Manchester City v Newcastle Utd - Premier League - Saturday 19th August 2023 - 20:00 GMT Preview & MDT | Vital Football

Manchester City v Newcastle Utd - Premier League - Saturday 19th August 2023 - 20:00 GMT Preview & MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
The Craic
E
ach season it becomes tougher to stay at the top, when Manchester United dominated the top of the league for many years and in its existence since 1992, 31 years ago only 6 different teams have won the 30 titles of those JoMU have won 13 in fact they won 7 in the first decade of the competition and I don't remember any suggestion that this was turning into Der Bundesliga or that it was unfair.
There is a new kid on the block Newcastle United, a big City club with tremendous supporters and now backed (not state backed of course) by the Saudi sovereign wealth fund which owns Newcastle has taken majority stakes in four of the Middle Eastern country's biggest clubs, including Cristiano good looking Boy's team Al Nassr.
The well respected and future England manager/coach Eddie Howe has the reins and is doing a pretty good job, but the paranoia within me asks are they getting the scrutiny that City have been subjected to?
On the Official Manchester City site on match day www.mancity.com, the
Matchday Centre two hours before kick-off, while our Matchday Live show will begin at 19:00 (UK). Special guests Steve Howey, Shola Ameobi and Steph Houghton on the latest Matchday Live show, will also answer viewer questions throughout the broadcast, with audience participation actively encouraged on Matchday Live. To get in touch, send a WhatsApp to: +447537186538. In addition, live audio commentary from Alistair Mann and Andy Morrison.

City Team News

Pep Guardiola only used one substitute in the Supercup game against Sevilla on Wednesday and surprisingly he put out quite a strong team, but also made some glaring omissions in a one off game against City the Champions of Europe against a team that won the Europa Cup but not good enough to compete in the final rounds of the main Competiton. What was pleasing is the fact that City scored all their penalties (well just Kyle Walkers effort a bit of a hit and miss) a rare occasion.
The omission from the squad of Joao Cancelo and Kalvin Phillips once again warming the seat of the substitute bench, that he may indeed turn into a Bertie².
Kevin De Bruyne
is out for months and we will miss him and bearing this in mind, as Skoorb quite rightly pointed out, someone has to step into the great man giant shoes.
Bernardo
did not make the trip due to an illness but has agreed to a one year extension on his current contract but with a release clause in 2024 of £43m.
The Good news is that both John Stones and Ruben Dias were both on the bench last night and will probably start on Saturday night.
Stefan Ortega is alleged to have been a subject of interest by Bayern with the player apparently agreeable to the switch, I think City would not have sold young Trafford to Burnley had there been a bid of genuine interest from the German Club, which I understand has now cooled.
Aymeric Laporte pondering on a lucrative move to Saudi Arabia, which would be preferrable than selling him to another premier Club such as Arsenal.
Rico Lewis has signed a 5 year deal with City, but pep is yet to decide if Cole Palmer will be sent out on loan while Tommy Doyle and James McAtee's futures are to be decided before the window closes.

Possible no Probable
Ederson
Walker, Dias Ake, Gvardiol
Rodri, Kovacic, Foden
Alvarez, Haaland, Grealish

Referee: Robert Jones (pictured).Referees England and Jones promoted to Select Group 1
Assistants: Ian Hussin, Adrian Holmes. Fourth official: Darren Bond. VAR: Jarred Gillett. Assistant VAR: Eddie Smart.

Next

Sheffield United V Manchester City - Premier League - 14:00 - Sunday 27th August 2023 (Sky Sports)

Last edited:
"are they getting the scrutiny that City have been subjected to"?

I think not. Their promise is being regarded as the 'waking of a football giant". Little questioning about their 'bottomless pockets' or "massivest gigantisist most biggest squad in the Premier League ". 🙄

"are they getting the scrutiny that City have been subjected to"?

I think not. Their promise is being regarded as the 'waking of a football giant". Little questioning about their 'bottomless pockets' or "massivest gigantisist most biggest squad in the Premier League ". 🙄
They can’t go over the quota which is 25 players. It just seems like they have. :giggle:

They can’t go over the quota which is 25 players. It just seems like they have. :giggle:
One if the things that grinds my gears is when there are references to "the size of the City squad". Factually inaccurate on two counts as all clubs are limited to the same maximum and Pep usually works with a smaller number than this maximum.

But mostly because it plants the idea that City are bending the rules by 'having a bigger squad'.

Newcastle will be a tough game. Has been the last couple of seasons. This will be no different.

Chelsea are still exploiting the system, Newcastle will get away with things initially because of new ownership, The premier have thrown all their eggs into one basket of prosecuting City that is their sole goal

How they do it
Chelsea transfer news: How can the Blues keep spending and stay within financial rules? - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66507341
I note this is treated with a sort of dry, off-hand, remote, antiseptic 'Accounting Rules for Dummies' approach.

The contrast between the approach describing the actions of Chelsea's American owners with the way in which the spending by City's Arabic owners is, for me, quite stark.

I personally think this is the essence of unsustainability - basically sticking it on the credit card. It does just seem to me that their lavish spending is simply not making the same waves that City spending does. Guarantee there won't be any references to "look at the cost of the Chelsea bench/midfield compared to Club X's entire squad including the catering staff' BS that we saw in our very first match against Burnley.

I note this is treated with a sort of dry, off-hand, remote, antiseptic 'Accounting Rules for Dummies' approach.

The contrast between the approach describing the actions of Chelsea's American owners with the way in which the spending by City's Arabic owners is, for me, quite stark.

I personally think this is the essence of unsustainability - basically sticking it on the credit card. It does just seem to me that their lavish spending is simply not making the same waves that City spending does. Guarantee there won't be any references to "look at the cost of the Chelsea bench/midfield compared to Club X's entire squad including the catering staff' BS that we saw in our very first match against Burnley.
personally I think it is creative and nothing wrong with it, but the powers that be that said they were going to close this loop hole could have been sorted in a couple of days, simply set a ceiling on the amount of money a club can spend in a transfer window

Pep:-

What I'm saying is that if we did it we're dead,
For Chelsea it's easier than for us. I have no criticism, they can do what they want. But we would be under scrutiny like you cannot imagine.
I wouldn't be sitting here if we spent what Chelsea have spent in two transfer windows - you [media] would kill me.
"​

Pep:-

What I'm saying is that if we did it we're dead,
For Chelsea it's easier than for us. I have no criticism, they can do what they want. But we would be under scrutiny like you cannot imagine.
I wouldn't be sitting here if we spent what Chelsea have spent in two transfer windows - you [media] would kill me.
"​
I just posted that in FFP and specubollux and Pep is spot on, it just goes to show Pep is as paranoid as us lol

🚨 TEAM NEWS 🚨

CITY XI: Ederson, Walker (C), Akanji, Dias, Gvardiol, Rodrigo, Kovacic, Foden, Grealish, Alvarez, Haaland
Subs: Ortega Moreno, Phillips, Ake, Gomez, Perrone, Bobb, Palmer, Lewis, McAtee

Will Akanji be that midfielder or Gvardiol?

Laporte has agreed to join the Saudi League, Arsenal want Cancelo, The bench looks very weak.

City missing, Bernard, KDB, Stones