Manchester City v Burnley - Premier League - 19:30 GMT Wednesday 31st january 2024 - Preview & MDT | Vital Football

Manchester City v Burnley - Premier League - 19:30 GMT Wednesday 31st january 2024 - Preview & MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
The Game
There will be mixed emotions from the City fans in this game against Vinnie's Burnley, whilst they do not want to see his team struggle in the Premier, they also want City to get closer to Liverpool ™failed at the top and to try and stop them creating a gap.
Burnley are not a bad team and they have been unlucky in a number of games, but City's problem here will be one of complacency and a clean sheet is one of the priorities where City have let in some goals through careless defending. whilst we have not been banging them in for fun at the other end, it is down to the players to get some sort of football that scares the crap out of the opponents.
It is a welcome sight to see the return of KDB if only in cameo roles and we may see the return of Ederson and Kevin to the starting line-up, while John Stones and Erling Haaland may appear in cameo roles. I also notice that Mateo Kovacic has been putting in some good shift recently and this is really good news.
The Manchester City Matchday Live show, offering their expert insight before, during and after the action. (www.mancity.com) they will have special guests who will also answer viewer questions throughout the broadcast, with audience participation actively encouraged on Matchday Live. To get in touch, send a WhatsApp to: +07537186538.
During the game you can also listen to live audio commentary from Alistair Mann.

City Team News
Kalvin Phillips has gone out on loan to West Ham but there is no option to buy and Pep Guardiola has left the door open for Kalvin to return. Haaland and Stones Pep Guardiola also said in his press conference that “Akanji is out and John has come back. He will be in contention for team selection but he is back with us.” Guardiola added that Ederson had recovered from his knock against Newcastle. He added about Ederson’s condition: “He’s okay now.” Jack Grealish as we saw against Spurs was in the squad after his illness.

Best Guess
Ederson
Walker Stones Dias Gvardiol
Rodri, De Bruyne Kovacic
Bernardo Haaland Grealish
Match Officials
Referee:
Sam BarrottSamuel Barrott - The English Football League
Assistants: Simon Bennett, Dan Robathan
Fourth official: Darren England
VAR: Rob Jones
Assistant VAR: Nick Hopton

Next
Brentford V City Premier League - Monday 5th February 2024 - 20:00 GMT (Sky Sports)

Last edited:
We have to win this, can't see Flash starting in front of both Bob and Jeremy. I predict a hard fought 3-1.
I considered Bobb, but did not want to over use him at this stage and I think Pep had a plane for him in the FA Cup and will use him in that competition and in the League use him in cameo roles as sub.

Grealish is more experienced and a tricky player plus he will track back as he has done on occasion Doku is still a novice not a good defender and has lost the ball on occasion but is an excellent impact player and will get better under Pep and I think next season we will see a vast improvement.
However I am not the one getting £350K a week (I wish)

I considered Bobb, but did not want to over use him at this stage and I think Pep had a plane for him in the FA Cup and will use him in that competition and in the League use him in cameo roles as sub.

Grealish is more experienced and a tricky player plus he will track back as he has done on occasion Doku is still a novice not a good defender and has lost the ball on occasion but is an excellent impact player and will get better under Pep and I think next season we will see a vast improvement.
However I am not the one getting £350K a week (I wish)
Flash gives us plenty when controlling the game is important, and will track the FB, if they move forward, giving extra support to our LB. Sadly Jeremy does not do much tracking back, but this will change, or he will not get picked. He does privide something out of nothing on occassions and is exiting to watch.
Flash for me has a limited future span at our club, can only really play on the wing and provides few goals or assists. With our Viking and Red Kev back it is hard to see how he deserves a game with all the other options that we have for Jack's berth in a front three formation.

Jezza will need to learn fast - not making recovery runs or tracking your opponent to attend to defensive duties was a failing of Leroy Sané. I agree that he will be deployed mostly as an impact player depending on the circumstances of the game. JG has made some crucial defensive interventions this season which Pep really appreciates and he does provide Pep with that greater level of control Which he so values.

It is actually a hued tribute to Pep In how he blends these players into the team whilst keeping everyone on their toes, happy and ready to deliver when they get their chance.

Flash gives us plenty when controlling the game is important, and will track the FB, if they move forward, giving extra support to our LB. Sadly Jeremy does not do much tracking back, but this will change, or he will not get picked. He does privide something out of nothing on occassions and is exiting to watch.
Flash for me has a limited future span at our club, can only really play on the wing and provides few goals or assists. With our Viking and Red Kev back it is hard to see how he deserves a game with all the other options that we have for Jack's berth in a front three formation.
I agree about Flash he needs to improve or it is taxi time

Jezza will need to learn fast - not making recovery runs or tracking your opponent to attend to defensive duties was a failing of Leroy Sané. I agree that he will be deployed mostly as an impact player depending on the circumstances of the game. JG has made some crucial defensive interventions this season which Pep really appreciates and he does provide Pep with that greater level of control Which he so values.

It is actually a hued tribute to Pep In how he blends these players into the team whilst keeping everyone on their toes, happy and ready to deliver when they get their chance.
He is not strong enough yet and is easily disposed, but that burst of speed does catch out defenders and he needs to improve his all-round game and I would like to see him on the right

As a selection headache it's not a bad one to have ....

Pep: Haaland 'refreshed' after injury lay off
he will do his usual and if the lay-offs have been for any length of time they will be introduced gradually for fear of further problems with the injury they suffered earlier.

Haaland will want to start but he should be a sub and in cotton wool and maybe a classic example of being overused in his youth and now will always suffer from injury however slight