Manchester City v Newcastle United - Premier League - Saturday 26th December 2020 KO 20:00 GMT -Premier League Match Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Manchester City v Newcastle United - Premier League - Saturday 26th December 2020 KO 20:00 GMT -Premier League Match Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks by Night
What on earth were BT Sport and the Premier League thinking about when they agreed to schedule this for evening viewing on Boxing Day. I expect this game might break viewing records for a football match and it is not the highest number of viewers bracket (it would not be in any case as it is BTSport). Newcastle who nearly joined the elite Club to have a mega-rich owner, but seem to have shot themselves in the foot, but that is another story for a thread in this site which has been well documented. Steve Bruce will bring the bus if not two and hope that they can sucker punch City and it won't be the first time that the North East side will have done a Dick Turpin on City, lets hope the long arm of the Law comes out on top this time. City having thumped Arsenals second string and youth players into submission will want to transfer that re-discovery of scoring goals into the Boxing day match and as we all know that is down to just having one defensive midfielder out there instead of two.

City Team News,
Walker was back and on the bench last night, Sergio got a few minutes into his legs, Zinchenko got a start so all is good, with the only doubt being Garcia, who we understand will sign a contract with Barcelona in January but not move until the Summer, I hope the grass is not greener for him like it was for Sané

Beat The Pep
Although Mahrez was named as Sky's man of the match for me he was too wasteful in front of goal, but Pep likes him and he did have that edge of luck from his free kick which was a butterfingers moment for the young Arsenal Goalkeeper, but I do expect only one Defensive midfielder.
Ederson
Walker Stones Dias Cancelo
Rodri, De Bruyne, Sterling, Mahrez Torres
Jesus

Match Officials
Referee:
Andre Marriner. Assistants: Scott Ledger, Richard West. Fourth official: Andy Madley. VAR: Lee Mason. Assistant VAR: Matthew Wilkes.
Next
Monday 28th December 2020 - ko - 20:00 GMT
Everton v Manchester City

Last edited:
Bus parking will be the order of the day by Steve Bruce. Look for a set piece or capitalise on a quick turnover in midfield. I hope we continue to play the incisive passes through the midfield shield rather than the endless, aimless wandering back and forth across the pitch just inside the Newcastle half......

The scheduling is no surprise. In previous seasons we have found ourselves playing matches at this time of year on the south coast or in London in the evening on New Year’s Day 🙄

Shaun Goater and Paul Dickov are the very special guests on tonight's live Boxing Day We're Not Really Here matchday show and they'll join presenters Kyle Walker and Natalie Paweleck in the studio at the Etihad Stadium to share thoughts on this game, a well as stories from the past.

The Goat and Paul are as entertaining a partnership off the field as they were on it, so tonight's show comes highly recommended.

The pre-match chat gets under way at 19:00 (UK), with brief analysis at half-time and we'll have 30-minutes of post-match reaction five minutes after the final whistle.

And you can watch it all right here at the top of this page!

Mancity - Official Club Website

Squad update 📋
We'll bring you today's teams at 19.00 (UK), but here is what we already know:

🔹 The Club confirmed yesterday that both Kyle Walker and Gabriel Jesus, along with two members of staff, had tested positive for COVID-19.

🔹 In accordance with government health guidance, they are now isolating and everyone at the Club wishes Gabriel, Kyle and our two staff members the speediest of recoveries.

Pep's pre-match thoughts...👇
"We are still far away from the top of the league even though we have one less game that we have to win. We know what we have to do.

"If we want to be up there we have to start winning games.

"We are in December, with a lot of games still to be played."

Ederson
Cancelo Stones Dias Aké
Gündogan Rodri Bernardo De Bruyne (c) Sterling Torres
Substitutes
Agüero Zinchenko Steffen Laporte Mendy Fernandinho Mahrez Foden Palmer

Goater - form is the Christmas key
Shaun Goater: "The one thing you want as a player is form around Christmas time, because it’s game after game. They need good recovery and then go again.

"Raheem Sterling, with the form he is in, will be looking forward to today’s game. Those who are not starting will definitely get minutes to play."

'Torres always has an impact'
Paul Dickov: "I’m surprised more people are not talking about him. I loved the fact that he wanted the number 21 shirt when he arrived, which shows confidence and that bit of arrogance.

"He’s come in and every time he plays he has an impact on the game."

'I'm always excited to see Torres play'
Shaun Goater: "I’m really excited to see Torres starting up the middle, with his pace and his finishing ability, especially with Sterling up there with him. I’m always excited to see Torres play.