Manchester City - Newcastle United - Premier League - Post Match Thread Stats & Reaction | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City - Newcastle United - Premier League - Post Match Thread Stats & Reaction

EDDIE HOWE REACTION​

"I don't know what to say. Playing Manchester City is difficult at any time. The football gods were against us with the two goals.
"We can't feel sorry for ourselves - it just feels the luck hasn't gone our way this season in the big moments."

“We tried our very best to force them into mistakes, but they didn’t. They were very good. Conceding the two goals that we did didn’t help our cause.

“It was an uphill battle. We covered a lot of ground, but when we had our moments our last pass was lacking.

“The difference is their technical quality and their players who can get out of tight situations – it’s at the highest level. We’re trying to get to their level.

“We’ve got 10 massive games left and are only a few points below seventh place [in the Premier League], so we’re looking to end the season on a high.”

'The game was really good'​

FT: Man City 2-0 Newcastle
74d215d1-1b6a-4091-8523-c65e2179b1e8.jpg

Manchester City
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola to BBC Match of the Day: "It sounds really good. I know we play to win the finals, but to win it, you have to win the earlier rounds. We won four Carabao Cup finals in a row and now we're in six FA Cup semi-finals in a row. To run and play the way they did is incredible, congratulations to the team, no one has done that before.
"We played really well, we were so sfae with the ball. Mateo, Rodri and Bernardo kept the ball so well. The game was really good.
"You see us when we come back every three days, three days, three days, three days, we need Kevin, Jack and Erling to come back in the best possible conditions."

Deflected Silva strikes send Man City into FA Cup semis​

Manchester City became the first team in history to reach six consecutive FA Cup semi-finals, with a routine 2-0 win over Newcastle at the Etihad Stadium booking them another trip to Wembley.
Eddie Howe's side had knocked City out of the Carabao Cup earlier this season but their ambitions of a double success over the FA Cup holders was dealt a blow after just 13 minutes, when Bernardo Silva dribbled into the Newcastle box and then saw his shot loop in off Dan Burn.
Another deflected strike from Silva, this time off Sven Botman, put City out of reach just after the half-hour - although Alexander Isak spurned a big opportunity to haul Newcastle back into the tie before the break.
City continued to dominate in the second half and although a quadruple change belatedly added energy to Newcastle's play, the result was never in doubt.

Sky Sports
Player ratings

Player ratings:​

Man City: Ortega (7), Walker (7), Dias (7), Akanji (7), Gvardiol (7), Rodri (7), Silva (8), Kovacic (7), Doku (7), Foden (8), Haaland (6).

Subs: Bobb (6), Alvarez (N/A)

Newcastle: Dubravka (6), Murphy (6), Schar (6), Botman (5), Lascelles (5), Burn (5), Guimaraes (6), Longstaff (5), Willock (5), Isak (5), Gordon (6).

Subs: Hall (6), Almiron (6), Anderson (6), Miley (6), Krafth (6)

Player of the Match: Phil Foden (Man City)

There were several posts in the match day thread that I agreed with.

City were in control for the vast majority of the game, and I also thought Kovacic was our best player on the night, and that, like Skoorb, he was Gundo like in his recycling of possession to keep the engine ticking over.

Newcastle were disappointing, although Ortega made one excellent save at 2-0.
At times our passing did get a little sloppy, but the pass of the night for me was the left foot inside the full back over distance from Akanji to play in Doku.

There was one superb move playing out from the back under pressure that was only 'spoiled' by Haaland's left foot shot wide of the post in the second half - it deserved a goal.

A comfortable night really in all respects, and we can sit back now and see how the other two ties shape up. My sister hopes United beat Liverpool, but it's a win-win, no matter what happens, isn't it?

Took a while to find a full replay. Thought we played really well all over the park. Liked Jeremy given licence to come inside, hope we get Coventry next up.