Match Thread: Burton Albion v Lincoln City | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Burton Albion v Lincoln City

We that was less Turkey with Trimmings and more Turkey Twizzlers.
We have to defend really well and have to be the hardest working team on the pitch because that's our MO and makes up for the lack of flair and creativity in certain areas. When we do neither of those we are bound to be in trouble.
Have to be a bit concerned after a performance like that. We have bounced back well from previous poor performances this season and obviously done well against the better teams. However we have ridden our luck in some of those games and I am not at all convinced that is sustainable over the whole season.

Funny that- a season being 46 games long. One game doesn't really matter (ask Argentina, World Champions, who lost their opening WC game to Saudi Arabia).
Strangely please .These comparisons are a pointless excerise in spin.Today we were awful.We swaggered onto the pitch and within minutes the game was lost. .Two midfielders attempting to repel a physicaly superior opposition exhibiting desire and determination.Sanders did what Sanders does if he is denied space and time .He capitulates.Walsh appeared to have been drugged.Burton beasted us today .We were pathetic, embarrassing and cluessless.How you can compare that **** show to a world cup game is beyond me .

I dont think I've ever met anyone as smugly arrogant and condescending as StrangelyBrown. We all just need to learn that he knows so much better than all of us. :LOL:

Was pretty annoyed about today not just because we got pumped by a moderate side but because we just looked so horrendously disorganised. Can forgive people having off days but it seemed like we were 2 down and still working out what the hell we were doing tactically and who was picking up who. Getting done by the same ball over the wing backs and looking in disarray at set pieces with a back 5 who have all played cb for us (and three/four of them well experienced) was insane, was very tinpot. I thought signings like O'Connor were to mitigate this. Was like we were playing that system for the first time and with all our players arguing with each other but no one actually taking any ownership.

The first 30 mins was as bad as anything for a long long time.

Last edited:
Strangely please .These comparisons are a pointless excerise in spin.Today we were awful.We swaggered onto the pitch and within minutes the game was lost. .Two midfielders attempting to repel a physicaly superior opposition exhibiting desire and determination.Sanders did what Sanders does if he is denied space and time .He capitulates.Walsh appeared to have been drugged.Burton beasted us today .We were pathetic, embarrassing and cluessless.How you can compare that **** show to a world cup game is beyond me .

Read the post again. I'm not comparing the WC game- I'm comparing the comments that it's a good job the season is 46 games long. We win games and we lose games.

Simple really

Not scored in last 3 league games, 1 win in 7 - I do understand the concern. Hopefully we can still pick a few more points up at home.

It will be interesting to see if we stick with 5 defenders vs Bolton, or four.

5 at the back has been okay up to now, but when you concede 3 goals inside the first 30 minutes, something fundamentally is wrong.

I thought we looked better with a flat back 4, although it was obvious we had CBs playing at full back. Poole and Roughan will do their best, but they are evidently not full backs, and they are certainly not wing backs.

The only natural full/wing backs we have at the club are Jay Benn (answers on a postcard!) and Jamie Robson.

You shouldn’t shit yourself after one dreadful game (it happens), but this month we’ve played 5-2-3 against Shrewsbury, Wycombe and Burton and yielded 1 point.

Problem is, Bolton and especially Ipswich are ideal teams to play conservatively against (as we are clearly underdogs in both games). But after 1 point from 9, it’d take a brave man to stick rather than twist. Say we take a draw and a loss from the next two, that would be 2 points from 15. Crikey.

No doubt it’ll be a square pegs in round holes job, regardless of formation.

I just had the warm glow of yesteryear. Really thought we'd stopped letting sides wander along and shoot as they like, and that we were no longer the soft touch for struggling sides!!
At least I stayed home.

This 'soft touch for struggling sides' seems to have been a thing with us for so long that I wish I'd kept a record. I'm sure it's not imaginary.
How many times have we kick started the season for clubs who prior to playing us couldn't buy a win or in some cases a goal.
Burton, no win in 7. Accy earlier in the season hadn't scored for quite a few games. Charlton were on a crap run ( still are) but a draw was heralded as a good result. I think Ipswich early last season hadn't won until they played us after about ten games.
There are many more that I can't remember which is why I wish I'd kept a log.
This is too big a job even for Scotimp.

Someone will say this happens to all clubs and all bad runs come to an end, but it just seems to have happened to us so many times over the years.

It will be interesting to see if we stick with 5 defenders vs Bolton, or four.

5 at the back has been okay up to now, but when you concede 3 goals inside the first 30 minutes, something fundamentally is wrong.

I thought we looked better with a flat back 4, although it was obvious we had CBs playing at full back. Poole and Roughan will do their best, but they are evidently not full backs, and they are certainly not wing backs.

The only natural full/wing backs we have at the club are Jay Benn (answers on a postcard!) and Jamie Robson.

You shouldn’t shit yourself after one dreadful game (it happens), but this month we’ve played 5-2-3 against Shrewsbury, Wycombe and Burton and yielded 1 point.

Problem is, Bolton and especially Ipswich are ideal teams to play conservatively against (as we are clearly underdogs in both games). But after 1 point from 9, it’d take a brave man to stick rather than twist. Say we take a draw and a loss from the next two, that would be 2 points from 15. Crikey.

No doubt it’ll be a square pegs in round holes job, regardless of formation.

The worrying thing is that, arguably and in theory that was about our strongest side yesterday.

In this division, the 'R' word is never far behind in the rear view mirror, when you're in the bottom half.

I think Bolton are possibly a team you would not fancy playing after that debacle. Pugnacious, experienced and a knack of getting late goals.

Happening too often away from home for my liking Chippenham, Cambridge, Peterborough and yesterday all dreadful performance.

I think we really need to be pro active in the January transfer window otherwise we could well end up in a relegation fight.

This 'soft touch for struggling sides' seems to have been a thing with us for so long that I wish I'd kept a record. I'm sure it's not imaginary.
How many times have we kick started the season for clubs who prior to playing us couldn't buy a win or in some cases a goal.
Burton, no win in 7. Accy earlier in the season hadn't scored for quite a few games. Charlton were on a crap run ( still are) but a draw was heralded as a good result. I think Ipswich early last season hadn't won until they played us after about ten games.
There are many more that I can't remember which is why I wish I'd kept a log.
This is too big a job even for Scotimp.

Someone will say this happens to all clubs and all bad runs come to an end, but it just seems to have happened to us so many times over the years.

It happens to all clubs who settle around mid table- we have some sensational away results (Barnsley, Ipswich, Oxford, Pompey) and we have some really poor away results (Chippenham, Cambridge, Burton).

The difference between players in Championship and players in L1 includes their ability to play consistently more often than not and the ability to play within a plan but also play independently when the situation arises. The more you can do that, the more likely you'll be in the Championship.

From what I've seen so far, home and away, as an example. Diamond is showing exactly why he was not a first team Sunlan player- has skill and quality but is sorely lacking in consistency in application. On his day, he is excellent. But "his day" is not every game or every other game.

The biggest issue for me was the dreadful passing. We played the ball to the them, or into the crowd, more often than we played to our own players. Rushworth's distribution was poor (except for the long throw in the second half), Walsh couldn't find a team mate all afternoon, we didn't string 3 passes together for most of the first half.

Just watched the limited and very short highlights of the game. About one minute tops . Even for that short space if time it looked surreal. It was like a practice match for Burtons forwards were our defenders were not allowed to make an attempt to win the ball and had to stand off their opponents.
I particularly noted their second goal when the ball was played forward to Diamond and when he lost it his body language and effort told you he thought f--k this I am too good to have to chase that back.
For those of you poor sods who went or followed the game remotely I feel for you. Tell me please how it didn't finish up 10 nil?
As for Diamond , we know on his day he can be a very skilful and exciting player but do we want a player with that attitude? It is a catch 22 situation as he is our top goalscorer. But our best team performance recently was against Southampton and he was cup tied!