Manchester City - Wolverhampton Wanders - Premier League Post Match Thread Stats & Reaction | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City - Wolverhampton Wanders - Premier League Post Match Thread Stats & Reaction

'He was frustrated with the referee'published at 19:45
19:45​

FT: Man City 5-1 Wolves

74d215d1-1b6a-4091-8523-c65e2179b1e8.jpg
Manchester City

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola to Sky Sports:
"It looks comfortable but it was not. In the end we created more chances but in the transition we were not precise in the last pass. But Erling [Haaland] is back to business. Penalties are a guarantee but the second and fourth [goals] were unbelievable.

"They are a really, really good team but we made calls in the right moment, especially with the fourth because at 3-1 anything can happen.

"The 20 minutes he [Haaland] played against Nottingham Forest was really good and today as well. We won, but it was so long an injury. It is welcome he arrived in the right moment. But we arrive together because Erling and Kevin [De Bruyne] have been out, but Phil [Foden] and Julian [Alvarez] have played so well."

On Haaland's reaction after coming off: "He's a little bit frustrated, but I understand. He was frustrated with the referee. With the long balls sometimes they push him and he is pulled. Yes, it is like that.

"Goal difference is not possible, we cannot draw. The way Arsenal have been playing has been so good and consistent. It's three games, hopefully we win the first and the second and arrive to the third with our destiny in our own hands."

FT: Man City 5-1 Wolves

Erling Haaland (now 61) reached the 60-goal tally in the Premier League today, in his 63rd appearance in the competition. Before today, the fewest matches a player needed to reach 60 Prem goals was 77 by Alan Shearer.

Redknapp: Haaland is an animal in front of goal​

Sky Sports' Jamie Redknapp:
"We all want so much from a forward. Sometimes we talk about the finesse and little touches that he doesn't do so well but he's an animal in front of goal.
"The mentality he has. He scored four goals and you could see he was furious that he'd come off.
"This guy is built differently. He is a phenomenon. I love watching him. All the goals he scores and he wants more. He knew there would be another chance and the one Alvarez scored would have been perfect for him to get five.
"He wants to destroy teams. It's very easy to say what he can't do, just enjoy what he can do. When people criticise him I find it hard to understand sometimes."

CITY XI:
Ederson 6, abysamal for the cross
Walker (C 7), good distribution
Akanji 8, in control
Ake 8, solid
Gvardiol 7, got soft penalty
Rodrigo 9, top drawer
Kovacic 7, tidy
De Bruyne 7, wasteful
Foden 7, positive
Bernardo 8, excellent
Haaland 9, masterclass

Subs: Stones 7, Grealish 6, Doku 6, Alvarez 7, Nunes 6,

for more in depth detailed comments

Wolves manager Gary O'Neil to Sky Sports: "I thought we damaged ourselves mostly. I think the first goal is obviously not our doing or error. The second goal we lose the ball really cheaply. I think the last goal it's unbelievable that we lose the ball when we had it at the back under no pressure.

"If you make errors against these they'll punish you. We made too many errors and Manchester City were very clinical.

"We fell short today, I'm disappointed with how we fell short. We made some key errors which you can't make.

"I though the first one was not a penalty. At 1-0 we had a good, long spell on the ball. If they hadn't have been given that start it may have been different. Then we gave them a soft second goal. There were loads of little things that meant we weren't able to compete against the best team in Europe too much."

On the first penalty decision: "You see those incidents all the time. He's already had the shot. I don't know what he can do. It's his swinging leg that causes the contact. I'm surprised with how quickly it's given. I thought it was a poor decision. That part of the officiating was really bad.

"I'd have no idea if that would have made any difference. We may have lost 4-1. It's a key part of the game. I wasn't expecting it to be given.

"The second one was probably a penalty but once it wasn't given I was surprised it was overturned. I'm happy with the decision but not happy with how it was given. Is it clear and obvious? I didn't think it was, but obviously I may be biased. I am the Wolves manager.

"I have to talk about the decisions because they happened in the game, but they're not the talking point. The story is Manchester City were excellent. The officials haven't cost us."

Wolves manager Gary O'Neil to Sky Sports: "I thought we damaged ourselves mostly. I think the first goal is obviously not our doing or error. The second goal we lose the ball really cheaply. I think the last goal it's unbelievable that we lose the ball when we had it at the back under no pressure.

"If you make errors against these they'll punish you. We made too many errors and Manchester City were very clinical.

"We fell short today, I'm disappointed with how we fell short. We made some key errors which you can't make.

"I though the first one was not a penalty. At 1-0 we had a good, long spell on the ball. If they hadn't have been given that start it may have been different. Then we gave them a soft second goal. There were loads of little things that meant we weren't able to compete against the best team in Europe too much."

On the first penalty decision: "You see those incidents all the time. He's already had the shot. I don't know what he can do. It's his swinging leg that causes the contact. I'm surprised with how quickly it's given. I thought it was a poor decision. That part of the officiating was really bad.

"I'd have no idea if that would have made any difference. We may have lost 4-1. It's a key part of the game. I wasn't expecting it to be given.

"The second one was probably a penalty but once it wasn't given I was surprised it was overturned. I'm happy with the decision but not happy with how it was given. Is it clear and obvious? I didn't think it was, but obviously I may be biased. I am the Wolves manager.

"I have to talk about the decisions because they happened in the game, but they're not the talking point. The story is Manchester City were excellent. The officials haven't cost us."

Gary O’Neil. :finger:

Manchester City: Ederson (5), Walker (7), Akanji (7), Ake (7), Gvardiol (8), Rodri (8), Kovacic (7), Silva (7), De Bruyne (7), Foden (8), Haaland (10).

Subs: Stones (6), Nunes (6), Grealish (6), Doku (6).

A strange game, in that Wolves looked tidy and 'dangerous' at times without really threatening Ederson.
The early penalty helped, and I was mostly reminded of Foden's concession for the late Palace equaliser at home.
I thought City were sloppy and weak in possession together with challenging for the ball at times in the first half, but what a superb second.
The third killed the game effectively, and I can only presume Pawson took his time (how? why?) over the decision to mitigate against sending off the defender.

Poor by Ederson for the goal, but that immediate strike back snuffed out any thoughts of Wolves getting something from the game. A very niggly and persistent fouling few minutes followed, and a very tidy finish by Alvarez for the final goal.

Job done, and the next task is to win next weekend to see if Arsenal can then get a result at the swamp.

It really was terrific to see Merlin and family get his deserved standing ovation before kick off.

A strange game, in that Wolves looked tidy and 'dangerous' at times without really threatening Ederson.
The early penalty helped, and I was mostly reminded of Foden's concession for the late Palace equaliser at home.
I thought City were sloppy and weak in possession together with challenging for the ball at times in the first half, but what a superb second.
The third killed the game effectively, and I can only presume Pawson took his time (how? why?) over the decision to mitigate against sending off the defender.

Poor by Ederson for the goal, but that immediate strike back snuffed out any thoughts of Wolves getting something from the game. A very niggly and persistent fouling few minutes followed, and a very tidy finish by Alvarez for the final goal.

Job done, and the next task is to win next weekend to see if Arsenal can then get a result at the swamp.

It really was terrific to see Merlin and family get his deserved standing ovation before kick off.
The Wolves defender was the last defender and it was a goal scoring opportunity, I could not see why it was not a red card. The first penalty which they say is controversial, I likened that to Ederson coming out and taking out the attacker, same here only it is the defender doing it, but I have also seen them not given and as usual whatever the decision is given on field is usually upheld by VAR. The 2nd was a clear and obvious error and VAR right to call the Ref to the monitor

The Wolves defender was the last defender and it was a goal scoring opportunity, I could not see why it was not a red card. The first penalty which they say is controversial, I likened that to Ederson coming out and taking out the attacker, same here only it is the defender doing it, but I have also seen them not given and as usual whatever the decision is given on field is usually upheld by VAR. The 2nd was a clear and obvious error and VAR right to call the Ref to the monitor
I was actually at a loss to understand the debate about the first penalty. The defender clattered into an opponent inside th penalty area making zero contact with the ball. It would be a foul a nd a free kick outside the 18 yard box….so why the debate? And, as pointed out by us both in the MDT, Ederson was penalised for a similar offence at The Emirates. End. Of. Discussion. Including you Micah Richards.

You could well be right about the second - this is why getting the audio keeps rugby officials honest. You can hear the discussion between the a on field official and the TMO whereas here you can just imagine….
Ref: “bugger - it’s Michael O’Neil…..are we sure it’s a pen? If I give it and it isn’t he’ll go ape”
VAR: “It’s a stonewall pen mate….tell you what ….get your arse over to the monitor and pretend to be reviewing differnet angles……I tell you it’s a banker……but you’ll give yourself some breathing space AND……the delay might give you an excuse not to sen off the defender because I have to say…..it was a goal scoring opportunity …i mean Haaland eas in the process of shooting but I know what you mean. We give a second pen AND send off one of his dirty players…..well…..fireworks!!”

Home in my Melbourne den having just watched the match. Why do the public have to put up with the full wit biased Spit, the first pen was a pen and the second should have been red, if the ref did his job. More than happy with 5, but should have been many more. As for Eddy he mis-judged the balls flight, and missed his punch, which can happen, even to a top keeper. As for our Viking, he did his job very well today, even his pressing was much better, and I don't give a rats how many touches he gets. Amazing what a weeks rest can do. Godri was playing much higher and looked a bit leggy running back at times, but what a player, the best in his spot in World football, without any doubt.