Mansfield Town 1-3 Lincoln City - What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Mansfield Town 1-3 Lincoln City - What 3 Things Did We Learn?

1, Mansfail have their worst manager for sometime and we showed we are a league above with both sides making significant changes from the weekend.
2. The style and method is replicated whoever we play in the team and demonstrates how much work/drills have been done on the training pitch.
3. The last time I thoroughly enjoyed watching the imps was in the early eighties and mostly everything else has been from behind my fingers. Not anymore, highly entertaining.

1, Mansfail have their worst manager for sometime and we showed we are a league above with both sides making significant changes from the weekend.
2. The style and method is replicated whoever we play in the team and demonstrates how much work/drills have been done on the training pitch.
3. The last time I thoroughly enjoyed watching the imps was in the early eighties and mostly everything else has been from behind my fingers. Not anymore, highly entertaining.

Even the 3 years under the Cowleys? I thoroughly enjoyed that.

1. Mansfield continue to go from strength to strength under the Radfords. Demonstrating their ability to buy well, develop talent and step up to new challenges. The success of this policy could well see them facing up to the challenge of non-League football next season.
2. We have a really exciting, talented, squad of players who are just itching to go out and entertain. They trust each other in possession, move off the ball constantly and are as exciting breaking out from a defensive position as they are trying to open up a clammed up defence in the final third.
3. Our entire squad would be disappointed not to be a guaranteed starter in almost any team from the last 35 years.

1. There is now no deadwood in this squad. Everyone is well coached, on message and capable of slotting into the side and performing well.
2. Several can perform multiple roles, adding to the depth of the squad without inflating numbers. The sight of our 2 regular full backs peforming capably together at the centre of the defence was heartening. That their combined age is 37 is, frankly, astonishing - that's one Jason Shackell.
3. The gulf in quality to Mansfield was huge. The ability of players to take a pass in a way to give time and space, pass accurately and often with penetration, and support each other for maximum options is producing some of the best football I've seen in over 50 years watching the Imps, technically to a very high standard and entertaining to watch.

I had to di the maths on point 3 and delete what I started writing, post Murphy you have a decent point. MAPP might well be the best manager we’ve had in 35 years too.

I have been an Imp for many years and in the 70s Graham Taylor’s team was the best I have seen from a City side really entertaining attacking football. In between came along the Murph John and Keith Which made you proud to be an Imp again. Then followed by the bad years resurrected by the board and the Cowleys What a time to be an Imp. Then along comes along MA after an in different start I can now say in all my time this is the best possession football I have ever seen from a Lincoln City side In my lifetime. To add my penny worth to improve the magnificent side I would say as Notty does stop F—-King about at the back as that has cost us goals and protect the dead ball situations better. Other than little moan congratulations to everyone and Lincoln City and all my fellow supporters

To add my penny worth to improve the magnificent side I would say as Notty does stop F—-King about at the back as that has cost us goals

Can you not see the link between playing out from the back and "the best possession football I have ever seen from a Lincoln City side."

Your suggested improvement of just lumping it upfield may not have the effect you desire

Better to look at it from the point of view that if we only occasionally drop a clanger by playing it out from the back, the magnificent football you believe you are seeing, along with the victories which are accompany it, make it a price well worth paying.

Can you not see the link between playing out from the back and "the best possession football I have ever seen from a Lincoln City side."

Your suggested improvement of just lumping it upfield may not have the effect you desire

Better to look at it from the point of view that if we only occasionally drop a clanger by playing it out from the back, the magnificent football you believe you are seeing, along with the victories which are accompany it, make it a price well worth paying.

..... which is precisely MApp's ethos and bloody easy on the eye it is too.

Saturday proved that the odd slip-up does not change our playing style one iota.

We weren't fazed, which is remarkable given how many young players there are in our team.

I completely agree. MA is introducing a footballing culture to Lincoln that I've not seen at Lincoln in my lifetime. It's easy to forget all the failed hoofs up the pitch over the years.

As another thread said - let's enjoy excelling at the positives rather than attempting to counteract the negatives. Both are valid philosophies, but right now I'm enjoying the never-say-die philosophy and the exciting brand of attacking football.

FAATB will concede possession and chances, that's a fact. We have younger than average L1 defenders. It should come as no surprise that they aren't ready-made Beckenbauers. Luckily they're up against L1 attackers, who themselves are prone to mistakes. And by some coincidence the defence are organised enough to recover from in-game mistakes.

Let's face it, MA has recruited excellently. This is not just a case of Jez George doing an excellent job or MA's WBA connection - it is in some significant part down to players wanting to come to Lincoln and play football. That in itself is a massive paradigm shift that I for one am grateful for.

this is the best possession football I have ever seen from a Lincoln City side In my lifetime. To add my penny worth to improve the magnificent side I would say as Notty does stop F—-King about at the back as that has cost us goals and protect the dead ball situations better.

Agree on the 'best possession football', in my time which is over 50 years watching the Imps. Murphy's Div 3 contenders had their moments, Schoey's side also but at a level lower. GT's sides were more about power, as indeed were DC's.

The F***ing about at the back is, as Chimpimp points out, part and parcel of that. The difference this season is all the CBs and DMs are comfortable playing that way, whereas for Bolger, Shackell and Bozzie last season it wasn't. There will still be occasional errors such as Bridcutt's last Saturday, which ironically came as a result of a previous long clearance which gave the ball away and put us under pressure. The movement and accuracy of the team as a whole makes playing out short from the back more effective than kicking long which too often gives the ball away, with the quality of opposition at this level more likely to hurt us as a result.

Agree 100% about defending of set pieces, that's a real achilles heel and is likely to cost us games unless it improves. Clearly preseason and ongoing training has concentrated on fitness and technical skills to the extent we have started the season with the style and stamina we are all drooling over. Having concentrated on that and achieved those levels, more training time may now be spent on defensive organisation? Indeed, a price worth paying for results so far.

I never suggested lumping up field. Although it may not have said it I mean,t be more accurate with our passes out from the back. The inaccuracy cost us goals in two matches to date. Hope that clears it up.

I never suggested lumping up field. Although it may not have said it I mean,t be more accurate with our passes out from the back. The inaccuracy cost us goals in two matches to date. Hope that clears it up.
Fair enough (if a bit optimistic) - but always dangerous to associate yourself with Notty's views - he likes it in row z!!

Last edited: