Manchester City - Aston Villa - Premier League - Post Match Thread Stats & Reaction | Vital Football

Manchester City - Aston Villa - Premier League - Post Match Thread Stats & Reaction

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Manchester City 4 Villa 1
HT 2-1
City Goals - Rodri 11' Foden 45'+1 62' 69'
⚽⚽⚽
City Assists - Doku 11' Rodri 62'
Possession

City 67.4% - Villa 32.6%
Corners :-
City 2 Villa 3
Offsides :-
City 1 Villa 1
Fouls :-
City 6 Villa 13
Cards :
City Y 1 Grealish - Villa Y 2
Shots :-
City 25 Villa 8 (A premier Stat)
Woodwork :-
City 1 Villa 0
On Target :-
City 11 Villa 3
Off Target
City 7 Villa 1
Attendance: 53,422
Wed 3 Apr 2024 Kick Off:20:15 Etihad Stadium, Manchester Att: 53,422
Ref: Darren England

Stats

Last edited:
City XI: Ortega, Lewis, Akanji, Dias (C), Gvardiol, Rodrigo*, Bernardo**, Doku***, Foden****, Grealish, Alvarez

Substitutes: Carson, Stones, Kovacic*, Haaland, De Bruyne, Gomez***, Nunes**, Bobb****, Susoho

Last edited:

GOAL! Man City 1-0 Aston Villa (Rodri, 10)​

BREAKTHROUGH!
Rodri scored against Villa to win Man City the title in 2022 and this is a sweeping finish.
Foden feeds Doku down the right and he cuts the ball back to Rodri to fire in high into the net.
But wait... there's a VAR check for offside against Doku. It's tight. Lines are being drawn.

Great team move from City'​

Man City 1-0 Aston Villa
772a0741-412f-4dd8-bd0b-10b741e87013.jpg

Paul Robinson
Former Tottenham and England goalkeeper on BBC Radio 5 Live
Really well worked down the right hand side by City.
Phil Foden feeds in Jeremy Doku with his pace in behind Lucas Digne and the cut back to Rodri is perfect. Rodri smashes the finish in past Robin Olsen who has no chance.
A great team move from City.

GOAL! Man City 2-1 Aston Villa (Foden, 45+1)​

STUNNING! Right on the stroke of half-time - City have their lead back!
What a free-kick this is. He's the one who won it, he's the one who has scored it.
The Villa wall breaks as Zaniolo jumps away from Konsa and Foden finds the gap. Olsen had no chance.
FPL Assist: None.

Man City 2-1 Aston Villa​

HALF TIME! Man City are being tested here - but they lead!
Rodri's opener was cancelled out by Jhon Duran's lovely leveller - but Phil Foden's free-kick right on the stroke of half-time has restored City's advantage.
Pep Guardiola has cut a frustrated figure on the touchline but he will be pleased with the scoreline at the break.

GOAL! Man City 3-1 Aston Villa (Foden, 62)​

WHAT A STRIKE! It's a great finish from Foden but this is all about Rodri.
The Spanish midfielder goes on a slalom run to the edge of the box and plays a quick pass out of his feet to Foden in space.
It's easy for the England international, sweeping in from in off the post.
Goal No 20 of the season for Foden. What a season. What a star.
FPL Assist: Rodri

GOAL! Man City 4-1 Aston Villa (Foden, 69)​

OH BLIMEY! OH MY WORD!
Another Phil Foden hat-trick. Brentford was the first team. Now Villa have ben dispatched.
First he wants a free-kick on the edge of the box but then City win it back and he has space around 25 yards out.
One touch, one look up and BANG! Into the top corner.
Effortless from Foden. Fabulous from Foden.

FULL-TIME​

Man City 4-1 Aston Villa
That's that. A dominant performance from Manchester City and an exceptional night for Phil Foden.
City remain third, level on points with Liverpool but separated by goal difference before the Reds take on Sheffield United tomorrow.

Rodri: One of the best games of the season​

Man City midfielder Rodri to TNT Sports:
"We played amazing from the first minutes. In general, it was one of the best games of the season.
"We knew we have to have more players in the box. In the Arsenal game, we played quite open and didn't occupy the spaces even though they played six at the back. The message at the beginning of the game was to score more goals.
"I know it's not my role to score goals, but I know I can do better with goals and assists to be more vertical. It's what I've been focusing on the last few years.
"Phil has grown every single year. He has become a more matured player. The other day against Arsenal he couldn't score, now he got three.
"We've been struggling this season to face the teams at the top. It's the top level so it's not easy. Scoring four against Villa is not easy, so credit.
"We are there. We knew we had to do the homework. We have to focus on the next game."

Foden: I prefer playing in the middle​

Man City hat-trick hero Phil Foden to TNT Sports:
"I’m just loving my football at the moment. I’m just playing with a smile on my face and trying to help the team because I know I’m capable of scoring goals. I did that so I’m delighted.
"I just set myself [the target] of better than last season. Just get more goals, more contributions. I’m up this year so I’m doing well.
"I seem to have some really technical play in the pockets and out wide, I can do that job but I prefer it in the middle. This year, I’m growing into the game. The manager spoke on showing rhythm and slowing the game down. I’ve added that to my game.
"He said before, ‘you’ll grow into that position.’ Because before, I was going so quick, attacking every action. Now I’m getting the balance just right.
"I’m always trying to arrive in the box, tat’s where the goals are at. You get at least five a season by arriving into the box late. So I’ve been working on all aspects of my game in the midfield. Still a lot of improve on, but I’m enjoying that position.
"I don’t actually take free-kicks, I don’t know why I took that one. Julian was on it, I just felt confident at the time saying: ‘Julian, do you mind giving me this one?’ And to be fair to him, he gave it to me. It paid off in the end.
"It’s funny you said that, when I was running off celebrating [the third goal] I was with Jack and he said ‘Wayne Rooney goal’. That’s what it reminded him of.
"Lost for words on this guy. He [Rodri] can do everything. He’s adding goals to his game. He can do it all, dribble. I don’t see a weakness in his game. He’s our most important player. When he doesn’t play, it’s a big difference.
"We don’t really look too far ahead. We just look on the next game. If we’re in and around it with 10 games to go, we know it’s possible. We’re there now, so we need to keep believing and that’s what the manager believed today. Fight to the end."

'Foden is one of the best in the league'​

FT: Man City 4-1 Aston Villa
bbd98bac-278e-4401-ae2c-4a618bc8df28.jpg

Theo Walcott
Former Arsenal and Southampton forward on BBC Radio 5 Live
Phil Foden has learned from Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Pep Guardiola, Kevin de Bruyne... He is, at this moment in time, one of the best players in the Premier League and at the tender age of 23.
He's playing like a 30-year-old, he's that knowledgeable.
He's an extraordinary talent and because he's grown up in the city, with the academy and how much it means to him it's even more special.
He's living his dream.

Sky Sports
Player ratings
Man City:
Ortega (7), Lewis (8), Akanji (6), Dias (6), Gvardiol (6), Rodri (9), Bernardo (7), Foden (10), Doku (7), Alvarez (7), Grealish (7).

Subs used: Kovacic (6), Nunes (6), Bobb (6), Gomez (6).
Player of the match: Phil Foden.

Manchester Evening News
Player ratings
Man City:
Ortega (8), Lewis (7), Akanji (7), Dias (6), Gvardiol (7), Rodri (9), Bernardo (7), Foden (9), Doku (7), Alvarez (6), Grealish (7).

Subs used: Kovacic (6), Nunes (6), Bobb (6), Gomez (6).

'We could've scored more goals'​

FT: Man City 4-1 Aston Villa
74d215d1-1b6a-4091-8523-c65e2179b1e8.jpg

Manchester City
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola speaking to BBC Match of the Day:
"We played a really good game, a month ago at Villa Park they were better. Today we were better.
"We missed a lot of chances, but we created a lot. We played really good inside with Phil, Rico and Rodri. Wides were really good with Jack and Jeremy so we made a good game. We created a lot and could've scored more goals."
On resting Erling Haaland and Kevin de Bruyne: "They could play and rest other players. We put the players out to win it not just to rest players. We need fresh legs and we only played three days ago against Arsenal. We needed it because of the schedule so we needed the rest."

When Pep says he needs all his players, he does really mean it, and they all get their chance during a long season. Pep has a 75% win record as a coach, but how many coaches would rest argueably our two best players against a team in the top four. I would have played both and took them off after 60, if we were winning with a cushion, but not our brave coach. This is what makes him special, he believes in his squad, and in himself to get selections right. The Viking and Red Kev get a bit more rest to heal their bodies.