Match streaming - now official | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match streaming - now official

That's a bit of an issue Trev , it can't be 'cast' to a tv. I have a Chromecast and it doesn't work.
I am considering a USB to HDMI cable set up , so the games can be 'mirrored' to my TV.
I'm not tech minded , and it's the only way that I can imagine it working.
Depends what sort of TV you have. If you have a smart TV, you can use "smart view" on your phone to mirror the phone screen on the tv. Lot of ifs and buts but it does work fine.

Well I’m going to be watching (I hooked up a HDMI cable to the telly last year and it was fine on the one occasion I used it).
I’m then going to have a good 8 or 9 pints before the game, I shall invite a couple of neighbours round so they can stand behind me and shout anti-Scally chants and I can tell them to f##k off and lively verbals can ensue.
I shall then get the Mrs to pour a few beers 20 minutes before half time so it goes a little warm and flat.
i shall go upstairs and have a fag in the loo before drinking said warm, flat beer.
Then after the game I will walk to the local train station and back just so I can come home and tell the Mrs how shite it was, have my dinner and go to the pub.

All for a tenner!!

God I miss match days 👍

A quick question having never used the iFollow service before. If loads of Hull fans decide to watch the first league game, does the income go to Hull, or to the club providing the stream for that match i.e. Gillingham.

A quick question having never used the iFollow service before. If loads of Hull fans decide to watch the first league game, does the income go to Hull, or to the club providing the stream for that match i.e. Gillingham.

I’d imagine it goes to whichever club site you log in to and watch the stream through.

I've paid for a ST ages ago and am pleased to be able to watch games while crowds are restricted. £10 a pop cheap? Get away, they need to do everything in their power to hang onto fans because if they drift away they may not come back and there is a lot else on offer. Imagine they charged £15; does anyone seriously believe they would get much demand.

Sky would be televising way more games from the championship anyway. The bulk of the 130 EFL games they intend to show will be from that division. We are a bit of an afterthought and they probably feel, along with championship clubs, that they are doing us a favour. Add the "big bys" in our own division, who think all their games are worth more than ours, and you get the £10 away fan charge.

I think they have done enough to keep the show on the road for the immediate future and I'm thankful for that.

As a season ticket holder, I paid for games last season that I didn't get too see. I have also bought a 2 year season ticket, and again there will be many games that I can't attend. I have actually paid way over £10 a match for the streaming service, so don't feel they are doing me any favours by streaming a few games.
Why is it up to Sky to dictate what football clubs can and cannot do, the power of TV needs to be crushed when they start telling the EFL how they should operate the leagues.

As a season ticket holder, I paid for games last season that I didn't get too see. I have also bought a 2 year season ticket, and again there will be many games that I can't attend. I have actually paid way over £10 a match for the streaming service, so don't feel they are doing me any favours by streaming a few games.

Agreed, my ST in Medway stand equates to £17 a game this season.

I understand Covid has had a massive effect on life, but missing out on £90 worth of games last year and £7 a game this year feels like someone is taking the pi$$.

I find it odd championship club ST holders get home AND away games for free but not LG1 and 2 home games only!

Why not just make it the same for all 3 divisions?
Championship ST holders only get midweek away matches free not weekend matches. Even then the clubs have to agree to it.

They get home games and midweek away games.

"In addition, Season Ticket holders will, under the newly agreed framework, be provided access to all HOME GAMES, subject to the agreement of the Club where the supporter holds a season ticket. In the Championship access to AWAY MIDWEEK matches will also be available as part of the season ticket package if Clubs choose to offer it."

Why is it up to Sky to dictate what football clubs can and cannot do, the power of TV needs to be crushed when they start telling the EFL how they should operate the leagues.

Unless a Gillingham match is selected for Sky coverage then any streaming would be done via the iFollow platform which non-UK residents can already sign up for. As far as I can tell, Sky will be just following the TV deal that was signed whenever lower league coverage was last negotiated.

The only unclear thing is what happens if a Gillingham match happens to be selected for Sky Sports. Would the match still be streamable on iFollow to ST holders whereas non-ST holders shouldn't be able to?

Unless we are flying high and are playing Sunderland, I doubt we'd be selected for many Sky Sports live matches so this might be a meaningless worry.

The only technical issue is how will iFollow know if you are a season ticket holder and therefore should allow you to stream the match without needing to pay.

So what do you think both the EFL and the club should do then in order to do you a favour?

Personally in terms of average price per game of my season ticket compared with the £10 worth of "free" streaming, I am £3 worse off per match. But this is balanced out by not needing to pay for fuel and then food and programme once at the ground.

The EFL and iFollow are doing you and the club a favour by offering the service. The alternative is you not being able to see the match despite paying for a season ticket (assuming you don't ask the club for a refund)

As a season ticket holder I'm quite happy with this. I don't have faith however that the club have the necessary abilities to recognise that I shouldn't be paying for the IFollow matches in question. :rolleyes:

How does iFollow know if I'm a season ticket holder or not? If I have to quote a reference number or something from my season ticket, I haven't a scooby. Since paying for a two year season ticket I've had no contact with the club, other than them taking the money :arrghh:

How does iFollow know if I'm a season ticket holder or not? If I have to quote a reference number or something from my season ticket, I haven't a scooby. Since paying for a two year season ticket I've had no contact with the club, other than them taking the money :arrghh:

iFollow work it out with the clubs. The club will feed S/T holders a special code to use to get free access, as opposed to non ST holders, who will simply have to pay and access via the "normal" sign in and pay their £10 fee each time.

Regarding Baghdad`s query:

The only unclear thing is what happens if a Gillingham match happens to be selected for Sky Sports. Would the match still be streamable on iFollow to ST holders whereas non-ST holders shouldn't be able to?

The answer is, indeed, in the question. ST holders still get iFollow access at no extra cost; non ST holders are treated as if the game is blacked-out - can only watch it via Sky.

And you may well have bought one of the most expensive ST packages, as opposed to the most competitive offered - ie Brian Moore or R/End. But the iFollow "deal" doesn`t take into account different ST outlay tiers. It is the same benefit however much, or little, a ST holder paid. All L1 & L2 ST holders should have at least been granted the same deal as the Championship ST holders and had midweek away league games included in the free to watch arrangement.

Silly question but what about the many fans up and down the country who do not have a i phone?
There must be thousands of season ticket holders in this position many will also be the same people who won't be able to attend during the coronavirus outbreak for health reasons. I fear those fans will be totally ignored.

Silly question but what about the many fans up and down the country who do not have a i phone?
There must be thousands of season ticket holders in this position many will also be the same people who won't be able to attend during the coronavirus outbreak for health reasons. I fear those fans will be totally ignored.
Have I missed something? Why would they need an iPhone?

Owning an iPhone is not necessary to watch the stream. Fans will watch the matches via their PCs or any other Internet connected mobile device (if happy watching via a small screen). You don't specifically need an iPhone.

All L1 & L2 ST holders should have at least been granted the same deal as the Championship ST holders and had midweek away league games included in the free to watch arrangement.

It is possible that league one and two were offered the same deal as the championship but turned it down.

Also, on the basis that Championship matches are more likely to be screened on Sky, it could be that the offer of some midweek away matches is a way of ensuring ST holders get to see 23 matches via iFollow.

They get home games and midweek away games.

"In addition, Season Ticket holders will, under the newly agreed framework, be provided access to all HOME GAMES, subject to the agreement of the Club where the supporter holds a season ticket. In the Championship access to AWAY MIDWEEK matches will also be available as part of the season ticket package if Clubs choose to offer it."
Yeah, that’s what I meant Nitram.
I was just pointing out to WX that they don’t get all away games free, just midweek.
I worded it poorly.