Mahoney open to staying | Vital Football

Mahoney open to staying

I would like to see him stay. He's clearly talented and on several occasions has lit games up with streaks of real quality. On an equal number of occasions he's stank the place out by just not turning up, but I am not sure why he's received so much stick for this in proportion to the rest of the squad. Whatever is going on is clearly not limited to him.

Personally I'm not convinced by that argument if I'm honest. He knows he's got no chance of a new contract at Huddersfield and so he's laid his cards on the table hoping to be kept on here.

If we saw more of the Mahoney that appeared at home against Morecambe and on a limited number of other occasions I'd be happy to see him stay, but for me he's been frustrating this season, regularly going missing entirely during games and often lacking the confidence to take on and beat his man. He clearly has ability and has come from two divisions higher so should be able to regularly take on defenders at this level, but all too often passes square or backwards rather than attacking.

Pretty.much agree with Herr. He said in his interview he's "got so much more to give".

My question would be why? Why haven't you given your all already?

Mahoney has shown he can be a match winner in games this season, i'm just not convinced he's shown it often enough. This League needs players who are willing to roll their sleeves up and work and dig in for the cause. Too many times in games he's gone missing when that has been required IMO.

Think getting pace in forward wide areas is far more important than skill.

I've said this on other threads, but no thanks. He's supposed to be a winger, but lacks pace. He occasionally produces a moment of magic, but not often enough. He also goes missing in games so I'm not convinced about his temperament. He's the sort of player who may flourish in a very successful team, but I think we need something different.

Seeking pastures new as he knows he has zero future at Huddersfield. Wouldn't come cheap. Lots of technical ability & has it in him to dominate games at L2 but the evidence is he does so only fleetingly. Certainly wouldn't be value for money.

Need a pacy out & out winger who can beat their opponent. That's not your man Mahoney.

Money better spent elsewhere.

No thanks. If I was to pick a player to sum up this season and how it mirrors the teams performances it would be Mahoney. Looks good in spells, odd moments of real quality but far too often goes missing and isn't prepared to roll up their sleeves and dig in. A luxury we probably can afford financially but not for the bigger picture of where we want to be. Money much better spent elsewhere.

Need a pacy out & out winger who can beat their opponent. That's not your man Mahoney.
It’s a no from me too based on suspected cost and need to prioritise other areas (he and Hutton get in each other’s way a lot too).

However, perhaps he’s one of the players that would benefit most from having some team mates blessed with pace.

It’s a no from me too based on suspected cost and need to prioritise other areas (he and Hutton get in each other’s way a lot too).

However, perhaps he’s one of the players that would benefit most from having some team mates blessed with pace.
I agree with your last point and think it makes the task of recruitment/retention more of a jigsaw puzzle than hard and fast lists. Clearly we need pace, power and goals but a number of players would be able to show a lot more with those elements in front of them. It's still fun to play build a team with an unrestricted budget, the ability to ditch players still under contract and the the certainty that targets will sign up on demand.

Perhaps we could attract better players when someone like Mahoney is looking to stay with the club as he believes we are heading in the right direction.

I’d keep him as he’s our joint top scorer on six goals and he has a few assists as well.
He’s the only player in the squad who can run at defenders and beat them quite easily. It’s his end product that needs improving, but with better strikers around him it might help him get a few more assists.
A lot of you on here have knocked him but in terms of goals / assists he’s done better than J Williams, Lapslie, Hawkins, Nadesan etc so there’s no guarantee someone else could come into his position and get a better output overall.

I said it on the match thread I think. I’m not questioning his ability but I don’t think he’s suited to league 2 football. Doesn’t have the necessary grit to drive a result out or change a match.

No from me.

We need a player comfortable on the left, to compliment Hutton on the right. Plus, as others have pointed out, a wide player should frighten the opposition with their pace as well as their delivery.

Otherwise, play narrow with numbers in midfield rather than out and out wingers, but that would negate Hutton's signing. Even though fans rave about John Hodge he mostly came off the bench.

Not for me, unless he's prepared to take a reasonable wage.

Far too much ability at this level to be so inconsistent. L2 doesn't suit his game.

No thanks. If I was to pick a player to sum up this season and how it mirrors the teams performances it would be Mahoney. Looks good in spells, odd moments of real quality but far too often goes missing and isn't prepared to roll up their sleeves and dig in. A luxury we probably can afford financially but not for the bigger picture of where we want to be. Money much better spent elsewhere.
This.

If he is kept on I'd be seriously worried about next season before a ball is kicked. The most classic example in the squad re underachievement. Obviously not as bad as JET, but definitely of that ilk.

I’d keep him as he’s our joint top scorer on six goals and he has a few assists as well.
He’s the only player in the squad who can run at defenders and beat them quite easily. It’s his end product that needs improving, but with better strikers around him it might help him get a few more assists.
A lot of you on here have knocked him but in terms of goals / assists he’s done better than J Williams, Lapslie, Hawkins, Nadesan etc so there’s no guarantee someone else could come into his position and get a better output overall.
Better than sh#t isn't good enough for me. I'd bin the others you mentioned too.