Match Thread: Carlisle United v Lincoln City | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Carlisle United v Lincoln City

It's been a while since we had someone up front who can finish like Joe Taylor...

Agreed, but he is still fairly raw isn't he?

The chance against Orient from the quick free kick (akin to the Cowley one which Matt Green always scored from) that shot was utterly wayward.

Will be some player in a couple of years, top class mentality.

I know the defence has been pivotal in our success so far this season.
We have scored more and shared the goals around a bit since we started our great run but for me the big difference is Taylor.
14 games and 9 goals speaks for itself. Yes he misses some but all top strikers do because they have the knack of getting into goalscoring positions.
He has also allowed us to change our formation to a 2 upfront instead of a one ploughing a thankless furrow.
A strong defence stops you losing matches but a goalscorer helps you win them.

Agreed, but he is still fairly raw isn't he?

The chance against Orient from the quick free kick (akin to the Cowley one which Matt Green always scored from) that shot was utterly wayward.

Will be some player in a couple of years, top class mentality.

He would be an instant starter in almost any League 1 team I would suggest, that's a pretty high level of ability already I would think?

He would be an instant starter in almost any League 1 team I would suggest, that's a pretty high level of ability already I would think?

Given he scored a penalty in the Championship play off final shoot out to sent Luton to the Premier League, I would say he is aiming for much higher than League One.

That was what I was suggesting in a few years time.

Wasn't the rumour that we beat a significant number of L1 clubs to get Taylor in January?

The very best strikers miss chances - Haaland missed an absolute sitter a couple of weeks ago. What makes a good striker is the ability to get into scoring positions and occasionally put them away. On that metric, Taylor is already a good striker.

Since the Derby and Posh games, I don't think Taylor's missed many chances? A bit of polishing up to do when he receives the ball in tighter areas to then get a shot away where it tends to get stuck under his feet (very early in the second half against Bristol Rovers being the most recent example).

Blimey, a football reporter who can read a game and write really well. Long time since we had anything like that at the Echo or whatever it is called now. Frankly I've stopped looking, it's impossible to get past all those aggressive adverts.

That's top quality football journalism which few national press writers can match, Maurice Burton standard.
We shouldn't forget that MB did his report during the match and it would have been submitted before the match was actually finished, the last ten minutes' play simply mentioning if any late goals were scored.

I've no doubt the Carlisle reporter had the benefit of a video recording of the game, also possibly speech-to-text software to aid filing his report. It's a good report, but not a "live" one.

We shouldn't forget that MB did his report during the match and it would have been submitted before the match was actually finished, the last ten minutes' play simply mentioning if any late goals were scored.

I've no doubt the Carlisle reporter had the benefit of a video recording of the game, also possibly speech-to-text software to aid filing his report. It's a good report, but not a "live" one.

Given the standard of journalism these days I am saddened/disappointed you've been able to find more or less the only possible negative from that report...

MB would file his text to a copy taker throughout the match for the Football Echo. A set number of words/paragraphs before kickoff then after 15, 30, 45, 60, 75 and an update on the final whistle. Any corrections would have to be made from memory. Monday reports were a rewrite with some overview/analysis, both from his own thoughts and after speaking to players, the manager, etc.

Modern reporters file their copy online even if updating throughout the game. If they've made a mistake or want to change anything they can see the full text and alter as they wish. I'm not actually sure there are any Saturday night football specials remaining so the skills needed to do 'immediate' match reports will have disappeared.

Given the standard of journalism these days I am saddened/disappointed you've been able to find more or less the only possible negative from that report...
I wasn't intending to be negative, just remarking how much things had changed in the past 60 years.

MB would file his text to a copy taker throughout the match for the Football Echo. A set number of words/paragraphs before kickoff then after 15, 30, 45, 60, 75 and an update on the final whistle. Any corrections would have to be made from memory. Monday reports were a rewrite with some overview/analysis, both from his own thoughts and after speaking to players, the manager, etc.

Modern reporters file their copy online even if updating throughout the game. If they've made a mistake or want to change anything they can see the full text and alter as they wish. I'm not actually sure there are any Saturday night football specials remaining so the skills needed to do 'immediate' match reports will have disappeared.
Thanks for the details. People today can't realise what a palaver it used to be to phone, especially when you had to phone the operator to connect you. It was only from sometime in the 1960s that could call direct from Carlisle to Lincoln.