Match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Lincoln City | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Lincoln City

Saturday's game showed we need someone who is comfortable on the ball at centre back, so Montsma has to start there for me.

I agree. I'm not sure Montsma would be as good at that defensive midfield role as some think. At centre back you normally have the ball in front of you when looking for a forward pass. In midfield you need to receive the ball from all angles and then create space for yourself. Totally different.

Tackling would be no problem for Montsma, but the other aspects of a midfielder's play might be.

The midfielder I think we really missed out on is Gilbey, who chose Stevenage over us. He has started every game for Stevenage and has apparently done very well in the midfield anchor role we wanted him for.

I agree. I'm not sure Montsma would be as good at that defensive midfield role as some think. At centre back you normally have the ball in front of you when looking for a forward pass. In midfield you need to receive the ball from all angles and then create space for yourself. Totally different.

Tackling would be no problem for Montsma, but the other aspects of a midfielder's play might be.

The midfielder I think we really missed out on is Gilbey, who chose Stevenage over us. He has started every game for Stevenage and has apparently done very well in the midfield anchor role we wanted him for.
But in a league where the best 4 teams from last year are in our league and at least 2 could well be relegated back there.

Saturday's game showed we need someone who is comfortable on the ball at centre back, so Montsma has to start there for me.
Fair enough. I was just trying to offer a ‘thinking outside the box’ option and something different. Sometimes it pays to try something completely different, notwithstanding previous teams where we’ve had square pegs in round holes. Occasionally you discover a gem without realising you had one 🤔. It’s happened before and it’ll happen again. Like others, I’ll just be delighted to have a fit Montsma back in the side.