Manchester City-Real Madrid Champions League Last 16 2 Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Manchester City-Real Madrid Champions League Last 16 2 Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Manchester City 2 Real Madrid 1
FT Stats
Possession
City 54.9% Madrid 45.1% (UEFA site has City 55% Madrid 45%)
Corners
City 7 Madrid 3
Offsides
City 1 Madrid 4
Fouls
City 8 Madrid 3
Cards
City 0 Madrid 1 Y
On Target
City 7 Madrid 4 (UEFA site City 9 Madrid 4)
Woodwork
City 1 Madrid 0
Off Target
City 6 Madrid 2 (UEFA site has 21 City shots - 12 off target, Madrid 9 - 5 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from UEFA and City Official Site match day threads.

Links

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2027131--man-city-vs-real-madrid

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2019/manchester-city-v-real-madrid

22:01
'Pep got it spot on'
Man City 2-1 Real Madrid (Agg: 4-2)

Dion Dublin
Former Aston Villa & Man Utd striker on BBC Radio 5 Live

If I didn't know this game was Manchester City against Real Madrid I would never have said this was a Real Madrid side.

It was not good enough from Real on this stage. They were very sloppy. Man City tonight were so professional and the way Pep set his side up tonight was spot on.

City were great tonight, they deserved the win.

Man. City vs Real Madrid
(MUEN Player ratings)

City: Ederson 7, Walker 8, Fernandinho 7, Laporte 7, Cancelo 7, Rodrigo 7, Gundogan 7, De Bruyne 7, Foden 7, Sterling 7, Jesus 8.

Substitutes
David Silva n/a, Bernardo 6, Mahrez, Otamendi n/a, Stones, Zinchenko Palmer, Bernabe Bravo, Garcia, Doyle, Harwood-Bellis,

22:07
'We were brilliant'

Manchester City's Raheem Sterling, speaking to BT Sport: "Energy, passion. It is a competition we want to do well in. If we play our football and run our socks off then the result will come.

"We know how good they are, we know how good we are and the difference was who would run the most and I thought we were brilliant today.

"We wanted to be right on them and from our pressing we got two goals. A great achievement (to score 100 goals for the club), hopefully plenty more to follow."

22:09
'No other side would play against Real like that'

Former Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I don't think anyone plays against Real Madrid the way City have done over those two legs.

"Man City said we're just as good as you and they just pressed at every opportunity.

"I dont think Real Madrid could deal with that, which was the strangest part for me because you expect them to have the quality to handle that."

Opta stats
  • Manchester City's victory marks the first time an English side have won both legs in a Champions League knockout tie against Spanish opposition since 2008/09, when Liverpool won 5-0 on aggregate against Real Madrid.
  • Real Madrid have been eliminated before the quarter-finals in consecutive Champions League campaigns for the first time since 2009/10 - they had reached at least the semi-finals in each of the eight seasons between 2010/11 and 2017/18.
  • Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is the third individual to eliminate Real Madrid in the knockout stages of the Champions League on more than one occasion, along with Marcello Lippi (1995/96, 2002/03) and Ottmar Hitzfeld (2000/01, 2006/07).
  • Zinedine Zidane was eliminated from a Champions League knockout tie for the first time as Real Madrid manager, having progressed from each of the previous 12.
  • In their 76th Champions League match, Manchester City scored their 150th and conceded their 100th goal in the competition - the fastest to both figures for any English side in the competition.

22:13
'Pressing is one of my powers'

Manchester City's Gabriel Jesus, speaking to BT Sport: "Like the last game we can run a lot, we played good with the ball and scored the goals. We beat a top team, the best club in this competition so for us it is massive.

"It is about belief, believe in their mistakes. We are human and can mistakes so I believe always and I press, press a lot. It is one of my powers. I was happy to score.

"I work to be a great striker, I work every day hard to be like Ronaldo (of Brazil) was. His quality is different from me but I have to work to be a great striker.

"Real Madrid are such a good team, they have a lot of players. They can beat us which is why we came to the pitch to work hard again.

"We have to keep working and stay strong for the next game."

22:16
'Jesus work rate phenomenal'

Former Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live: "The standout Real Madrid performance was Karim Benzema. The rest were lightyears away from where they should be for a game of this magnitude."

On Gabriel Jesus: "For me he was tremendous. His work rate was phenomenal. That's something you see all the time [from Jesus] but he has started adding assists and goals now too.

"Everything is coming together for him at the right time, with Sergio Aguero's injury, and if he keeps going he will be ready to replace [Aguero]."

'How did Real not know what City would do?'
cadeb853-1611-4b24-8d49-5dae3f3bb11e.jpg

Dion Dublin
Former Aston Villa & Man Utd striker on BBC Radio 5 Live
I don't know how Real didn't know what City were going to do.
They always do it, but Real played so slowly and got caught out.
They can get away with it in their own league but City and Liverpool are the best at that high press.
Article Reactions