Man City v Latics-FA Cup 3rd Round-1970/71

springy-park

Vital 1st Team Regular
A great read, about this match:

CITY 1 - WIGAN ATHLETIC 0
2nd January 1971
-- Attendance: 46,212

City

Corrigan, Book, Mann, Doyle, Booth, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Jeffries –
sub Carrodus(69)

Wigan Athletic:
Reeves, Turner, Sutherland, Milne, Coutts, Gillibrand, Temple, Todd, Davies, Fleming, Oates

City’s manager Joe Mercer gave his usual dignified verdict:
“We won. 1-0 but give praise to them. We got the win, but they take the glory”.

City’s senior coach Malcolm Allison was, as could be expected, more expansive amid his relief: “They are the finest non-league side l have ever seen,” he insisted.

Peter Slingsby gave Milne’s men a rapturous write up in the News of the World:
“These heroes from the mining community well deserved a draw against City,
the side who have won almost every major honour in the last few years.

“Wigan were drained of energy at the end as their 15,000 followers were joined by City’s relieved legions applauding them off”

There were, however some tangible rewards from Wigan Athletic’s first competitive encounter with the Blues. The picked up around £8,000 as their share of the Maine Road gate receipts, a princely sum a decade ago…

Link Below:

Broke our hearts and 33,333 replay tickets were put on the back of the fire and what would have been our record attendance was forgotten about.

A great read, about this match:

CITY 1 - WIGAN ATHLETIC 0
2nd January 1971
-- Attendance: 46,212

City

Corrigan, Book, Mann, Doyle, Booth, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Jeffries –
sub Carrodus(69)

Wigan Athletic:
Reeves, Turner, Sutherland, Milne, Coutts, Gillibrand, Temple, Todd, Davies, Fleming, Oates

City’s manager Joe Mercer gave his usual dignified verdict:
“We won. 1-0 but give praise to them. We got the win, but they take the glory”.

City’s senior coach Malcolm Allison was, as could be expected, more expansive amid his relief: “They are the finest non-league side l have ever seen,” he insisted.

Peter Slingsby gave Milne’s men a rapturous write up in the News of the World:
“These heroes from the mining community well deserved a draw against City,
the side who have won almost every major honour in the last few years.

“Wigan were drained of energy at the end as their 15,000 followers were joined by City’s relieved legions applauding them off”

There were, however some tangible rewards from Wigan Athletic’s first competitive encounter with the Blues. The picked up around £8,000 as their share of the Maine Road gate receipts, a princely sum a decade ago…

Link Below:
Latics sub was Ian Ledgard.

I thought the club did have it? Could be wrong.
Think I've read that before, but like yourself, unsure if club do have any match coverage. Year before I was born, but read a fair bit about the game. Sure I read a quote from one of City's players that "at no time did it enter my head we were playing anything other than a First Division side".

Must have been an amazing day, for all concerned with the club, our collection of non-leaguers, giving one of the best teams in the land a real run for their money. Know it wouldn't happen now, but suppose it's the 1970's equivalent of Chorley going to the Emirates, Etihad or Anfield and giving their first XI hardest game they'd play all season

Very true,

when we played Birmingham City (Away) 1978 - FA Cup nearly 30,000 on.

when we played Everton (Away) 1980 - FA Cup 51,863 on.

Just on Everton, as kid, remember being in car when mum dropped dad off at OGS, coaches absolutely everywhere, seemed to a kid like 000's of them. Not sure where it ever went, but pic of scoreboard showing attendance at Goodison was in Supporters Club Lounge at SP for years

Very true,

when we played Birmingham City (Away) 1978 - FA Cup nearly 30,000 on.

when we played Everton (Away) 1980 - FA Cup 51,863 on.
I was at St Andrews. Blues had a decent side then with Alf Ramsay as manager and Trevor Francis and Keith Bertschin up front, but we did ok despite losing and won a lot of friends that day which ultimately helped us get in the league the following season.

Just on Everton, as kid, remember dropping being in car when mum dropped dad off at OGS, coaches absolutely everywhere, seemed to a kid like 000's of them. Not sure where it ever went, but pic of scoreboard showing attendance at Goodison was in Supporters Club Lounge at SP for years
I’ve got a book with that photo in it. What a day that was. Loudest atmosphere I’ve ever been in including all the prem games and Wembley.

Think I've read that before, but like yourself, unsure if club do have any match coverage. Year before I was born, but read a fair bit about the game. Sure I read a quote from one of City's players that "at no time did it enter my head we were playing anything other than a First Division side".

Must have been an amazing day, for all concerned with the club, our collection of non-leaguers, giving one of the best teams in the land a real run for their money. Know it wouldn't happen now, but suppose it's the 1970's equivalent of Chorley going to the Emirates, Etihad or Anfield and giving their first XI hardest game they'd play all season
It was a fantastic day out, despite the result,
as it was when we lost to

Birmingham City (Away) 1978 - FA Cup nearly 30,000 on.

Everton (Away) 1980 - FA Cup, 51,863 on.

I was at St Andrews. Blues had a decent side then with Alf Ramsay as manager and Trevor Francis and Keith Bertschin up front, but we did ok despite losing and won a lot of friends that day which ultimately helped us get in the league the following season.

He got every club in the Midlands to vote for us didn't he? Know people who went (dad included) who've said that while Francis & Bertschin were superb up front for Brum, if it hadn't been for Montgomery, we'd have had 3 or 4 ourselves

We played fairly well, Montgomery (Goalkeeper) pulled off some fantastic saves that day, we was behind the goals and he stopped some (point blank) efforts from the Latics forwards that day.

He got every club in the Midlands to vote for us didn't he? Know people who went (dad included) who've said that while Francis & Bertschin were superb up front for Brum, if it hadn't been for Montgomery, we'd have had 3 or 4 ourselves
Francis ripped us to pieces out wide and pretty much was the difference between the two sides. We played well. I was on the front row of the stand with the exec boxes. TV cameras were there. The old St Andrews had a huge terrace which was quite something after being used to Springfield Park!

Your right, Montgomery was in superb form that day,
he stopped some 'certain' goals from the Latics players.