Manager | Vital Football

Manager

Medley

Vital Newbie
Ade to learn his fate tomorrow with announcement on Tuesday. I haven't a clue on the decision, although rumour is KJ has until today to decide if he wants it, if not, Ade is second choice. I assume KJ will only take it (as has said elsewhere on this MB) if he gets a competitive budget, and a decent salary. Hopefully we'll all know within the next 48 hours

KJ would be nice, AP not so, but I'll be behind whoever steps in to sort out the mess in that dressing room, and I'm not talking about Dack leaving his pants on the floor.

Medley - 14/5/2017 16:30

I assume KJ will only take it (as has said elsewhere on this MB) if he gets a competitive budget, and a decent salary. Hopefully we'll all know within the next 48 hours

We can't afford a competitive budget or decent salary.

And how long will kj last 3 months when he finds out all the problems he faces the most important one being no funds

tcblue - 14/5/2017 18:23

And how long will kj last 3 months when he finds out all the problems he faces the most important one being no funds

KJ walked away from Rotherham after false promises. Scally will be up front about the budget. If it's not good enough KJ won't come to start with.

I don't know how he can be upfront because he doesn't know how much money he will be getting from catering fiasco

Medley - 14/5/2017 16:30

Ade to learn his fate tomorrow with announcement on Tuesday. I haven't a clue on the decision, although rumour is KJ has until today to decide if he wants it, if not, Ade is second choice. I assume KJ will only take it (as has said elsewhere on this MB) if he gets a competitive budget, and a decent salary. Hopefully we'll all know within the next 48 hours
Is this just rumour that there is to be a announcement, announced somewhere? Seen nothing on news now.

If there's any truth in this incoming can believe that Pens may hear this week.I can even believe there is a outside chance of a press conference. But I doubt it would be about a manager.There is the released list.The bit about jacket if not Pennock is too far fetched. Jacket as manager would not only be on at least twice the money he would also want double the budget on players .So in my view while one or the other may be possible. The chairman would have a budget while thar might be flexible I am certain it will not be that flexible.

I'm fine with either to be honest. I just want the club the start clearing out the dross and building a team that wants to put in the effort required and fight for the Shirt. Ady has an advantage of having seen the squad and it's faults already...so knows exactly who to keep and get rid of.

I am really unsure whether we should risk a more expensive well known manager at assumed significantly more cost. I think we have another year of a really tight budget so is it better to give Ade guidance by having a "Lennie Lawrence" type advisor or hope the well known manager can perform a miracle with very limited funds? Having an experienced manager doesn't guarantee success. I will be supporting whatever Scally decides.

Can anyone really see pennock get the job after some of the comments he has come out and said. If it is out of jackett( if he decides to take the job) or pennock then that is poor from scally for not looking for other managers available.

Agree with you 88.

If this is only a two horse race then we're relying completely on KJ accepting meager rations or else we'll be seeing another year of the last 4 months.

Pennock's definitely been hedging his bets. He knows he's already on thin ice with fans here so isn't going to hold his tongue in making a case for himself in the media for when other jobs come open in lower leagues.

Newnham - 15/5/2017 08:04

I am really unsure whether we should risk a more expensive well known manager at assumed significantly more cost. I think we have another year of a really tight budget so is it better to give Ade guidance by having a "Lennie Lawrence" type advisor or hope the well known manager can perform a miracle with very limited funds? Having an experienced manager doesn't guarantee success. I will be supporting whatever Scally decides.

This sounds just like the sort of thought PS must be having about now ! PS has been at the helm long enough to know whether or not he has got a decent manager in post. I imagine that he has probably weighed up, on numerous occasions, the pros and cons of spending more on a seasoned manager and expecting a better run, better organised team, at the expense of a reduced player budget, versus a punt on a less expensive, less experienced manager with a more generous player budget.

I`d like to think that, as a club that seems to have opted for the less experienced manager option for quite a long spell, it might be time for a change.

Is an advisor the way ahead? Not sure about that for the Gills at this time. There is a risk that an "advisor" post would bring with it a sense of the manager/head coach being undermined in the eyes of the players. A culture change might be a better option. It seems to me that it is becoming increasingly more difficult to manage the egos of professional footballers, even at League One level, and a strong character with a proven track record would, on balance, be a more sound choice.

Anyway, interesting thoughts Newnham, (btw, do you mind if i call you Paul ... :45: )

chris who - 15/5/2017 00:39

If there's any truth in this incoming can believe that Pens may hear this week.I can even believe there is a outside chance of a press conference. But I doubt it would be about a manager.There is the released list.

Surely the released list depends on who's in charge? Pennock will presumably already know which players he'd want to retain and which players to let go, but a new manager coming in might have different ideas. Makes sense to have the manager situation resolved before deciding on the released list.

madrid_gill - 15/5/2017 11:30

chris who - 15/5/2017 00:39

If there's any truth in this incoming can believe that Pens may hear this week.I can even believe there is a outside chance of a press conference. But I doubt it would be about a manager.There is the released list.

Surely the released list depends on who's in charge? Pennock will presumably already know which players he'd want to retain and which players to let go, but a new manager coming in might have different ideas. Makes sense to have the manager situation resolved before deciding on the released list.
It is likely in most cases managers would agree on the way forward clearly we need a clear out .I would be very surprised if there was anyone in the frame who wanted to keep more than half at most.Therefore there is no reason why that half at least shouldn't be told officially that they have been released .