Manchester City - Chelsea- Premier League - Post Match Thread- Match Stats & Reaction | Vital Football

Manchester City - Chelsea- Premier League - Post Match Thread- Match Stats & Reaction

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Manchester City 1 Chelsea 1
HT:- 0-1

City Goals - Rodri 83'
City Assists -
FT Game Stats

Possession:-
City 70..5% -Chelsea 29.5%
Shots :-
City 32 Chelsea 9 ( A premier League Stat)
On Target :-
City 5 Chelsea 6
Off Target :-
City 12 Chelsea 2
Woodwork :-
City 0 Chelsea 0
Corners :-
City 12 Chelsea 1
Offsides :-
City 0 Chelsea 5
Fouls :-
City 7 Chelsea 12
Cards :
City 1 YBernardo - Chelsea 3 Y
Attendance: 53,509

stats courtesy of
https://www.premierleague.com/match/93566 (Premier league) &
https://www.mancity.com/matchday/fixtures/mens/2023/man-city-v-chelsea-17-feb-2024?page=Commentary City

Last edited:

CITY TEAM 📋

City XI: Ederson, Walker (C), Akanji, Dias, Ake, Rodrigo, De Bruyne, Foden, Alvarez*, Doku, Haaland.
Substitutes: Ortega Moreno, Stones, Kovacic, Bernardo*, Gomez, Nunes, Bobb, Susoho, Lewis.

Last edited:

GOAL! Man City 1-1 Chelsea (Rodri, 83)​

CITY ARE ALIVE AGAIN!!!
Haaland pins Chilwell at the far post to allow Walker to fizz his shot across goal.
Again, Disasi makes the block, but it pings out to Rodri who gets his knee over the ball to shoot through the legs of Casadei... it strikes Chalobah but it's already heading into the roof of the net!
Chelsea couldn't hold out.

Man City 1-1 Chelsea​

Sky Sports' Micah Richards:
"I thought Chelsea were outstanding tonight. This gives the others a lot of hope. Chelsea kept to the task against City's movement. Haaland missed chances he normally puts away.
"Psychologically, this gives Liverpool and Arsenal a lift. It won't knock City's confidence too much so it's back to the drawing board. It means that beating Brentford in their game in hand won't send them top."

https://www.skysports.com/football/man-city-vs-chelsea/482836

'Never write off this City team'​

FT: Man City 1-1 Chelsea
87adb94a-9c4b-4b27-92ee-c4ab68ce32c4.jpg

Leon Osman
Former Everton midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live
Brilliant performance from Chelsea up until 70 minutes.
They tested Man City more than I have seen anybody before, count-attacking really well and really physical - Chelsea were happy to rough them up.
But, you can never write off this City team.

Manchester City midfielder Rodri, speaking to Sky Sports: "I think we weren’t great in the first half. We conceded another easy goal. I think we have to defend better. They almost created nothing in the first half.

"We knew about their counter-attacks and fast players, but we have to defend the counter-attack better. From there, it’s always more difficult to come back.

"It’s a matter of defending better. We tried in the second half. [We had more] spirit, we wanted the ball and wanted to take risks. We were a bit scared of the counter-attack [in the first half].

"You have to be brave."

'Never write off this City team'​

87adb94a-9c4b-4b27-92ee-c4ab68ce32c4.jpg

Leon Osman
Former Everton midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live
Brilliant performance from Chelsea up until 70 minutes.
They tested Man City more than I have seen anybody before, count-attacking really well and really physical - Chelsea were happy to rough them up.
But, you can never write off this City team.

They were allowed to “rough them up” by the weak officiating. He was unbelievably lenient and I am getting sick of it.

Chelsea manager Mauricio Pochettino, speaking to BBC Match of the Day: "I’m so pleased. I told the players I feel so proud. In the last three games we’ve started to create a very good spirit. That’s the way we want to build our team. Today was a very good opportunity to show we’re going where we want.

"The first half was really, really good. We only conceded one chance – against a team like Manchester City who, for me, are the best team in the world.

"In the second half they force you to go deep, but we created chances to score the second goal and things could have been different. It’s important that the players realise that football is really competitive and to reach the level we want, we need to suffer.

"Now we have a very good game against Liverpool [in the Carabao Cup final]. The most important thing is to keep believing. Now we have to recover and prepare for the game as well as possible."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/67788429

STATS 🔢

Rodri’s goal was his 20th in the Premier League, while he’s been involved in nine goals in 2023-24 (6 goals, 3 assists), his joint-most in a single season in the competition for Manchester City (also 9 in 2021-22).
Manchester City are unbeaten in their last 23 Premier League games at the Etihad Stadium (W18 D5), drawing four of their last seven. Indeed, they’ve only lost one of their last seven home league games when conceding the opening goal (W4 D2).

RODRIGO REACTION TO THE BBC 🗣​

"It's a point, a draw, of course we want to win and the way we performed second half we deserved a bit more but when you defend like we did you can't get more," he explained.
"We have enough experience to know it's just the beginning of the last part of the season. We want to win but we have to check ourselves and in the first half with our defending we have to be stronger for the rest of the season."

'Chelsea are a team with a lot of quality'​

74d215d1-1b6a-4091-8523-c65e2179b1e8.jpg

Manchester City
Manchester City forward Bernardo Silva, speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live: "Two different halves, first half was not good enough and very disappointing, the second half was a reaction from the team.
"But, it's not good enough to play for 45 minutes so we have to try do better next Tuesday [against Brentford].
"It is good that the game is in three days to react, but of course it is a setback as one point at home is not good enough.
"Chelsea are a team with a lot of quality, it's not by chance that they create so many difficult chances.
"The rhythm and the pressing was not good enough and when you play against the quality of Chelsea they punish you - they scored one and could have scored one or two more.
"The reaction from the team was very good, but a bit late."
On the title race: "It is entertaining for the people, but for us it is a setback and it is very tight - everyone can go for it.
"Our job is to perform at the highest possible level."

Sky Sports
Player ratings
Man City:
Ederson (7), Walker (7), Akanji (6), Dias (6), Ake (7), Rodri (8), De Bruyne (7), Foden (7), Alvarez (6), Doku (6), Haaland (6).

Subs used: Silva (6)

Chelsea: Petrovic (7), Gusto (8), Disasi (8), Colwill (8), Chilwell (7), Fernandez (7), Caicedo (6), Gallagher (7), Sterling (7), Palmer (7), Jackson (7).

Subs used: Nkunku (6), Casadei (6), Chalobah (6).

Sky Sports
Player ratings
Man City:
Ederson (7), Walker (7), Akanji (6), Dias (6), Ake (7), Rodri (8), De Bruyne (7), Foden (7), Alvarez (6), Doku (6), Haaland (6).

Subs used: Silva (6)

Chelsea: Petrovic (7), Gusto (8), Disasi (8), Colwill (8), Chilwell (7), Fernandez (7), Caicedo (6), Gallagher (7), Sterling (7), Palmer (7), Jackson (7).

Subs used: Nkunku (6), Casadei (6), Chalobah (6).

sometimes ratings bewilder me, we have more shots more corners same amount of goals yet we are scored less than Chelsea by 6 points, we must have been very lucky

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola, speaking to Sky Sports, says: "Good game. First half we didn't perform too good, second half really good. We had chances and in the second half we were better.

"I played 11 years and scored 11 goals so I can't give too much advice to Erling [Haaland]. The next one he will score. In the first half we didn't perform well and that's what we have to improve."

'You can't play for just one half against the top teams'​

74d215d1-1b6a-4091-8523-c65e2179b1e8.jpg

Manchester City
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola speaking to BBC Match of the Day after the draw with Chelsea: "We knew it [Chelsea would be a challenge]. That was a good game.
"We played incredible in the second half. The first half was not our levels but to compete against them teams you have to play 90 minutes not just one half."
On Pochettino's comments about Chelsea's performance: "Good, congratulations. If he believes that, that is good for his team."
Looking ahead to Tuesday's match against Brentford: "We play Tuesday and we are going to try and get the points. I don't have the message for the fans about that [no panic]. I will focus on my team and I am disappointed for the result. We did our best and [it finished] 1-1."

A shocker from a piss weak ref, 2 points gone in the title race that we can ill afford to lose. Viking missed a couple of great chances with his head. We never appear to play that well in the wet, this was one of those days. Credit to Godri for saving us from a home defeat with a belter with his left peg.

To be honest, I thought a draw was fair.

It was frustrating we didn't take our chances, but they had a couple of glorious ones themselves, as Ederson made a couple of super saves, to redeem himself from the earlier overplaying on the edge of his box.

If Chelsea play like this next week against Liverpool, the latter maybe changing their tune from tonight.

Evidently, Bernardo wasn't fit enough to start, which was a blow, and Stones is being carefully managed.
Haaland doesn't need telling he should've scored at least once today.

As usual due to the high line, there were plenty of times where acres of space were left for Chelsea to exploit, and a more efficient team may've done so.

In the end, I was sort of happy we came away with a point.

The crowd support was superb!