Manchester City v Tottenham - 17th August 2019 - PL - Post match reaction | Vital Football

Manchester City v Tottenham - 17th August 2019 - PL - Post match reaction

We had plenty of chances to win the game and failed to take them.

We gave away two cheap goals. Lamella given way too much time and Eddy had lost his bearings. Then we went to sleep when they made a substitution at the corner.

For all the vaunting of VAR as being ‘definitive’ today we saw a classic example of how the strength of character and courage of the VAR official in directing the referee to review a decision is going to be crucial. This is to say nothing about how Laporte’s arm was being pulled by Skipp prior to the disallowed goal.....

I await the VAR decision in a tight game that favours us. I think I may have a long wait.

On the wasting of chances, the clearest for me were KDB's wild hack at the near post in the first half, Gundo's, and Bernardo's.

Yep. For me Gundo's was the worst - he saw the ball coming from a long way.

Bernardo was surprised the ball arrived and just failed to sort his feet in time. In Kev's case the ball just sped away but his failure to make good contact was a surprise.

When the margin is a single goal the next score is vital and we messed up

I've finally emerged from a spell in a darkened room. This one is hard to stomach, but if we had been more ruthless and kept alert on defense, we could have overcome. When we play with such fine margins, we set ourselves up for these kind of results. After the 24hr rule is over, I'll put this in my rear view mirror and move on. Until then. I'm going to wallow in self pity.

Can anyone explain why this was given as a foul against Bernardo?

He was clearly guilty of the following secret offence -

“any Manchester City player displaying an unacceptable level of skill or footballing ability which thereby embarrasses multiple opponents will be penalised at the earliest opportunity with an indirect free kick*

*Any opposing player who commits a foul against any such Manchester City player in order the end their embarrassment will not receive a caution”

Laws of Football (Premier League - special Handicapping Manchester City Provisions 2019)

In all seriousness it was utterly baffling. Rose clatters into him and the free kick is awarded to Spurs? Oliver’s stall was set out early though when he resumed to see Lamella’s manhandling of Laporte as a penalty.

I have to draw your attention to your prophecy BD from 18th April after the CL QF second leg against Spurs. Only the competition is incorrect (although there is time yet).....

You can bet your bollox that we'll have a goal ruled out for handball in the CL next season which will put us out.”

The Agenda is still out there, but common sense has gone out of the window, I just wonder if it had been Spurs denied the goal would we be arguing or just thankful for being lucky.

I think the ones that have no bias would look at that and say it is wrong, as they pointed out last night hitting the arm of the defender is ignored even though it was his arm outstretched and therefore no penalty should be awarded but a glance off the arm is penalised how is that fair.

get used to it because they won't change the rules but I should say it was not a clear and obvious error