Managerial merry go round | Page 72 | Vital Football

Managerial merry go round

We are fast approaching October and November, the notorious sacking months.

I wonder who will be next to go in League One? VGR fans are not enamoured of Ian Burchnall, while Ben Garner already has his critics at Charlton (saved only by the fans' dislike of Mr Sandgaard and his PhD sidekick). Grant McCann must be in danger at notoriously impatient Peterborough after five defeats from their opening nine league games. Cheltenham fans already believe Wade Elliott is out of his depth and, more surprisingly, Liam Manning is under fire despite leading MKD to the play-offs last season,

My virtual money is on Karl Robinson, whose fans are almost united against him despite Oxford being poor starters traditionally.

Place your bets now.

If Peterborough loose their next match Mcann will be sweating.
Moyse in the Premier at West Ham who again had a good season last season must be sweating as well.
I also think Rodgers may walk no money for signings this season and it is showing in results. Dont think they can afford to sack him . But I doubt he can see anything but a massive struggle there.

Sheridan's managerial career is extraordinary, it is unbelievable that he can still get a job: 737 league games, win ratio 36%, average points per game of only 1.32. He has had ten jobs in the last six years and has not lasted a whole season at any club since his spell at Plymouth (2013-15). He has won promotion just once in his managerial career, which was on a wave of cash at Chesterfield. Three of the clubs he has managed in the Football League are now in the National League. Added to which, there have been reports of fights with players and disagreements with chairmen. I understand he is not on our radar.
He must be cheap.

I think Manning will be ok, MK aren't a side that sack managers too often I don't think and Winkleman appears pretty patient. They've had the same issue this season as we had last, having lot important players.

Posh and Oxford are interesting ones though. McCann at Hull was fairly stodgy, and I suspect the Oxford lot will be thinking they should be getting better value for money out of Robinson.

In L2, I'm not sure who's going to touch Hartlepool because they seem to be trying their best to get relegated again, all isn't well up there.

Will Colchester finally appoint someone from outside the Club rather than going with youth coaches? They seem a L2 side who will eventually drop into the NL, you can't keep being as bad as them every season and not run out of luck.

Also, Harris at Gillingham is hardly setting the world alight.

Walsall seem to be underperforming under Flynn, Newport aren't doing great either.

Another one with a thoroughly average record.
Mansfield - play off final (losing on penalties) June 2003 - sacked Dec 2004
Notts County - 22 away games without defeat up to Jan 2013 - sacked Feb 2013
Carlisle - 4 years as manager
Northampton - June 20 - gained promotion (Feb 21 sacked)

Average career for most managers - do pretty well, then things only "average" for more than a week - sacked.

Only non average spell at Carlisle - where that club didn't seem to regard anything but great over achievement as unacceptable.

He has managed a number of clubs that have not found a Messiah to do a better job since he left.

Perhaps it's not a coincidence our club continues to prosper - with the common thread being Clive and the board - not a particular manager.