Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion - Premier League - Tuesday 15th December 2020 KO 20:00 GMT - Premier League Match Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion - Premier League - Tuesday 15th December 2020 KO 20:00 GMT - Premier League Match Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Another Load of Waffle
City has a mini crisis upfront, we have temporarily lost the ability to score on a regular basis. We have it appears to have solved the leak at the other end and the resurgence of John Stones is a big bonus and will no doubt also resurrect his England Career.
Our problem lies upfront and we are no longer dead eye dicks when it comes to scoring goals and whilst fingers can be pointed at certain individuals we need to get back to basics of passing the player in a better position to score, but even more urgent is to take our chances when they come along.
The Baggies are in town, newly promoted to the Premier and these teams always save either their best for these games or are caught in the headlights like a rabbit, let us hope it is the latter case and that City can come through these games without incurring any injuries. Slaven Bilić who does his best on a limited budget and the Baggies are not an easy push over, this will be our 155th game against them having won 71 drawn 29 and lost 54 so honours slightly in City favour, but as always Pep will respect the opposition and that will be reflected in his team selection.
The match will be televised on Amazon Prime Video a pay subscription channel.

City Team News
Pep Guardiola,
who has been advocating the use of 5 substitutes has been criticised for not using all his substitutes in the last couple of games, however, the adage of why fix it if it is not broken still holds good, but we did miss Sergio Aguero who will be doubtful for this match with a stomach bug (non-covid related) Eric Garcia is still out from the injury he picked up against Marseille

Beat the Pep
Ederson
Cancelo Stones Laporte Mendy
Rodri, Bernardo, Torres, De Bruyne, Sterling
Jesus

Match Officials
Referee:
Peter Bankes.
Assistants: Ian Hussin, Neil Davies.
Fourth official: Anthony Taylor.
VAR: Martin Atkinson.
Assistant VAR: Stephen Child.

Next
Premier League Saturday 26th December 2020 - KO- 20:00 GMT (unbelievable)

Manchester City v Newcastle United

BT Sport (at least it is at Home but feel sorry for Newcastle, it is a long way to come, at least the fans won't be too miffed at not being able to travel)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know this ref, so I had a gander.
He normally refs in the EFL.
However, he has been in charge of 15 PL games, issued 1 red and 53 yellows.

The average number of yellow cards per game in the PL in 2018/19 was 3 so his average is slightly higher than that but that’s the nature of averages. Fingers crossed he doesn’t go crazy on Tuesday!

With our game in hand vs Villa we are 3pts off top, so time to push up the pace, get back to our industrious and busy best and give the baggies a good going over to fix our goal difference. We can't keep playing with two defensive mids, it is killing our ability to make chances. Has Pep started to lose his bottle and be worried about not making a CL spot, I wonder?

Pep Guardiola's Team News injury update

"Today Sergio was training. The last two or three days he could not train, today he trained, and we will decide tomorrow.”

The boss also confirmed that both Eric Garcia and Olkesandr Zinchenko were still unavailable due to injury.
“Eric is still not fit, Oleks neither. The rest are OK,” added Pep.

This one is being covered on Amazon, as Buzz states in his intro, and I took out a 30 day free trial at the start of the month, so it'll cover all three City games in December.

I've had a look, and the coverage is anchored by Gabby Logan, with Owen Hargreaves, Steve McManaman, and Alan Shearer as pundits.

Commentary from Peter Drury and Andy Townsend, with a starting time of 7.30pm.

Also posted in the Tactics Board thread

Ederson Cancelo Mendy Dias Laporte Gundogan Foden De Bruyne B Silva Torres
G Jesus

Walker Stones Rodri Sterling Mahrez Aguero

Ake for Dias maybe to give him a rest?

I know.
You can hum and ha about it, the only thing there is that you have two mainly left footed centre halves playing, and I know we've played two mainly right footed centre halves recently.
Ake also needs minutes, and part of my theory in the selection is that you don't really need two DMs against WBA?
We'll see at 7pm or so.

I know.
You can hum and ha about it, the only thing there is that you have two mainly left footed centre halves playing, and I know we've played two mainly right footed centre halves recently.
Ake also needs minutes, and part of my theory in the selection is that you don't really need two DMs against WBA?
We'll see at 7pm or so.

I agree they will need points parking the bus and hoping for a counter, what we have to be careful about is not losing the ball carelessly when up the field as some of our players are apt to do.

I agree they will need points parking the bus and hoping for a counter, what we have to be careful about is not losing the ball carelessly when up the field as some of our players are apt to do.
.....and working harder to recover it more quickly.....like we used to. I wonder is there are any stats on that? 🤔

.....and working harder to recover it more quickly.....like we used to. I wonder is there are any stats on that? 🤔

I agree our sharpness and crisp fast passing has been missing when we start games and we only get going after about 25 minutes, I just hope complacency does not set in tonight.

And a very happy birthday to Buzzer!
Mike Summerbee - City legend at 78
Our Club Ambassador is 78 today...

MIKE SUMMERBEE
Happy 78th Buzzer!
By David Clayton
cover-buzzer-2560x1440.jpeg
1608057470148.gif
mancity.com

Pep on the first three months of the season

“There are things that were so good and things we can improve.

“Sometimes it’s not easy because we don’t have much time to talk about it or train. We have to diagnose it.

“We have opportunities to get better. But there are many things that are good - the chances we concede so far, even games we lost, except Leeds, we concede not much - few I would say.

“That’s why we can build from here, be solid. We don’t concede much and from there we are going to grow.”Mancity - Official Club Website

XI | Ederson, Cancelo, Dias, Ake, Mendy, Rodrigo, Gundogan, De Bruyne (C), Sterling, Foden, Jesus SUBS | Steffen, Walker, Aguero, Laporte, Bernardo, Torres, Mahrez

Commentary By Neil Leigh @mancity
19:07
As you were formation wise?

As always, we'll have to wait until kick-off to find out exactly how each team will line up, but it looks like the usual 4-3-3 for City.
It looks again as if Rodrigo will be our midfield anchor with Ilkay Gundogan and Kevin De Bruyne also in the engine room.
Meanwhile Gabriel Jesus will be the striking focal point with Phil Foden and Raheem Sterling also up front.