"Make Gillingham Great Again" | Vital Football

"Make Gillingham Great Again"

Gillingham have always been great, and by far the greatest team the world has ever seen! :-)

Steve Lovell has always been my choice. He was a class player for us , and is a Legend.

Gillingham are a great team ! We have fans around the world !

SL is part of our story , and I know folk will moan (Old boys network etc).

COYG

Finally, someone saying what we've all been thinking. This League's been screwing us for years. Very bad.

Either we win more than 50 percent of all games with each club or it's no deal. We'll play with ourselves.

This thread begs the question .One of the fondest and perhaps greatest Gillingham sides that I remember was Keith Peacock's side of the eighties .But that side never won promotion.
Would fans settle for a entertaining league one side under Lovell if he can keep us up would that be enough? I think I would settle for a Peacock type era again .

chris who - 17/11/2017 08:03

This thread begs the question .One of the fondest and perhaps greatest Gillingham sides that I remember was Keith Peacock's side of the eighties .But that side never won promotion.
Would fans settle for a entertaining league one side under Lovell if he can keep us up would that be enough? I think I would settle for a Peacock type era again .
i

If he keeps us up it can be as dull as Taylor.

I would be quite happy with 'Make Gillingham entertaining again.' SL has started to do this and has picked up points and cup wins in the process. We all know people who think they support 'great' clubs. Their expectations are more unrealistic than ours!

chris who - 17/11/2017 08:03

In 5 of Keefy's seasons we finished 6th, 8th, 4th, 5th and 5th. 8th was creditable. The other 4 seasons would all have seen us in play-offs with a good chance of promotion. Only the last of those were the play-offs an actual thing and well, you know..... :21:

Going to Walsall on Saturday and actually looking forward to it. Steve's definitely earned the right to stay in charge. But the fact is, we've still got one of the least talented squads for many a year - and the 'goals for' column remains a worry. If he keeps us up, job done. Greatness can wait till next season!

I wonder if SL will start getting suited and booted for games, or continue as an old school tracksuit manager?

I'm a tad too young to remember the Peacock years but I recall the great team under Pulis and PT's first stint (the years of Bob Taylor/Carl Asaba/Paul Smith/Vince
Bartram/John Hodge/Barry Ashby/Thommo... I could go on!) between 1998 and the summer of 2000 and that was a truly great time to be a Gills fan.

I still remember various people-including random Watford, West Ham and even Barnsley fans- congratulating me personally as a Gills fan on the tube on the way back from Wembley on that day in May (2000) after we achieved our holy grail and won promotion to the Championship. That and the 48,000 fans in our end that day made it seem as of the whole country except Wigan were willing us to win.

It all seemed to peak for me on Boxing Day 2000 when we smashed Palace 4-1 at home, as we could by then see that we were more than capable of holding our own in the Championship.