City 27 - 0 YB (UEFA Stat)
On Target
City 8 YB 0
Off Target
City 10 YB 0
Woodwork
City 0 YB 0
Attendance: 51,049
CITY XI: Ederson, Walker (C)**, Stones*, Dias, Gvardiol, Kovacic****, Lewis, Nunes, Foden, Grealish, Haaland***

Subs: Ortega Moreno, Carson, Phillips**, Ake*, Doku*, Rodrigo, Alvarez, Bernardo, Bobb***

Stats curtesy of

Last edited:
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola was concerned about his players' ability to maintain their high standards following last season's Treble success.

In his programme notes tonight, Guardiola expresses his delight and their response.

"I am so happy with the start to the season," he said. "I can see my players are hungry and want more success.

"For a manager, nothing can beat this. To have players who are so driven, professional, consistent and determined is all you can ask for.

"If we stay in this mindset, we will be challenging for trophies at the end of the season."

I think you will Pep, I think you will.

Pep sees City hunger​

Man City v Young Boys (20:00 GMT)
ec73c1ae-13a6-4f20-8c1a-9e2f31967a38.jpg

Simon Stone
BBC Sport at the Etihad Stadium

Young Boys not in same class​

HT: Man City 2-0 Young Boys
ec73c1ae-13a6-4f20-8c1a-9e2f31967a38.jpg

Simon Stone
BBC Sport at Etihad Stadium
I'm not sure if it is Young Boys not wanting to open themselves up by pushing forward or simply not being able to, but the Swiss side are barely having any possession in Manchester City's final third.
It feels very much as though they are happy to enjoy the experience of facing the European champions, not get beaten too badly and take their chances on facing Red Star Belgrade - at home - on 28 November knowing victory would put them into the Europa League play-offs.

HALF-TIME​

So far, so good for City as we take a 2-0 lead into the break against Young Boys.
Erling Haaland, a doubt pre-match after coming off injured at half-time in the Bournemouth win, opened the scoring from the spot on 33 minutes and Phil Foden curled a fine effort home in first half stoppage time.
Remember a win tonight and we’re through to the knockout stages with two games to spare.

FULL-TIME​

The Champions of Europe cruised past Young Boys 3-0 to ensure progress into the knockout phases of the 2023/24 competition.
Goals from Erling Haaland (2) and Phil Foden saw off the Swiss side in front of 51,049 at the Etihad, meaning we’ve made into February’s Round of 16 with two games still to play.
Join Paul Dickov, Steve Howey and Esme Morgan alongside Cel Spellman on Matchday Live for their take on the game.
Tune in at the top of the page!

Last edited:
Here are five great City-centric stats

- City win our first four group games for a third time, also doing so in 2017/18 and 2020/21. We are only the fourth holders of the trophy to win our first four games of the next season, along with Bayern Munich (2013/14 and 2020/21) and Real Madrid (2014/15).

- City are now unbeaten in our last 28 home games in the UEFA Champions League (W26 D2). Only one English team has ever had a longer run without a home defeat in the European Cup/UEFA Champions League, with Liverpool going 30 home games without a loss between 1976 and 2001 (W26 D4).

- City – who have the highest possession average in the UEFA Champions League this season (70.6%) – have completed 90.2% of our passes under pressure in the competition this term – that’s the most of any side.

- City’s Rodri has completed the most passes (302) and has progressed the ball the second furthest distance with ball carries (663m) in the UEFA Champions League this season. He has been involved in four goals in his last eight appearances in the competition (3 goals, 1 assist), after not scoring or assisting in his first 43 games in the competition.

- Erling Haaland has scored 26 goals in 21 UEFA Champions League appearances at the group stages (8 in 6 games for FC Red Bull Salzburg, 9 in 7 for Borussia Dortmund, 9 in 8 for Man City), a record by a player in his first 20 appearances in the groups - the previous most was 18 by Harry Kane.

amended stat from www.mancity.com

💯 UP!​

City’s 3-0 win over Young Boys at the Etihad Stadium tonight was also our 100th in major European competitions.
Having taken 183 matches, we are the second quickest of the six English sides to reach the century of wins.
52 of those victories have come under the watch of current boss Pep Guardiola, who guided us to our maiden Champions League triumph last season.
Liverpool are the quickest English side to win 100 times in Europe, taking 170 games, while we have narrowly pipped Tottenham Hotspur to the post, with the North London club needing 184 fixtures.
The remaining English sides are Manchester United (191), Chelsea (192) and Arsenal (209).

💯 UP!​

City’s 3-0 win over Young Boys at the Etihad Stadium tonight was also our 100th in major European competitions.
Having taken 183 matches, we are the second quickest of the six English sides to reach the century of wins.
52 of those victories have come under the watch of current boss Pep Guardiola, who guided us to our maiden Champions League triumph last season.
Liverpool are the quickest English side to win 100 times in Europe, taking 170 games, while we have narrowly pipped Tottenham Hotspur to the post, with the North London club needing 184 fixtures.
The remaining English sides are Manchester United (191), Chelsea (192) and Arsenal (209).
Wow!

Manchester Evening News
player ratings

Ederson (6) Walker (7) Dias (7) Gvardiol (7)
Kovacic (6) Stones (8) Lewis (7) Nunes (7)
Foden (7) Grealish (7) Haalnd (8)
Subs Ake (7) Phillips (6) Bobb (6) Doku (7)
not used Ortega, Carson Phillips, Rodri, Silva, Alvarez

'I need to score more'​

FT: Man City 3-0 Young Boys
74d215d1-1b6a-4091-8523-c65e2179b1e8.jpg

Manchester City
Jack Grealish, speaking to TNT Sports, on his pass for Phil Foden's goal: "I just thought to hit it straight out to Phil and let him go at the defender one on one. I didn't think it was that good a ball, was it?
"I need to start scoring more goals. I know what I bring to the team asides from goals and assists, but every attacking player wants to score more goals."