Manager? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Manager?

Whilst I am unhappy with how we set up, some players playing out of position and with some of the recruitment, I would certainly not want us to change manager. I hope MA gets us through this difficult season and we can come out the other side a better team and we can learn from this.

Don’t really know what to say and a little flabbergasted if truth be told. Be careful what you wish for is what I will say. Many people on here have seen this before, a little noise in the corner here and there then descends into a clamour for regime change (manager). Then that descends into a wrong appointment being made which descends into another managerial change and the spiral down the leagues until we are in the National League. That puts pressure on club finances as all those who joined the good ship LCFC in 2016 have jumped ship not to be seen until the next FA Cup QF.

This season may not be great so far and many I suspect are witnessing a period of little success on the pitch coupled with no fist pumps. However, we have one of the best coaches and hound him out of this club at your peril.

I suggest perhaps the eye was taken off the recruitment ball for whatever reason. I also suspect that Tayo, Scully, TJ were MApp signings because coming from an under 23 he would know them on the under 23 circuit when at West Brom. Once we get our recruitment right imo and stay focussed we should be ok.

Last edited:
I think that the recruitment aspect is quite interesting in so much as we seem to have not picked up players who were probably our first choices last summer. I can think of Jordan Graham, Hanlon and Whitaker who were heavily linked with us , none of whom arrived. There is every chance that others fell by the wayside. Now all or none of them could have been the greatest signings of all time for us, or being slagged off every game for not being up to it, but I do think we didn't get our number 1 targets in the last window

I think that the recruitment aspect is quite interesting in so much as we seem to have not picked up players who were probably our first choices last summer. I can think of Jordan Graham, Hanlon and Whitaker who were heavily linked with us , none of whom arrived. There is every chance that others fell by the wayside. Now all or none of them could have been the greatest signings of all time for us, or being slagged off every game for not being up to it, but I do think we didn't get our number 1 targets in the last window

I suspect we couldn’t afford our number 1 targets in the summer.

Definitely the case, those that have been higher have broken the bank to get back up, going to be some are going to be very disappointed in May.

And the repeated comments by Michael about the multiple barmy budgets clearly shows we were outpriced of possibly most of his targets.
Add to that the crazy crowding of the injury room, it's actually pretty remarkable that we're even mid-table.

If we can get more players fit and available and can afford a couple or so extra signings after Christmas, then mid-table or a bit better should be more than achievable.
If bad luck continues to go against us and no better players can be signed then we will be dependent on just how much character the current players show.

Anyway, keep on debating, daft or not !
And keep on backing Michael !!

Nothing wrong to talk about it... MA isn't untouchable is he ?

In my eyes we'll better to stick with him though. At least for now.
After all he is a great coach (not necessarily manager...) who is good at making players better. We have seen him doing that with many players already. They will get better...
I think we failed as a club in last transfer window by bringing very average footballers that are not able to replace the enormous amount of quality that left in the summer ( Grant, Johnson, Edun, Rogers). But I believe that MA is the man to make them better on the training pitch. Better to the point where we will be able to stay up this season with no drama at least...

What I don't like about MA is his arrogance..
See, Pompey got beaten 4-0 at home last night. Cowley is raising his hand and says : ,,I got it wrong, this is my responsibility. Sorry... "
Have you ever seen MA do that... ? It's never his fault is it ?
It's always: referee made bad decision, we are too young side, we scored too early etc. Or even worse singling out the players and blame them. He never did anything wrong in his eyes....

Btw Cowley, he might be in trouble at Pompeys and MA was always vocal about wanting another shot over there. Swap after the season anyone :) ????
I would not mind ….

Danny left because he didn't want to live within the Board's means. What planet are you on?

"Gutless, no leaders or shouters on the pitch, predictable ploddy side to side … … we offer nothing thru the middle... Add little understanding between the players and poor fitness … poor tactics and subs"

Some of you should have a look at Portsmouth's forum, that's just one poster's verdict, everyone else there seems to agree. It was also a widely held opinion at Huddersfield.

I think the current manager at LCFC is as good as this club can get - save for an unknown who comes in for his first job and proves to be magnificent.

I imagine there's every chance the Cowleys will end up back here, which may be a good thing as they'll have had the ambition knocked out of them and realism may have kicked in. Better to go somewhere the fans don't think you're out of your depth (this being the Portsmouth support's favourite cliche by the looks of it).

There'll be a new manager here in the next couple of years in any event, one way or the other. Why wish it any sooner?

"Gutless, no leaders or shouters on the pitch, predictable ploddy side to side … … we offer nothing thru the middle... Add little understanding between the players and poor fitness … poor tactics and subs"

Some of you should have a look at Portsmouth's forum, that's just one poster's verdict, everyone else there seems to agree. It was also a widely held opinion at Huddersfield.

I think the current manager at LCFC is as good as this club can get - save for an unknown who comes in for his first job and proves to be magnificent.

I imagine there's every chance the Cowleys will end up back here, which may be a good thing as they'll have had the ambition knocked out of them and realism may have kicked in. Better to go somewhere the fans don't think you're out of your depth (this being the Portsmouth support's favourite cliche by the looks of it).

There'll be a new manager here in the next couple of years in any event, one way or the other. Why wish it any sooner?

I think they did a good job at Huddersfield to be fair. Re their current employer their predecessor Jackett is not a bad manager I think Portsmouth are just a bit of a mess generally.

there comes a point when all managers are fired, how soon for us I think is our form until Xmas.

No manager or player should be immune from criticism.

I am sure Appleton is reflecting on things as we speak.

Last edited:
Danny left because he didn't want to live within the Board's means. What planet are you on?
Also because he had a life changing opportunity at Huddersfield. Doesn't mean he can't come back here one day. Maybe even do sort of comeback that Eddie Howe did at Bournemouth. Who knows ..
As for the question on what planet am I on.
Well at the moment on a planet where football is played in a very boring, slow, predictable and absolutely toothless way unfortunately...

Also because he had a life changing opportunity at Huddersfield. Doesn't mean he can't come back here one day. Maybe even do sort of comeback that Eddie Howe did at Bournemouth. Who knows ..
As for the question on what planet am I on.
Well at the moment on a planet where football is played in a very boring, slow, predictable and absolutely toothless way unfortunately...

"Life changing opportunity at Huddersfield", you're writing on a lincoln board with the benefit of hindsight, not writing a dubious Danny PR quote for the Yorkshire evening post in 2019 ffs.

There was definitely some weirdness about the budget before they left and I don't think think thought they could be competitive in L1. Tbh I'd rather we were a bit toothless than getting pumped 4 in consecutive games with a higher budget. Their next job might be a league two one now.

They were fantastic for us but we've moved on.

"Life changing opportunity at Huddersfield", you're writing on a lincoln board with the benefit of hindsight, not writing a dubious Danny PR quote for the Yorkshire evening post in 2019 ffs.

There was definitely some weirdness about the budget before they left and I don't think think thought they could be competitive in L1. Tbh I'd rather we were a bit toothless than getting pumped 4 in consecutive games with a higher budget. Their next job might be a league two one now.

They were fantastic for us but we've moved on.
Thanks for reminding me where I'm posting. Such a helpful and nice gesture 😊
As for the ,, life changing opportunity " I think I was right. It was exactly that. Surely from the financial point of view. I think they (Cowleys) are set up for life in this aspect now after their short spell over there.
As for ,,moving on '' I did ages ago,trust me. It was just a little suggestion that it might ( come back of DC ) happen one day and that I won't be sad about it.
To be honest they are not even my favourite candidates though. IF we were about to replace MA at some point I have someone else on the top of my wish list....

I feel like I have been inadvertently sucked into a Twilight Zone where fans know more about what goes on within a club and have perfect insight into the hidden Machiavellianisms* of individuals and corporate thought.

The Cowleys presided over the greatest rise in fortunes the club has ever known, with remarkable highs and Appleton has presided over the best football Lincoln have played in living memory. Any club should be proud to have had both incumbents and should fight tooth and nail to keep which ever is in place.

There have been far too many dark, low (sometimes submersive*) moments in the last 35 years to think that where we are now is in any way worthy of raising the issue of changing a manager.

Get a grip, give everyone involved some latitude and re-visit this thread in March.

* I don't care if either word doesn't actually exist. If Ulysses can still be in print, anything can.

Last edited:
I feel like I have been inadvertently sucked into a Twilight Zone where fans know more about what goes on within a club and have perfect insight into the hidden Machiavellianisms* of individuals and corporate thought.

The Cowleys presided over the greatest rise in fortunes the club has ever known, with remarkable highs and Appleton has presided over the best football Lincoln have played in living memory. Any club should be proud to have had both incumbents and should fight tooth and nail to keep which ever is in place.

There have been far too many dark, low (sometimes submersive*) moments in the last 35 years to think that where we are now is in any way worthy of raising the issue of changing a manager.

Get a grip, give everyone involved some latitude and re-visit this thread in March.

* I don't care if either word doesn't actually exist. If Ulysses can still be in print, anything can.

Exactly this. MA appears to be a victim of his own success (for some!). Last season was truly remarkable considering the pre season expectations. Not even into November of the next season and imps fans acting like entitled Sunderland or Ipswich fans. If we were still in the national league and were 17th after just missing out the year before fair enough.... this is league 1 for goodness sakes!

The 433 is clearly not working ,would like him to try some thing different ,if we are getting beat by the high press ,why dont Map try the high press ? With a 4141 formation,or maybe he should study some of bielsas tactics of playing out from the back because his tactics arent working .

The 433 is clearly not working ,would like him to try some thing different ,if we are getting beat by the high press ,why dont Map try the high press ? With a 4141 formation,or maybe he should study some of bielsas tactics of playing out from the back because his tactics arent working .

We don't have a number 9 to play a solo role. We have no target man. Nor do we currently have a defensive central midfield player to hold the line. Nor do we have two fast players who can play on the outside of the 2nd 4.

Without an experienced, fit, CDM, 4-1-4-1 falls over. Without a target man, 4-1-4-1 falls over.

4-1-4-1 particularly relies on experienced players have a strong tactical knowledge and understanding of the game

Other than that, great idea.