approach - he said the same thing at Blackburn last year.

Ironically, he was probably further annoyed that he had to field a stronger team than he would have ideally: had Adebayo-Smith, Bradley and Hesketh not been injured, I am sure they would all have played in addition to Lewis, away with Wales.

I think you're probably right in that assessment.

I think that’s right. Not only twice against Donny but if I remember correctly MK started the season a week after everyone else, just before we played them, for the same reason. Also he wasn’t happy with the timing of the ManU U21 game when we had no control over the date ( though obviously that altered because of the Everton match). I felt his warranted frustrations
That's right - three of our nine games have seen us at a disadvantage due to Bury/Bolton postponements. We lost all three.

You could also say the Everton game was similar in terms of the respective schedules - we had already played six games in twenty-two days at that point, while Everton had played just three. That's twice a week compared with once a week.

A level playing field?