Manchester City FC 1894 1-2 FC Basel 1893 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City FC 1894 1-2 FC Basel 1893 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate Thread

I too had a glass of wine but in leaving the room to get it I found that on my return Basel had scored their equaliser :060:

So I have to take responsibility for my part in conceding that goal - I was absent from my post :004:

Bluedub - 8/3/2018 08:56

That commentator was awful, I can only assume that he doesn't normally cover football as he hadn't a clue what he was talking about, anyone know who he is?

Not fussed at all about last night, the most disappointing thing for me was Jesus picking up a needless yellow card.

I can picture him now, but I don't know his name probably does the darts or the rollers skates

Buzz Lightyear - 8/3/2018 14:19

That commentator was awful, I can only assume that he doesn't normally cover football as he hadn't a clue what he was talking about, anyone know who he is?

Not fussed at all about last night, the most disappointing thing for me was Jesus picking up a needless yellow card.

I can picture him now, but I don't know his name probably does the darts or the rollers skates

Found him Paul Dempsey, yep boxing is his normal seat

Buzz Lightyear - 8/3/2018 14:25

Buzz Lightyear - 8/3/2018 14:19

Found him Paul Dempsey, yep boxing is his normal seat

Cheers Buzz.

Rising - 8/3/2018 10:02

You should be hung up by your ....erm.. ankles and flogged.

I know. A momentary lapse of concentration and look what happens. Will write out 100 times "I must NOT leave the room until the halftime whistle is blown" :004:

You can leave, but you have to take off your lucky shirt and place it on your chair. You can of course put it back on if Mrs S insists.

Lack of pre-planning is the problem here.
I think some ground rules are required..
All food and drink MUST be within reaching distance at the start of the game.
Pee only at half time. (I am exempt from this dictat on account of my gender).
:026:

Rising - 8/3/2018 20:03

Understood :026: It was indeed a lack of planning and premature hubris as, having scored early. I clearly thought we would move on to better things. :014: Foolish I know :004:

(Removal of the lucky shirt* will not be an issue as Mrs S is rarely ever present during a game)

*New lucky shirt to be commissioned as my most recent Apollo 13 "Failure is Not an Option" tee shirt had clearly worn itself out in securing the wins over Arsenal x 2 & Chelsea. I will audition a number of suitable candidates prior to the Stoke fixture :048:

Skoorb - 8/3/2018 21:00

Rising - 8/3/2018 20:03

Understood :026: It was indeed a lack of planning and premature hubris as, having scored early. I clearly thought we would move on to better things. :014: Foolish I know :004:

(Removal of the lucky shirt* will not be an issue as Mrs S is rarely ever present during a game)

*New lucky shirt to be commissioned as my most recent Apollo 13 "Failure is Not an Option" tee shirt had clearly worn itself out in securing the wins over Arsenal x 2 & Chelsea. I will audition a number of suitable candidates prior to the Stoke fixture :048:

You have taken on and bear a heavy responsibility.
:021:

Buzz Lightyear - 7/3/2018 19:34

What we found out was you cannot do wholesale changes and still expect the scintillating football we have come to expect as normal

That is one of the few missteps Pep has made, and he's done it a few times. He must have a plan, and hopefully he's learning something about individual players and how they perform.

Bluedub - 7/3/2018 21:07

BamaEngineer - 7/3/2018 22:00

The Bravo selection was the deathnail. Not blaming him totally for the goals, but he doesn't know how to play out of the back, and it shows with defense in front of him.

You won't be surprised that I disagree, he was fine with his footwork last night, in fact put him in Yaya's place and we'd probably have won the game.

Fair enough, but he doesn't read danger well , and that results in panicked decisions. There were plenty of those. We can do a hell of a lot better than him, IMO.

BamaEngineer - 9/3/2018 04:57

Buzz Lightyear - 7/3/2018 19:34

What we found out was you cannot do wholesale changes and still expect the scintillating football we have come to expect as normal

That is one of the few missteps Pep has made, and he's done it a few times. He must have a plan, and hopefully he's learning something about individual players and how they perform.

I think he will had learned a lot from his selection, maybe he is trying to get Yaya a medal if we win the Champions League, he certainly knew that we would not have lost this 5-0 and that is why he had cover on the bench for such a possibility, but the introduction of Diaz and Tosin, also told me that he was not arsed about losing, it was all about the attitude of the players out there.

BamaEngineer - 9/3/2018 05:01

The Bravo selection was the deathnail. Not blaming him totally for the goals, but he doesn't know how to play out of the back, and it shows with defense in front of him.

You won't be surprised that I disagree, he was fine with his footwork last night, in fact put him in Yaya's place and we'd probably have won the game.

Fair enough, but he doesn't read danger well , and that results in panicked decisions. There were plenty of those. We can do a hell of a lot better than him, IMO.

We must have watched a different game mate, he snuffed out at least three chances they had when they got in behind, this being one example

https://twitter.com/ManCityBrazil/status/971483565287452673?s=19

He invited the press and played through the lines really well on numerous occasions too.

The only question mark is could he have done better for their second? It's a maybe for me but it was a great strike.

They always look at the keeper when the ball flies in at the near post but, once again, that chance should not have been conceded and he ought to be pretty mad at the rather weak effort made by Laporte to block the shot......and Sané for failing to track Lang. It was hit with some venom but he wasn't helped by his players allowing the guy to get into the position to get the shot off in the first place.

Bluedub - 8/3/2018 19:58

BamaEngineer - 9/3/2018 05:01

We must have watched a different game mate, he snuffed out at least three chances they had when they got in behind, this being one example

https://twitter.com/ManCityBrazil/status/971483565287452673?s=19

He invited the press and played through the lines really well on numerous occasions too.

The only question mark is could he have done better for their second? It's a maybe for me but it was a great strike.

Don't get me wrong, BD. I'm not laying it all at his feet. There were plenty of others who seemed to not have their heads in the game. :037: :026:

I am not at all sure he was expecting that shot for the second goal. He did well just to get up for hit and like has been said before,, it was travelling.
Not sure I would put too much blame on Sane Skoorb but more on a slow defence and Pep not making a couple of changes in the second half.
Fair enough the rotation due to fixtures but at the same time he has to remember that supporters pay heaps to go and see the game and they need to be entertained. That said, they are a lot better off than the ones that turn up at the old toilet.