Match Day Thread: Southampton v The Mighty Blades | Page 3 | Vital Football

Match Day Thread: Southampton v The Mighty Blades

A sour end to the season. Two away points from eighteen, the clean sheets have dried up, we can't hold onto the ball, some concerning dips in individuals' forms. we're playing too direct. Much work to be done before the 12th September.

Leon was given some thank you minutes today, but nowt for Kieran. Wouldn't have hurt to bring him on for the fatigued George.

I'm sad that we have ended the season like this - what's happened to our football? Possession at less than 30% is a hard watch - and right now if we get it, we give it away because the players are so surprised to have it.

We must work harder - its pass and move...........not pass and watch.

Not sure why they decided this was the way forward, and at least it has backfired.

Wilder is a great manager, but he has to be brave now to keep the team moving forward. There is no future in hoofball.

Expected to get turned over today so was no surprise the most worrying thing for me was we finished the season with Zivkovic and Clarke up top that’s a pub league strike force wilder got to work some magic in the next 6 weeks

We look afraid to play football and have done pretty much all year. We've just taken it to extremes recently.

I hope fatigue is largely to blame, but if it isn't I don't know how we're going to address this next season. The team and system will be largely the same. We need to refind our balls and belief.

Said it a thousand times but having pace and dribbling ability in the team would do us the world of good. Wilder doesn't seem to like those types though.

We look afraid to play football and have done pretty much all year. We've just taken it to extremes recently.

I hope fatigue is largely to blame, but if it isn't I don't know how we're going to address this next season. The team and system will be largely the same. We need to refind our balls and belief.

Said it a thousand times but having pace and dribbling ability in the team would do us the world of good. Wilder doesn't seem to like those types though.
I remember going to the first Q&A session with Chris at Handsworth blades in the Holme lea club and it was brought up about a lack of pace in the side and he answered with he would rather have players with speed of thought than out an out pace as has been borne out with his signings I would beg to differ now though as indeed I did then,I will admit still hes forgot more about the game than I know

Expected to get turned over today so was no surprise the most worrying thing for me was we finished the season with Zivkovic and Clarke up top that’s a pub league strike force wilder got to work some magic in the next 6 weeks

Maybe we got our Zivkovices mixed up. The good one plays for Benfica, and he's a wide pacy forward who likely is good enough to cut it in the PL. Whoever the Belgian scout is who's whispering into the club's ear we might want to stop listening to them.

Hogan and Madine are better than what we finished with today, and they play for Birmingham and Blackpool.

Thought first half we looked back to our old selves with Berge playing deep and Fleck and Lundstram bombing forward. We give away a poor goal second half and go to pieces with our subs and formation change again.

If we are to maintain the success of this season next year our plan B can't be 4 at the back as we look all over the place. We need a 10, maybe it'll be Swift or even L. Freeman being given a chance or Goldie dropping back with two in front.

What's certain is we know the formation that gave us the most success over the last three years was 3-4-1-2. No problem with the more defensive 3-5-1-1 this year it got us over the line. We only scored 39 goals that will not be enough next year. Agree we have to be more adventurous especially at Home against bottom 10 teams.

Ings goin for Goalden/Golden Boot,jusst one goal behind Vardy.UTMPB

I think Clarke was more a thankyou gestre for his services :clap:

The short gap between now and the start of next season is going to completely kill us. There are many who will be thanking their lucky stars we didn't qualify for Europe, but if we did there'd be no issue with how bad we've been since the restart.

Wolves, for example have to finish off this years Europa, probably start next years Europa, and then start in the Premier League again, all by September 12th.

Will they get relegated because of exhaustion ?
No they won't

It would have been different if we had taken our chances in the first 20 minutes. It should re- inforce to management the necessity to acquire two forwards who can convert these chances before next season starts .None of the 4 we saw today will be good enough.
In the meantime let's enjoy the season we just witnessed

Main positive today.....

That should, with a bit of luck, be the last time we have to 'take the knee'.

Its been a disgrace that the EPL have been pandering to a marxist and racist organisation under the guise of a humanist mantra. I saw some advert thing on C4 the other night for BLM (the sentiment, not the organisation), and it was a young black woman saying how she'd been called nasty names at school, to which my 'shout at the telly response' was, 'You should had tried being ginger*..!'

*I am not ginger, but any ginger kid got absolutely battered at school as I recall. We are confusing a bit of personal abuse with racism.

Last edited:
We didn‘t take our chances and then ran out of steam, pretty much like the season as a whole and very much like happened in our first season back in the Championship. My main concern since the restart is the way we’ve capitulated in some games and screwed our goal difference up in the process. It’s most unlike Wilder sides but I don’t think we can deny that in the last few weeks we’ve seen heads go down in certain games and I reckon we saw that again yesterday especially after their second goal. I never thought we’d get back into it and I got the impression neither did the players which is concerning and contrary to everything we’ve come to expect from this squad.

It’s hard to find fault with them really, but If we’re going to build on this season like we did back in the Championship we need new blood particularly up front and in attacking midfield. If the dip is down to a physical burn out issue of key players or mental tiredness, then maybe the time has come for Chris to move away from playing the settled side and rotate more, but we’ll need more quality right throughout the squad to do that. Over to you if that’s the case HRH.

Excellent post Gray. No doubt Wilder sees these issues . He won't be blinded by the overachievement and know it counts for diddley squat when it all starts again in a few short weeks.