Match Off | Vital Football

Match Off

What's up with these namby, pamby players today? In my day we would play in string vests and short shorts in minus 10. Prima donnas, all of them. And at half time stay on't pitch and suck a lemon and roll a fag.

LOL Its more to do with the soft namby pamby spectators in case they might slip outside he ground - We've bred a nation of softies !

My most memorable and favourite match from when I played Sunday league was in about 6 inches of snow. We basically cleared the lines with a snow shovel and got on with it. We were bottom of the third division and beat the division one leaders in the cup, brilliant match. I don't think they fancied it to be fair :2:

Inevitable I suppose but I was looking forward to getting out for that. Tough fixtures coming up and the disruption so far make our recent good run worth all the more.

I wouldn't have fancied sitting on me 'Arris, with a George like today, you could end up with the farmer's.

On he subject of rolling a fag, for the oldies on here, am I right in thinking John Simpson used to bring his fags and lighter on to the pitch and put them just behind the goalpost?

Unfortunate for anyone who has pre-paid travel etc., but we`ll have a better chance of a win against Rotherham in the re-arranged fixture. They are red hot at present, it can`t last.

Nobby_66 - 1/3/2018 13:36

My most memorable and favourite match from when I played Sunday league was in about 6 inches of snow. We basically cleared the lines with a snow shovel and got on with it. We were bottom of the third division and beat the division one leaders in the cup, brilliant match. I don't think they fancied it to be fair :2:

The old Colin Boswell Sunday League!
Remember playing against the likes of:
Hoo Institute
Red Dog
Fulston Manor
Stanoba
(Can't remember many now)

Great times.

Who did you play for Nobby?

A little known club called Larkfield and East Malling. Played in the Maidstone and Mid Kent league but later played for Snodland in the Medway league so played around Chatham, Strood and Gillingham quite a bit. Don't remember many of the teams but one that stands out in my memory was Medway 71. Always a tough physical game which ended with a scrap on more than one occasion. There was one "brawl" which involved all 22 players plus subs and managers. Happy days :8:

Can't remember the league I played in but there was a team of older ex semi pros called Kingsnorth. Will never forget them. Animals with every sly trick in the book.

I played for Medway United in the Sunday league and we had the extreme pleasure of meeting Breach Rovers in a cup game. Breach had a thirteen or fourteen year old Derek Hales playing along with seven or eight other Hales. The two or three non-Hales were brothers-in-law. We lost.

As for the weather, snow wasn't ever really a problem but I do remember pulling my mate out of a very deep puddle after he scored with a diving [literally] header.

Namby pamby northerners, I doubt you could even get out of Rotherham. Up here, the A65 between Skipton and Hellified was impassable to-day.

Nobby_66 - 1/3/2018 18:38

A little known club called Larkfield and East Malling. Played in the Maidstone and Mid Kent league but later played for Snodland in the Medway league so played around Chatham, Strood and Gillingham quite a bit. Don't remember many of the teams but one that stands out in my memory was Medway 71. Always a tough physical game which ended with a scrap on more than one occasion. There was one "brawl" which involved all 22 players plus subs and managers. Happy days :8:

I played for Medway 71 in a youth side. Probably U14's or thereabouts, just for one season.

I remember the first game we won about 20-0 the 2nd game we lost 10-2 :10:

Never played senior football myself. By my neck of the woods was where Red Dog, Kingsnorth, Hoo Inst etc were. Sounds like there were some, ahem, tough sides out that way. My ol Dad played for Stoke back in the day (40's, 50's and 60's.).

Played for Medway Olympic for a dozen years.
One game was against Commissioners at Strood and they had an ox-like centre forward called Vernon Henty who I was marking. He played the first 15 minutes of the second half smoking a roll up and I still couldn't get the ball off him.
Anyone else come up against him? :26:

Cuxton Social Club for me playing in goal. We would have played Nobby's lot at some point I am sure. We also played a Medway team of Italians called 'Azzuri' and Tony Bottiglieri (who played a couple of times for Gills) broke my thumb to end my keeping days!

Yep, I remember playing Cuxton social. Don't remember Tony Bottiglieri's lot though but do remember seeing him play for the Gills. Some claim to fame that Vambo :35: