Manchester City - Newcastle United - Premier League - Post Match Thread Stats & Reaction | Vital Football

Manchester City - Newcastle United - Premier League - Post Match Thread Stats & Reaction

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Manchester City 2 Newcastle United 0
HT:- 2-0
City Goals - Bernardo 13' 31'
City Assists - Rodri 13' Dias 31'

FT Stats
Possession

City 72.4% United 27.6%
Corners
City 11 United 2
Offsides
City 3 United 4
Fouls
City 7 United 16
Cards
City 0 Y United 3 Y
Shots
City 16 United 2 (Sky Sports stat)
On Target
City 5 United 1
Woodwork
City 0 United 0
Off Target
City 5 United 1

Attendance: 52,126

Last edited:
Ortega Moreno,
Walker (C), Akanji, Dias, Gvardiol,
Rodrigo, Kovacic, Bernardo,
Foden, Doku, Haaland

SUBS | Carson, Stones, Ake, Grealish, Alvarez, Gomez, Nunes, Bobb, Lewis

GOAL - Man City 2-0 Newcastle​

Bernardo Silva (31 mins)
It's very similar to the opening goal, this, as Bernardo Silva drifts towards the penalty area on the right-hand side and fires towards goal.
It's towards the far post and Sven Botman actually heads it down into his own net.
That may well go down as an own goal, actually.
It's a muted celebration from Silva, he knows he's got pretty lucky with both of those goals.

DICKOV ON MATCHDAY LIVE: DOKU THE DESTROYER​

“It was entertaining, we wondered before kick-off how Newcastle would set up and they went for a back five and I’m amazed how high they are playing and how much space there is and I’m not sure whose decision it was to put Lascelles on Doku because he’s destroying him every time he gets onto the ball, but overall a dominant performance, could’ve scored more goals, two deflected goals but if you don’t shoot you don’t score.”

'Foden is in such a great place at the moment'​

Man City 2-0 Newcastle
43855bbf-cc0b-4231-9991-4d6613944404.jpg

Danny Murphy
Former England midfielder on BBC One
I'm going to name Phil Foden as Man of the Match, he's done things in this match that make you go wow. Everything about him has just been a joy to watch. I just love watching him play, he's in such a great place at the moment.

NEW
Posted at 19:2519:25

Post update​

FT: Man City 2-0 Newcastle
A dominant performance from Manchester City and you just feel they barely really got out of third gear here. Bernardo Silva's two deflected goals sealed the deal for the home side.
Another trip to Wembley on the cards for Pep Guardiola's side.
For Newcastle, it's a disappointing night as it means their hopes of winning any silverware this season are over.

Man City 2-0 Newcastle​

FULL TIME! There was an ugly lunge from Almiron which was rightly met by a yellow card in the closing stages.
Thankfully no damage was done to Foden.
And that will do. Manchester City march on. Their dreams of retaining their FA Cup trophy is still alive.
Bernardo Silva's two deflected goals have settled this.

Whisper it... but the double treble is on for Man City​

Sky Sports' Peter Smith:
"Man City will come up against far tougher opposition in the final months of this season across the FA Cup, Premier League and Champions League - but that double treble is most definitely a possibility.
"History would suggest it is next to impossible to repeat a feat that has only ever been done twice before by an English side but City are favourites in each of those competitions, despite a mouth-watering and challenging draw against Real Madrid in the Champions League.
lcimg-f3aa9009-9493-417b-b762-683f6fcc3d61.jpeg

"Their next outing at the Etihad against Arsenal after the international break will be a decisive one in the Premier League title race.
"When City can make five changes, have Kevin De Bruyne sat in the stands and cruise into the FA Cup semi-finals without getting out of second gear, you get an appreciation of just how good they are - and how deep their quality runs. They are going to take some stopping on all three fronts."

'You have to take half chances against City'​

55b24406-9df6-4959-aeab-264bee839f69.jpg

Alan Shearer
Former England and Newcastle striker on BBC One
City are 38 games unbeaten here. When you are the opposing team coming here, you have to take. Isak had chances in both halves, nothing. Dan Burn gave up a chance to shoot. You have to take those half chances to get any chance of a result.

A dominant performance from Manchester City and you just feel they barely really got out of third gear here. Bernardo Silva's two deflected goals sealed the deal for the home side.
Another trip to Wembley on the cards for Pep Guardiola's side.
For Newcastle, it's a disappointing night as it means their hopes of winning any silverware this season are over.

'Howe will be Newcastle's manager next season'​

55b24406-9df6-4959-aeab-264bee839f69.jpg

Alan Shearer
Former England and Newcastle striker on BBC One
This season has been tough for Newcastle, but there have been mitigating circumstances. the injuries, especially to Nick Pope and Joelinton. They miss both of those a lot.
Eddie Howe still has plenty of credit in the bank. Whatever happens this season, whether they finish mid-table or qualify for Europe, Eddie Howe will be Newcastle's manager next season.

Manchester Evening New
Player ratings

Ortega 7,
Walker (C) 7, Akanji 8, Dias 7, Gvardiol 7,
Rodri 7, Kovacic 8, Bernardo 8,
Foden 7, Doku* 7, Haaland** 6

SUBS | Alvarez**, Bobb*,

A tad disappointed that Haaland only given 6 - 42 touches 5 efforts at goal, but even those stats don't tell the shift he put in.

Last edited:

'I feel like I'm getting better and better'​

74d215d1-1b6a-4091-8523-c65e2179b1e8.jpg

Manchester City
Manchester City winger Jeremy Doku speaking to BBC One: "It felt good, I'm happy with the performance of my team, the performance of myself. I feel like I'm getting better and better. We scored important goals, we defended well, attacked well, very happy.
"We were in control but you never know with the counter attacks, they have some fast players and they want to run in behind. The [defenders] did well today."

74d215d1-1b6a-4091-8523-c65e2179b1e8.jpg

Manchester City
Manchester midfielder Phil Foden, speaking to BBC Match of the Day: “I thought we controlled the game really well. We had a lot of the ball and tried to find the right moment to attack, and I think we did that really well.
“We were always talking about [winning more trophies]. The hunger’s still there. We’ll keep going.
“It’s one of the best squads I’ve ever seen. At this stage of the season we’re going to need everyone.”
On his own form: “I’m really happy with it. I’m jut playing with a smile on my face and hopefully I’ll continue to do that.”