Luton v Manchester City - Sunday 10th December 2023 - 14:00 GMT - Premier League Match Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Luton v Manchester City - Sunday 10th December 2023 - 14:00 GMT - Premier League Match Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
The Game
The least said about the last few weeks, is probably the best policy, take that sheet out of the book and scrap it and let us start with a clean sheet.
Sundays game involves one of the promoted sides from last season and their ground is small compared with others in the Premier but has been upgraded to conform with the standards required by the Authorities
Luton Town are struggling at the bottom end of the table but that does not mean that they are push-overs and City need to be at their best as they gave Arsenal a near scare in midweek. It will be their Cup Final because City are coming to town and everyone wants to beat them. Neither team have any player suspended and it will all be down to who is fit to play.
Pep Guardiola believes recent results may have given City the ‘shake’ that was needed as we chase a potential recording-breaking fourth Premier League title in a row (https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/pep-guardiola-luton-town-press-conference-written-63837634)
Keith Curle and Joleon Lescott on the latest Matchday Live show, offering their expert insight before, during and after the action.
They will also answer viewer questions throughout the broadcast, with audience participation actively encouraged on Matchday Live. To get in touch, send a WhatsApp to: +447537186538.
During the game you can also listen to live audio commentary from Alistair Mann and Steve Howey https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/luton-town-v-city-match-preview-pl-10-dec-63837465

City Team News
Pep Guardiola says Kevin De Bruyne is closing in on a return, he is included in the trip to Saudi later this month, but the Boss is not sure if he will be taking part in any games.
Grealish and Rodri, return from suspension and Jeremy Doku is still a doubt.

Best Guess
Ederson
Walker, Stones, Dias, Ake
Bernardo, Rodri, Alvarez
Foden, Haaland, Grealish

Match Officials
Referee:
Tim Robinson
Assistants: Marc Perry, Mat Wilkes
Fourth official: Craig Pawson
VAR: Jarred Gillett
Assistant VAR: Darren Cann

Next
Red Star Belgrade v City - Champions League - Wed 13 Dec 2023 - 17:45 GMT

Last edited by a moderator:
Full respect to Luton, they deserved a draw vs the Arse. Can't see Jeremy being risked, so Flash should get a run out on the left with Godri returning to base the midfield. Who plays at LB and the CB's will be up to the Pep rotation system, but I expect JS to fit in alongside Godri. If we don't win this we are in trouble, never mind the title, start to worry about top 4. I expect the cheque book to come out in January looking for a LB and a midfielder. It might be time to panic if we lose.

A pretty decent summation.
Pep will know not to underestimate Luton …..but whether the players will is another matter. They will rock up to a type ground that may be unfamiliar to most of them. Tiny, cramped changing rooms with none of the comfy ergonomic massage tables and home comforts they might expect. I doubt if there will be lovable cabinets for their designer toiletry bags. I jest in part but my point is - this is like Luton’s Cup Final from Heaven. The European Champions, The Treble Winners…..”lets’ bring ‘em down to earth lads” will be their mantra. Arse needed the PGMOL to help them out with some generous added time. So our guys need to treat this like playing a League Two club in the 3rd round of the FA Cup and scrap for everything - no more lazy press, no more half-hearted tracking back, sloppy passing or careless loss of possession. BE ON IT FROM THE FIRST MINUTE.

That said I am probably going to be absent from the MDT as I our plans now involve a visit to see out grandson who recently turned 3. Will be with you all in spirit on Sunday And so just in case…..

CONE ON CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

🚨 TEAM NEWS 🚨

CITY XI: Ederson, Walker (c), Dias, Ake, Gvardiol, Rodrigo, Kovacic, Bernardo, Foden, Grealish, Alvarez
Subs: Ortega Moreno, Carson, Phillips, Stones, Gomez, Akanji, Nunes, Bobb, Lewis

OPPOSITION VIEW 💬

Luton boss Rob Edwards has spoken of admiration for Pep Guardiola – revealing he used to study books showcasing the City manager’s tactics and approach.
Speaking in his pre-match media briefing, he said: “Man City are amazing.
“I’ve got such admiration for Guardiola as a manager, wherever he’s been he has been a winner and they have built this football club over the years, it’s incredible to see the culture they have built with the players they have.
“To continuously evolve them and keep winning, including the Treble last season, everyone will now be trying to knock them off their pedestal, so it’s a big challenge for them.
“They’ve been in tight games where they could have won all of them, we know how tight games are and that’s just the nature of the Premier League.
“It’s an exciting game for us, in my opinion City are the best and Guardiola is the best. A few years ago, when I was a coach at Wolves, I was reading Guardiola’s books, studying his Bayern Munich team and it will be quite an experience going up against him.
“It would be nice to get a bit of time after the game to pick his brains, whether there will be enough time afterwards I’m not sure, but he’s someone you can learn a lot from.”

mancity.com

HAALAND ABSENCE EXPLAINED 💬

Pep Guardiola has given his verdict on Erling Haaland’s absence from today’s squad.
Talking to Sky Sports, he said: “A bone stress reaction in his foot and after the last game he felt it. He cannot play.
“I don't know [the length of the injury]. Week by week, day by day, we will see what happens.
“We play with 11 that's for sure. Erling has been so important since he's arrived that's for sure. But during the season we see this sort of thing. Injuries, suspensions, problems, we have to adapt.