Manchester City v Newcastle United Sunday 8th May 2022 - 16:30 BST - Premier League Match Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Manchester City v Newcastle United Sunday 8th May 2022 - 16:30 BST - Premier League Match Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Let's get Back on Our HorseAre we all still gutted, yet feeling shafted at the same time, but really you cannot believe we could not defend for a few minutes, of course we are but, as we have no history there is nothing more to say. Newcastle United the new upstart in town and yet to feel the brunt of the snidey weevils and lead swingers (including themselves of course) who will attempt everything to stop you joining the party and to try and alleviate the problem have added more chairs to the game of musical chairs. Eddie Howe a young manager with bag of potential and possibly a future England Manager has brought Newcastle to life with a few well chosen transfer has transformed them from potential relegation candidates to respectable mid table team. They come to the Etihad with warning all over the place that they will win the title for Liverpool™failed in the hope that City will be so gutted from their exit from the Champions League that they will implode and lose all their matches until the end of the season, whilst not saying those exact words the inference is clear enough. Shaun Goater and Steve Howey will be special guests on this weekend’s Matchday Live show, offering their thoughts before, during and after the action at the Etihad www.mancity.com, whilst Alistair Mann and Andy Morrison will take you through the match with their live audio commentary.

Pep's Preview
on whether he is hungrier now to win titles:
"No, I am always starving. I cannot spend a year just thinking about how happy I am. If we had won the CL it would be the money we spend, not how hard we work. The players don't realise now but it's [losing] a gift for us. I'd love to win the CL and be in the final but we have to be better from what happened in Madrid."

on whether they can focus more on the league now
"The focus will be exactly the same because the potential final would have been after the Premier League. The Leeds game was difficult and after this we knew it would be four finals.
"I'm not thinking about the title, I'm thinking about Newcastle, focus on the team and Eddie Howe.
"Kevin de Bruyne is available. He's good. It was tactical [to substitute him against Real Madrid)."
“We were close (to reaching the Champions League final) and could not do it.
“The players wanted to play again in the final of the Champions League.
“But for this club to compete against Real Madrid was a joy. Don't forget how well we played a week ago here. But we could not do it.
“We were good. I said after congratulations Liverpool and Madrid because they deserve to be in the final.
“Next season we will try again and if it doesn't work we will try again. This is when we are a club that is good.
“Name all the clubs in Europe, the big ones, they are there every year.
“And we are there every year now. We didn’t achieve it, yeah okay.
“Next day we will do it. Good moments we celebrate, bad moments more sad than usual.
“Madrid are in the final because they deserve it. We were not close enough, but we were there. Next season we will try, knowing it is so difficult.”

City Team News
The only doubts for this game are Kyle Walker and John Stones

If I had to guess
Ederson
Cancelo Dias Laporte Ake
Bernardo, Rodri De Bruyne
Foden Sterling Mahrez

Match Officials

images
Referee:1651846765878.jpeg
Stuart Attwell.
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Neil Davies. Fourth official: Anthony Taylor.
VAR: Jarred Gillett.
Assistant VAR: Nick Hopton.

Next
Premier League Wolves v City
Wednesday 11th May 20:15
(Sky Sports)

Last edited:
Let's get Back on Our HorseAre we all still gutted, yet feeling shafted at the same time, but really you cannot believe we could not defend for a few minutes, of course we are but, as we have no history there is nothing more to say. Newcastle United the new upstart in town and yet to feel the brunt of the snidey weevils and lead swingers (including themselves of course) who will attempt everything to stop you joining the party and to try and alleviate the problem have added more chairs to the game of musical chairs. Eddie Howe a young manager with bag of potential and possibly a future England Manager has brought Newcastle to life with a few well chosen transfer has transformed them from potential relegation candidates to respectable mid table team. They come to the Etihad with warning all over the place that they will win the title for Liverpool™failed in the hope that City will be so gutted from their exit from the Champions League that they will implode and lose all their matches until the end of the season, whilst not saying those exact words the inference is clear enough. Shaun Goater and Steve Howey will be special guests on this weekend’s Matchday Live show, offering their thoughts before, during and after the action at the Etihad www.mancity.com, whilst Alistair Mann and Andy Morrison will take you through the match with their live audio commentary.

Pep's Preview
on whether he is hungrier now to win titles:
"No, I am always starving. I cannot spend a year just thinking about how happy I am. If we had won the CL it would be the money we spend, not how hard we work. The players don't realise now but it's [losing] a gift for us. I'd love to win the CL and be in the final but we have to be better from what happened in Madrid."

on whether they can focus more on the league now
"The focus will be exactly the same because the potential final would have been after the Premier League. The Leeds game was difficult and after this we knew it would be four finals.
"I'm not thinking about the title, I'm thinking about Newcastle, focus on the team and Eddie Howe.
"Kevin de Bruyne is available. He's good. It was tactical [to substitute him against Real Madrid)."
“We were close (to reaching the Champions League final) and could not do it.
“The players wanted to play again in the final of the Champions League.
“But for this club to compete against Real Madrid was a joy. Don't forget how well we played a week ago here. But we could not do it.
“We were good. I said after congratulations Liverpool and Madrid because they deserve to be in the final.
“Next season we will try again and if it doesn't work we will try again. This is when we are a club that is good.
“Name all the clubs in Europe, the big ones, they are there every year.
“And we are there every year now. We didn’t achieve it, yeah okay.
“Next day we will do it. Good moments we celebrate, bad moments more sad than usual.
“Madrid are in the final because they deserve it. We were not close enough, but we were there. Next season we will try, knowing it is so difficult.”

City Team News
The only doubts for this game are Kyle Walker and John Stones

If I had to guess
Ederson
Cancelo Dias Laporte Ake
Bernardo, Rodri De Bruyne
Foden Sterling Mahrez

Match Officials

images
Referee:View attachment 57436
Stuart Attwell.
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Neil Davies. Fourth official: Anthony Taylor.
VAR: Jarred Gillett.
Assistant VAR: Nick Hopton.

Next
Premier League Wolves v City
Wednesday 11th May 20:15
(Sky Sports)
:tophat: Time to saddle up. Wise words from Pep. I especially love the third sentence in his first quotes. He absolutely gets it and is on the same page as we are - in that sentence I also get the feeling he knows there is a dark agenda to find ways to undermine the work at MCFC but is not going to buckle and give up :bow::clap:

I am sure that he will have gotten the player’s heads in the right place - the only way to get that defeat out o the system is to win the next match. In many ways it may be better that it comes so soon rather than after a whole week which would have given the player’s even more time to stew on the events (including time keeping) of last Wednesday.

Onwards and upwards fellow Blues :thumbup:

CTID

Woke up this morning to see Hearts get clobbered 4-1 by Celtic. Then I turned on the pre match show to see a picture of Pep with all of our exits from the CL beside it. I'm taking today off.

Woke up this morning to see Hearts get clobbered 4-1 by Celtic. Then I turned on the pre match show to see a picture of Pep with all of our exits from the CL beside it. I'm taking today off.
Don’t blame you. It is utter BS. This is a narrative they just love to push - whilst ignoring all the positives he has added to football whenever he has coached. It’s like he’s the nerd in the class and they just can’t wait for him to fail. :punch:

We must cash in with the Dippers dropping 2 points at home. Think Zinko will stay at LB to give us more midfield options.

We have family arriving today and may be having dinner before a very important family gathering tomorrow so I may not be present on the thread later. I will be suitably attired and donning my usual talisman’s and will be with you in spirit……

Just in case I forget I will park this here……….perhaps someone can re-post it in the build up to the game if I don’t manage to get to do so…. ⬇️

CONE ON CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave that to me.

Nedum Onuoha on Newcastle 🗣
The former City defender says Eddie Howe has made a huge impact at the Magpies since being appointed manager in November.
"Eddie Howe has brought a sense of belief among the Newcastle players.
"They understand each other more as people so it’s not really a case of going to work anymore, they’re enjoying taking on those challenges together. I think they needed that at Newcastle.
"The ownership’s changed, the player group has changed a bit and the expectation has changed. There’s a manager there who is trying to bring everyone on board, try and make it feel more like a family situation and you’re hearing that from lots of people on and off the pitch over there.
"When you have that sort of environment it does become easier to play and then those players can show their qualities."

"A very, very strong team"
Matchday Live special guest Steve Howey is delighted with the side that Pep Guardiola has opted for.
"It’s a very, very strong team. If you’re a Newcastle player and you’re looking at that team, you’re thinking the same.
"City have to bounce back, it was a bitter pill to swallow (against Real Madrid). But we have to dust that off and get back to your bread and butter.
"If that starting XI apply themselves properly then it should be a comfortable win."