Manchester City-Crystal Palace Premier League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Manchester City-Crystal Palace Premier League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Manchester City 4 Crystal Palace 0
FT Stats
Possession
City 72.9% Palace 27.1%
Corners
City 11 Palace 1
Offsides
City 0 Palace 0
Fouls
City 9 Palace 8
Cards
City 0 Palace 0
On Target
City 6 Palace 0
Woodwork
City 0 Palace 0
Off Target
City 7 Palace 2 (PL site has 13 City shots, Palace 2 - City OS City 2 shots Palace 1 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/59082

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/manchester-city-v-crystal-palace

21:05
Manchester City 4-0 Crystal Palace

A nice touch from former England assistant Ray Lewington who comes on to the pitch to congartulate John Stones.

Roy Hodgson follows suit in more reserved style.

According to the BBC, “City put four pass Palace”.
If that were rags or dips it would be “thrash” Palace.

21:12
'City closing the gap'
FT: Manchester City 4-0 Crystal Palace

Michael Brown
Former Leeds midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live

Two wonderful goals from Ilkay Gundogan and Raheem Sterling and two for that special talent John Stones - he is finally getting his rewards since coming back. He has a good partnership with Ruben Dias.

There was patient build up from Man City and Palace didn't really offer anything going forward, they set up at the start of the game to limit City, they did early on but ultimately Kevin de Bruyne with his 100th Premier League assist unlocked the door for City and a great day for them to close that gap at the top of the table.

21:11
'I need to contribute'

Manchester City defender John Stones on Sky Sports: "Two goals for myself, it's been a long time!

"My last one was against Manchester United, I know that. I put pressure on myself to score goals, I need to contribute and bring that to my game. Today it clicked and the hard work on the training pitch on set pieces is paying off.

"Kevin de Bruyne has done that over the years he has been here, some outrageous passes where you think 'I don't know how he's done that.' It came straight to me - it's something we can only dream of and he can do it when he wants.

"If we can keep clean sheets we don't have to come out and score four goals every week. The whole team deserve credit for how they press and stop attacks coming to us.

"It's tough when you're not playing or don't perform to your best. I went back to basics, looked at myself first and what i could improve. I had to keep fighting and keep believing in myself, I did that, kept the faith and kept grinding away.

"I'm still trying to improve."

MuEN
Player Ratings

Ederson 7, Walker 5, Stones 9, Dias 7, Zinchenko 6, Fernandinho 7, Gundogan 6, Bernardo 6, De Bruyne 7, Jesus 5, Sterling 8.

Subs: Torres(Gundogan) 6 Cancelo(KDB) 6, Foden(Bernardo) 7

21:13
Partnership sorted

John Stones and Rúben Dias have started together in 10 games for Manchester City in all competitions this season, while they’ve only conceded one goal across these 10 fixtures (W9 D1 L0).

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
  • We have now won eight of the past 11 league meetings, drawing twice and losing once.
  • Pep Guardiola has never gone three consecutive home league games without beating the same opponent in his managerial career.
  • The last seven league encounters between the sides at the Etihad Stadium have produced 30 goals.
Manchester City
  • We are on a 15-match unbeaten run in all competitions and have won their past eight fixtures.
  • We have conceded just three goals during that period.
  • We have taken 23 points from the last 27 available in the Premier League.
  • Pep Guardiola's side have kept six clean sheets in nine home fixtures so far in 2020-21.
  • We have 35 points after their opening 17 league fixtures, which is the same total as at this stage of last season.
  • We have only lost one of their past 22 home games in all competitions, winning 18 and drawing twice.
  • Kevin De Bruyne has been involved in nine goals in 11 league appearances against Palace. He has scored twice and provided seven assists.
  • The assist by De Bruyne was his 100th in all competitions for Manchester City.

21:27
'All goals are preventable'

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson to Sky Sports: "In the first half we did very well, they had a lot of the ball but they didn't create many chances.

"But we made some blatant mistakes in the second half, playing back to the keeper too much and it cost us. We could have made it harder for them and it's another defeat which is hard to take.

"All goals are preventable, that's our job. But there were some excellent strikes. Three goals conceded from corners is not like us and we surrendered the ball too much.

"I can accept losing here they are a very good team but I am disappointed to lose by such a margin.

"We miss Zaha when he's not playing but we shouldn't lose 4-0, Wilf or no Wilf."

What a difference a year makes, tomorrow a year ago Stones had a bit of a mare in this exact fixture, he barely started a game after that. A year later and he's owning the game, what a turnaround.
It's amazing that thing called confidence and Pep's belief in him has made him a far better player and now striker

21:30
"I would have loved a third"

Manchester City double goalscorer John Stones: "My last goal was a long time ago – against Man Utd at Goodison, I think I was 19. Too long. I’ve been trying to chip in with goals and put more pressure on myself to contribute.

"There have been a lot of times when I've been in great positions and it’s not come off. I've worked hard on the training pitch to try and get more goals.

"I would have loved a third."

What has changed for you? "I wouldn't say it's confidence. It's looking at what I can affect and improve on. It's down to me to look at myself. I went away and worked hard every day on the training pitch, in the gym, making sure I'm ready to be called on. Looking at every detail, recovery or whatever is, I dedicated everything to get back into the team and to show I'm fighting for the shirt, my team-mates and the club.

"Ruben Dias has been great, he deserves a lot of credit since he's come in and he's adapted well to the Premier League. It's been great for me to play alongside him, he's so easy to get on with on and off the pitch. It's just clicked. When it happens like that you enjoy your football and I'm derfinitely enjoying it with him.

"We know our capabilities and eveyone from the outside does as well, our mentality is one step at a time and how we can affect the game in front of us. Today was another step closer to what we want to achieve which is the Premier League title back."

England recall? "It would mean everything. It's hard when you're not playing for your club and especially your country. Watching them on TV is sonmething no player wants to do. All I can do is get a run of games and impress Gareth [Southgate]. If it happens it happens."

On Palace boss Roy Hodgson, who handed him his England debut: "When I see Roy he is always such a gentleman, a great manager for me and I have a lot of time for Roy."

Sky
Player ratings
Man City:
Ederson (5), Walker (6), Dias (7), Stones (8), Zinchenko (6), De Bruyne (8), Fernandinho (7), Gundogan (7), Sterling (7), Silva (7), Jesus (6).

Subs used: Foden (7), Torres (6), Cancelo (6).