Manchester City - Everton - Premier League Post Match Thread - Match Stats & Reaction | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City - Everton - Premier League Post Match Thread - Match Stats & Reaction

'The changes gave us another rhythm'​

FT: Man City 2-0 Everton
74d215d1-1b6a-4091-8523-c65e2179b1e8.jpg

Manchester City
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola speaking to TNT Sports: “I told them, they didn’t believe me. They felt it. We were there and we didn’t concede a shot on target and of course they are incredibly well organised. At the end the changes in the second half gave us another rhythm and of course Erling [Haaland] is back. To have this player, when the ball is there from a corner... and the finishing was amazing.
“In the first half our body language was not good, we were always complaining. In the second half they were more positive If you want to give the best of yourself the body language has to be in the right position and finally we took a massively important three points.
“Kevin [de Bruyne] since he came back is so fresh in his mind and legs and that is why sometimes I don’t want to start him and the impact is higher than the beginning. It is important how many chances the opponents have. This is the key point and the average is not much.”

We needed to keep our cool and shape this afternoon in the face of a very negative Everton, who came to waste time as much as possible, with an overall game plan of trying to nick a goal and defend it, but they never really got close enough to our goal to do that.

The amount of time for stoppages allowed for the end of both halves mystified me, as has been noted in the MDT.
I thought Akanji looked rusty, Nunes struggled to get into the game, and Doku had a curious game - a couple of dangerous take ons and crosses that didn't find a man, with the need for a new set of studs.

We upped the tempo at the start of the second half, but probably not to the standard needed, so it was no surprise to see the initial changes made.

Two superb finishes by Haaland - the first I initially thought at the time had been saved, and the second was a combination of strength and coolness to seal the points.

We looked a different team after KDB in particular came on, and controlled the game superbly after the opening goal, and Grealish came on to see out the game to full time.

Everton were poor, and there's not a lot they can take out of this, apart from their defence made several good blocks.. That ten points deduction is one hell of a handicap.

Watched it all again on Sunday, having only listened to the City radio broadcast for the first half, then went to the cot at about 1230am. Was down at the beach for a hol. I hope Everton do go down, blatant play acting and time waisting until they went down a goal. They play according to their miserable manager, a turgid brand of cynical football. As for the ref thought he had a very poor game all in all. So happy with the points, and with the Viking, so onward and upward in a very tight title race.

I would like to think things might be different for them (attitude to time wasting, play-acting, football style- ‘turgid cynical football’™️ jk) were they not in the position they are in due to the points deduction……..but sadly i can’t bring myself to quite believe it. I am afraid this is the nature of ShMoan Dyche’s teams and his football philosophy. Even if he had the resources available to him that Pep does …..i doubt he would produce anything different.

As for the ref….key moment for me was seeing him trying to hurry Alvarez off the pitch when subbed having done sweet FA about any of the time wasting or blatant playacting from our opponents before then. Epitomises the whole issue behind this “Blue Card’ BS……their weakness and inconsistency in enforcing existing laws has undermined their credibility.

I would like to think things might be different for them (attitude to time wasting, play-acting, football style- ;turgid cynical football’™️ jk)) were they not in the position they are in due to the points deduction……..but sadly i can’t bring myself to quite believe it. I am afraid this is the nature of ShMoan Dyche’s teams and his football philosophy. Even if he had the resources available to him that Pep does …..i doubt he would produce anything different.

As for the ref….key moment for me was seeing him trying to hurry Alvarez off the pitch when subbed having done sweet FA about any of the time wasting or blatant playacting from our opponents before then. Epitomises the whole issue behind this “Blue Card’ BS……their weakness and inconsistency in enforcing existing laws has undermined their credibility.
I think we are reaching the stage with ref inconsistantcies that even the managers with decades of experience don't know what the rules are anymore with handball, obstruction, swarming the ref, holding, kicking the ball away to name a few.

Watched it all again on Sunday, having only listened to the City radio broadcast for the first half, then went to the cot at about 1230am. Was down at the beach for a hol. I hope Everton do go down, blatant play acting and time waisting until they went down a goal. They play according to their miserable manager, a turgid brand of cynical football. As for the ref thought he had a very poor game all in all. So happy with the points, and with the Viking, so onward and upward in a very tight title race.
I felt sorry for Everton when they were hit with the points deduction.
Not anymore.
I’m with you JK. I hope they go down too.

I felt sorry for Everton when they were hit with the points deduction.
Not anymore.
I’m with you JK. I hope they go down too.
I can remember when they were champs and came to Melbourne to play a friendly off season. They played bright excellent football, went to watch the game with two mates, we had a good time.

Anyone seen the comprehensive and detailed analysis of how City’s first goal should not have been allowed because since the dawn of football “Manchester City have been awarded more corners which should have been goal kicks than all other football clubs combined. All over the World. Ever.”?

Someone will major on it I am sure. Just give it time.

Anyone seen the comprehensive and detailed analysis of how City’s first goal should not have been allowed because since the dawn of football “Manchester City have been awarded more corners which should have been goal kicks than all other football clubs combined. All over the World. Ever.”?

Someone will major on it I am sure. Just give it time.
It was hard to tell, looked to me like they both got their noggins on it, so maybe a bit of luck for us, who cares, our Viking will take it.