Mark Bonner | Page 8 | Vital Football

Mark Bonner

I may be wrong but do not give a f about sounding good, presentations, etc. its all irrelevant - only points on the board count.
True but managers need to sound good in the dressing room.If they don't it is rare that players perform.If the manager in question sounds poorly in to media interview he probably sounds much the same in the dressing room.

I thought that Clemence was utterly professional throughout his time with us. He behaved like a gentleman and, in my view, deserves to be remembered in a similar fashion. The only thing he apparently did not have was the capacity to get a group of footballers to perform with some form of consistancy. I liked the man and would have liked to have seen him succeed - unfortunately others thought different and they had the power to remove him. No matter what, I wish him well.
So the "only thing" was the thing that BG thought could be helped by improved coaching from someone who had built their reputation on, er, coaching. And who was being encouraged to spend all his time doing coaching. I am convinced that was the new direction alluded to.

He only had 5 and a half months but that should have been enough to at least show the early signs of improvement, in both the team and players that he coached. As some have said, it is difficult to think of a player that was showing that they were flourishing under SC in a way that they had not been before. Were they really uncoachable?

There is no doubt that he is a gentleman. Well, three of our most successful managers were Pulis, Evans and Allen. Would they have passed the gentleman test? Even Taylor could be pretty sullen.

So it seems that in the end the only way that SC could have improved us would have been by recruiting new players, i.e managing rather than coaching. Unfortunately, under the system BG wanted at the time, that was still the remit of the DOF.

Maybe if SC was applying now, and to be a manager, he may have impressed more than MB (though I doubt it personally) so the timing was just bad for him. I wish him well, as well.

Last edited:
I'd love this to be completely unrelated to football, Paula eyeing up the last jar of chutney in the Gore farm shop before Lindsey swoops in and grabs it off the shelf. " Fucking hell Scott how can I make a ploughman's lunch now you fucking c u nt? " Lindsey walks off to the till laughing his head off.
Babe, I was there. You don’t even want to know what was said at the cheese counter LOL x

Last edited:
I know there’s been a fair few of Bonners interviews and podcasts being shown, but not sure if anyone has viewed his 2 podcasts with NTT20. Apologies if already posted.

No1 was about his time at Cam U and was very interesting. This is the 2nd one talking about football management in general. Very well worth listening too. A lot of it very relevant to us right now.

If the link don’t work, just use whatever podcast app you have and search for Not The Top 20. These interviews were back in Jan, 2 months after he was sacked.

So the "only thing" was the thing that BG thought could be helped by improved coaching from someone who had built their reputation on, er, coaching. And who was being encouraged to spend all his time doing coaching. I am convinced that was the new direction alluded to.

He only had 5 and a half months but that should have been enough to at least show the early signs of improvement, in both the team and players that he coached. As some have said, it is difficult to think of a player that was showing that they were flourishing under SC in a way that they had not been before. Were they really uncoachable?

There is no doubt that he is a gentleman. Well, three of our most successful managers were Pulis, Evans and Allen. Would they have passed the gentleman test? Even Taylor could be pretty sullen.

So it seems that in the end the only way that SC could have improved us would have been by recruiting new players, i.e managing rather than coaching. Unfortunately, under the system BG wanted at the time, that was still the remit of the DOF.

Maybe if SC was applying now, and to be a manager, he may have impressed more than MB (though I doubt it personally) so the timing was just bad for him. I wish him well, as well.
Clemence was maybe the right man at the wrong time in my estimation. As for whether he actually improved anyone, we'll never really know but it is highly likely.

When Remeao Hutton joined the team we were told he was alright going forward but rubbish as a defender. Well, they were right about his competence when attacking, I have seldom seen a more versatile, two footed wingback playing in Gills colours and his crosses often caused problems for the opposing defences, just a shame we were not able to capitalise on them. Where "those in the know" were well short of the mark was when it came to his defensive work. When needed, he was back there putting a shift in with the backline and it is not entirely impossible the SC was responsible for that.

SC also showed that he was not afraid to put one of the fans favourites on the bench after he made a few defensive blunders (Shad Ogie), dropped Malone for Clark and I thought was a change for the better. Not sure how involved he was bringing in Josh Andrews but he looks to have the ability and potential to become our new "Eeeeaves" and I hope Bonner is able to unlock that potential.

The coming transfer period, and players we make available, will more than likely give a good indication as to the direction the manager and directors want to go. I hope we can all get behind them and get Priestfield rocking on a more regular basis.

We have the foundations in place to make a terrific team capable of pushing for promotion, we just need a couple of strong cornerstones to get the team shining in a new light.

Last edited:
When Remeao Hutton joined the team we were told he was alright going forward but rubbish as a defender. Well, they were right about his competence when attacking, I have seldom seen a more versatile, two footed wingback playing in Gills colours and his crosses often caused problems for the opposing defences, just a shame we were not able to capitalise on them. Where "those in the know" were well short of the mark was when it came to his defensive work. When needed, he was back there putting a shift in with the backline and it is not entirely impossible the SC was responsible for that.

His fitness was a welcome bonus.

He was on the pitch for every minute of every league game last season and actually played 47 league games (27 for Swindon and 20 for us).

His fitness was a welcome bonus.

He was on the pitch for every minute of every league game last season and actually played 47 league games (27 for Swindon and 20 for us).
I agree, he is certainly one of the most athletic players in the team and not being scared to put the boot in where needed was also an added bonus. I liked him basically from the first time he played for us..... great signing.

Last edited:
No it would not.
Exactly what is the 1965 point?

Oh, I think you're going to be in the minority here JA, but fair play for you thinking communication isn't a key component of modern football management. That's quite the hot take.

Oh, I think you're going to be in the minority here JA, but fair play for you thinking communication isn't a key component of modern football management. That's quite the hot take.

Nothing like imagining someone else’s opinion and then calling it out as a ‘hot take’ :clap:

Nothing like imagining someone else’s opinion and then calling it out as a ‘hot take’ :clap:

Not sure NW has made a massive leap of imagination there to be fair.

It's a bit weird to think that doing a presentation is somehow not Proper Football and unrelated to the ability to communicate strategy to the players.