Manchester City v Borussia Mönchengladbach - UEFA Champions League - Tuesday 16th March 2021 - 20:00 GMT. Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Manchester City v Borussia Mönchengladbach - UEFA Champions League - Tuesday 16th March 2021 - 20:00 GMT. Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
I can see the light at the end of the Tunnel
Due to the Covid-19 restrictions still in force in Germany City once again travel to the Puskás Aréna - Budapest , where they played BMG in the first leg and cam away with a two away goals lead, this time in the 2nd leg, City will be the Home team.
City have a break from the Premier League until 3rd April due to City being involved in the FA Cup this weekend against Everton and then it is the international break.
In the meantime City have to try and get through to the next round of the Champions League, but these teams do not get into the Champions League without having some class about them, although that may change if Uefa introduce the old boys network scheme of letting clubs who have a past history in the competition into the draw, but that is a whole new thread on that subject.
At Fulham, City employed a rare front two with Sergio Aguero and Gabriel Jesus, who have not started together for some time and probably the only person to get it spot on in 'Beat the Pep', was Pep.
The special guests for Tuesday’s We’re Not Really Here (#WNRH) live show will be Nedum Onuoha and Kevin Horlock.
The duo will join Cel Spellman in the studio back at the Etihad Stadium from 19:00 (UK), to discuss how they see the game unfolding, before a quick half-time debrief and 30-minute full-time analysis. Time permitting, we will also hear the post-match thoughts of both a player and Pep Guardiola, Fan input is always welcomed on We’re Not Really Here, so if you want to get involved, make sure to tweet using #WNRH.

City Team News - Everyone is OK

Beat the Pep
Ederson
Walker, Stones Laporte, Zinchenko
Fernandinho, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Foden, Bernardo
Aguero

Match Officials
Referee Sergei Karasev (RUS)
Assistant referees Igor Demeshko (RUS)
Maksim Gavrilin (RUS)
Video Assistant Referee Vitali Meshkov (RUS)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee Sergei Ivanov (RUS)
Fourth official Aleksei Kulbakov (BLR)

Next

FA Cup Everton v Manchester City 5.30pm Saturday 20th March 2021 BT Sport.

Last edited:
I like your team Buzz, no Sterling, and I think something is going on with him, maybe his new agent is in his ear about other clubs. If we play our normal game, and score first we should be able to manage our way forward. I have no worries about this very important game for our Club and the owner. 2-0 again.

I like your team Buzz, no Sterling, and I think something is going on with him, maybe his new agent is in his ear about other clubs. If we play our normal game, and score first we should be able to manage our way forward. I have no worries about this very important game for our Club and the owner. 2-0 again.

Sterling just having a dip in his game, happens to the best of them except Colin Bell, but probably too much football over a short period of time, tiredness in his legs and that showed in some average Defenders getting the best of him.

I agree don't play for a draw, that is something for other Clubs, but pep always plays to win, he is a serial winner, It does not always work that way, but 9 times out 10 it does.

Sterling just having a dip in his game, happens to the best of them except Colin Bell, but probably too much football over a short period of time, tiredness in his legs and that showed in some average Defenders getting the best of him.

I agree don't play for a draw, that is something for other Clubs, but pep always plays to win, he is a serial winner, It does not always work that way, but 9 times out 10 it does.
I think Rajeev is fine, we'll need him fresh for the run in.

Ederson, Walker, Dias, Stones, Cancelo, Rodrigo, Gundogan, De Bruyne (c), Bernardo, Foden, Mahrez

Subs: Steffen, Carson, Ake, Sterling, Jesus, Aguero, Zinchenko, Laporte, Torres, Mendy, Fernandinho, Garcia

Zinchenko's praise for Gladbach
Oleksandr Zinchenko said he and his City colleagues were full of admiration for the quality of our Bundesliga opponents.
“At this stage, all teams are quite strong and have a lot of quality players. Especially if we are talking about Borussia Monchengladbach.
“They organise well defensively. It is not easy to create chances against these kinds of teams. It is never easy at this stage.
“And, of course, at this stage of the Champions League it is always a tough game. That’s why we have to organise well and do our best.”
Mancity - Official Club Website

Nedum Onuoha on our possible formation:

"I think he last time I saw Phil Foden as the false nine was against Liverpool so I expect him to adopt the position but these guys are so intelligent that they just need to understand the role.

"Pep teaches people how he wants them to play, so yes it might be Foden but it might be Bernardo or Mahrez which is great credit to them."

Talking tactics
Pep Guardiola has used a number of different formations during his time in charge, but it looks like we can expect his favoured 4-3-3 in Budapest this evening.

The back four is as you'd expect, with Cancelo moving over to left-back as Walker returns on the opposite side.

Skipper Kevin De Bruyne could join Ilkay Gundogan and Rodrigo in midfield, with the Spaniard sitting deepest and allowing his colleagues to thrive further forward.

That would see Bernardo Silva, Phil Foden and Riyad Mahrez form the attacking trident though the beauty of Pep's multi talented and flexible squad is that all the players are comfortable switching position!

Pep - It's only half-time
Pep Guardiola has warned that there is still a tough 90 minutes to navigate tonight in Budapest:

"We arrive here all together and we’ll do a good game today. Every manager chooses the team he hopes to win.

"Champions League is two games, two legs. We got a good result in he first one but it’s still 90 minutes.

"I know the German teams perfectly, the physicality, the speed, the space they have up front and we have to do a good 90 minutes to try to win the game.

"The target is to win the game and after we will see what happens."

Kevin Horlock on Gladbach:

"Thuram comes in, he’s a goal threat. They’re not in great form so whether they’ve shuffled round for a formula.

"They probably see this as a game where they can let the shackles off, it's a break from the league so will they play with freedom?

"Do they come out and play City like Fulham did but lose 3-0 or sit in like they did last time, which is tiring?"