Magic of the FA Cup gone? | Page 19 | Vital Football

Magic of the FA Cup gone?

I'm not a lover of VAR & it clearly robbed Coventry of such a historic win. On the other hand, imagine had VAR been invented & trialled in our play off final Vs Gillingham when we were robbed of what would have been our 3rd goal that clearly was over the line.

Never seen that Gillingham game back. However I still wouldn’t want VAR intervening in it. Football is about entertainment, spontaneity, unpredictability and emotion. How technology can be used to erode all that to adjudicate someone was a toe nail offside is beyond me - and I’d say the same if we were the the ‘lucky’ recipient of such a decision.

Offsides over the years seems to have changed constantly, at different points they said give the attacker the benefit of the doubt, that there must be 'daylight', that being level was onside and now it seems to be looking to give offsides based on an inch.

I don't know why it's changed so much, but the current version when we are zooming in so much that the high res image because blurry to work out if a players big toe is or isn't in line with the defender it's getting ridiculous.

VAR should be restricted to running the playback at normal speed and seeing if there's any reason to over-rule the decision on the field. No freeze frame. No multiple viewings. Was it a clear error? ... full stop.

We've never seen it tried but i've often wondered rather than VAR, what if we had a official watching in the stand, not using any technology but just givinga completely different view than the ones the linesmen and ref get at pitch side.

The official from the stand could be on a head set and just give the ref a real time view as and when needed, but the ref would still make the final call. Just as the ref does with his linesmen.

VAR doesn't seem to be working as people hoped so maybe something like this could give the officials a bit of support without slowing down the game or needing expensive technology, so it could be easily rolled out at lower league clubs if they found it helped.

We've never seen it tried but i've often wondered rather than VAR, what if we had a official watching in the stand, not using any technology but just givinga completely different view than the ones the linesmen and ref get at pitch side.

The official from the stand could be on a head set and just give the ref a real time view as and when needed, but the ref would still make the final call. Just as the ref does with his linesmen.

VAR doesn't seem to be working as people hoped so maybe something like this could give the officials a bit of support without slowing down the game or needing expensive technology, so it could be easily rolled out at lower league clubs if they found it helped.
I suppose the only issue there would be the angle the additional official was viewing it from. Could be misleading.

I'm not a lover of VAR & it clearly robbed Coventry of such a historic win. On the other hand, imagine had VAR been invented & trialled in our play off final Vs Gillingham when we were robbed of what would have been our 3rd goal that clearly was over the line.

Goal line technology, which does work, would have sorted that out mate, but I personally hope we never have VAR at any game we play.

I suppose the only issue there would be the angle the additional official was viewing it from. Could be misleading.

Wouldn't be perfect but with VAR making mistakes regularly, if we want to give refs some help I think it'd be worth trying something different.